The gates of WDW

rufio

Original Poster
I made my first trip to the World in 2009 as an adult. One of the first things I noticed was that the gates were not that impressive.

disney-main-gate.jpg

disney_welcome-thumb.jpg

Especially after seeing everything WDW truly is, I guess I just expected more. Does anyone else feel that WDW could do better with the gates! I mean, they are the first things you see when you arrive.

rufio

Original Poster
They looked better when they didn't have the Disney parks logo and "Where Dreams come true" slogan. Other than that, I've never really had a problem with them, but I guess the Magic Kingdom one does look a little dated.

It's not that I have a problem with them. I don't! It's just that with all there is going on inside, you'd think that the outside would be a little more spectacular. Or at least I would.

lazyboy97o

There is the issue of people already wanting to stop and take pictures of and with the existing signage. Something grander would only increase this issue.

That said, I think they're quite ugly. I do not at all see how oversized elements and shoving colors here and there are representative of Disney.

nepalostparks

There is the issue of people already wanting to stop and take pictures of and with the existing signage. Something grander would only increase this issue.

So much of an issue that they had to install several of those blinking "No Stopping" signs on each side of the roadway leading up to them. Not that people bother to abide by them.

Back in February, we were traveling up World Drive. We're in the left lane, doing about 55 and all of a sudden the van in front of us literally slams on the breaks in order to stop and get a picture. We nearly rear ended them. Needless to say there was some horn honking and some less than magical language and gestures used.

I do think the Magic Kingdom toll booth signage could use an update. But I'm still hoping they'll knock that one down and build a whole new one a few hundred feet further up the road, past the split for the MK resort traffic.

DisneyJunkie

I prefer the "Welcome to Walt Disney World Resort" sign (bottom one) and agree the one for Magic Kingdom is very old and dated.

The Empress Lilly

I made my first trip to the World in 2009 as an adult. One of the first things I noticed was that the gates were not that impressive.

disney-main-gate.jpg

disney_welcome-thumb.jpg

Especially after seeing everything WDW truly is, I guess I just expected more. Does anyone else feel that WDW could do better with the gates! I mean, they are the first things you see when you arrive.
They are not unimpressive gates...

...they are impressive roadsigns!

I like them, but maybe that is just the pixiedust taking over - something changes when I enter those gates. In the air, in the light above, in myself.
I do think the nineties were not a brilliant era for Disney design. Oversized objects + bright colours indeed. Not that great. Then again - fashion takes time. At some point in the future, that nineties stuff will be considered fantastically daring and stylish. Much like 70s and 80s Disney design is adored now, but was considered an embarrassement in the 90s.

flynnibus

Premium Member

compared to the billboard you see for most places... I find it pretty impressive.

Maybe an example of what would impress you would be in order..

Marco226

disney-main-gate.jpg

disney_welcome-thumb.jpg

My thoughts were that the Walt Disney World signs were just something to let people know that they are now on Disney property. If that's the case, then I can see why they weren't decorated elaborately over-the-top since they're just signs, and Disney doesn't want to have to constantly worry about maintenance on those things. I would like to see something much more awesome, but I think it is serving it's purpose the way it is now.

As for the MK gate, yeah that thing looks kinda old. It would be kinda awesome for that thing to be decorated like part of the castle walls that are going up in the FLE. Just brainstorming some ideas.. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom