The gates of WDW

Powerline

Yeah, these signs are one of the most overlooked things in WDW.

They are outdated but nothing a cleaning and a paint job wouldn't fix.

DisneyWall-E

I like the WDW gate myself. When I see it it reminds me of the first time I took my wife(honeymoon 2006). She had been to the Magic Kingdom before, but never any of the other parks. And she had never stayed at a resort on property. When we crossed the WDW sign/gate we were both crying. So I guess its a nostalgia(sp?) thing for me.

Does anyone know if the Magic Kingdom sign has ever been updated and if it has what did they look like before?

shmmrname

There is the issue of people already wanting to stop and take pictures of and with the existing signage. Something grander would only increase this issue.

That said, I think they're quite ugly. I do not at all see how oversized elements and shoving colors here and there are representative of Disney.
I wonder if they could have a pull-off area or two then. In national parks, there are often scenic overlooks with 'picture spots' that can let you take your picture without causing a pileup of metal and plastic.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I wonder if they could have a pull-off area or two then. In national parks, there are often scenic overlooks with 'picture spots' that can let you take your picture without causing a pileup of metal and plastic.
That has been discussed here before, but it was shot down for some strange reason by someone who thought that guests wouldn't read the signs about it anyway!

shmmrname

That has been discussed here before, but it was shot down for some strange reason by someone who thought that guests wouldn't read the signs about it anyway!
Yeah, it seemed to obvious to be missed. I could see it becoming a major headache, and not really even stopping anyone anyways.

MickeyPeace

I like both signs. I will concede that the Magic Kingdom sign looks 70s (and I love it) and the WDW sign looks 90's (it could be refreshed). I love the classic WDW feel so I am fine with keeping the Magic Kingdom sign and redoing the main gate.

menamechris

Blue, brown, green, and white are all used by convention for state/fed roads. What would you prefer?

I like the distinction to help immediately let you know this is a WDW sign, not just random highway sign

Yeah, I get the distinction is the "point" of the differently colored signed. In the backstage areas they switch back to Florida Highway "green" so guests will know they are no longer in a "guest area" and self-direct out. That's great - and I understand its purpose - but I am not a fan of purple. Personally, I think black with red or gold lettering. They are the "Mickey colors". I don't associate the color purple with anything Disney except for the signs....

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yeah, I get the distinction is the "point" of the differently colored signed. In the backstage areas they switch back to Florida Highway "green" so guests will know they are no longer in a "guest area" and self-direct out. That's great - and I understand its purpose - but I am not a fan of purple. Personally, I think black with red or gold lettering. They are the "Mickey colors". I don't associate the color purple with anything Disney except for the signs....
Purple is the color of Royalty.

rufio

Original Poster
I like both signs. I will concede that the Magic Kingdom sign looks 70s (and I love it) and the WDW sign looks 90's (it could be refreshed). I love the classic WDW feel so I am fine with keeping the Magic Kingdom sign and redoing the main gate.

Agreed. The 70s I can handle. The 90s is not a time we should be forced to re-live... ;)

rufio

Original Poster

But... but purple... *tries to think of a purple Disney character* Barney? Oh...

Tim_4

The road signs bother me a lot more. Purple, really? Why? It looks so bad....

That's actually VERY on purpose. Signage was originally supposed to be rustic/brown/green so it didn't stand out but they decided people would get lost and miss signs so they made them as *loud* as possible while still making it clear that you're in a *different* place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom