WDW ticket price increases coming June 3rd

No offense, I've seen this line of thinking before, and this opinion is pretty ridiculous.

No one is choosing Disney over paying your bills, dude. No one. It's the fact that Disney has raised prices that much that it's getting to the point they can't go. If you decided not to read it, people have been mentioning that ticket prices are not the only prices they have to take into consideration when they save for their Disney vacation. You know, gas just goes up a little in the scheme of things, but it still hurts working families living on a budget.

I have the money to go. WDW is not worth the money they're asking for.

well said. not worth the money, universal, busch, sea world are other options

misterID

What is substantial? Define substantial?

What is substantial to you could be nothing to me. Could be nothing to miliions. Check that, will be nothing to millions.

But it will be substantial to a handfull of people who need something to complain about. This is all this thread is. Nothing more. People will still go to Disney World.

Jimmy Thick-People complain about Disney at 89 dollars but not Universal at 88? Something wrong there....

I don't know Jimmy, do you still go to WDW for free or are you wealthy this week? I'm sorry, who cares? You're a troll.

Jimmy Thick's persona reads like a person who needs to spend a little more time with some warm bodies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why don't you guys stop telling people how they should react to the price increase and how substantial it is to them? How about that.
Everybody is entitled to an opinion. The point of this thread is to talk about the price increases. If you feel the price increase is too much for you to afford or out of principle you are not going back then don't go back. It is your option. On the flip side if someone wants to defend the increase or give an opinion that they don't think the increase will result in a decrease in attendance that is their opinion. For me personally I will still go. I would prefer not to pay more, but it is not so severe that I am not going back.

misterID

Everybody is entitled to an opinion. The point of this thread is to talk about the price increases. If you feel the price increase is too much for you to afford or out of principle you are not going back then don't go back. It is your option. On the flip side if someone wants to defend the increase or give an opinion that they don't think the increase will result in a decrease in attendance that is their opinion. For me personally I will still go. I would prefer not to pay more, but it is not so severe that I am not going back.

Well, golly, that would have been nice, but these weren't opinions on the price increases, were they? They were on people. :dazzle:

G00fyDad

It is really that substantial to some people, who save their money to vacation there. The real question, is it worth saving that much more?

If that small amount breaks your bank, then follow the others and stop going. It will do two things. #1, (and most important to me) it will make more room for us in the parks. #2, it will force Disney to stop raising the prices. And again, if nearly $100 is going to be the "foot over the line" on your vacation plans, then you probably need to sit back and rethink your financial priorities before booking a vacation that costs several thousand. Just sayin.

When you agree with a troll, that says everything.

LOL Cute. Those that accuse others of being a "troll" show just how weak their arguments are. People like you usually do call people a troll when they simply don't agree with your statements. Try figuring out what an Internet troll really is, the rejoin the discussion. :rolleyes:

Glasgow

Lets not be too short sighted here - we know Disney's long term strategy is to migrate away from single day or short stay guests. Those guests will be paying a premium versus 4+ day guests - it's just part of the business model right now, which is why 4+ day tickets are so much cheaper on a per day basis. We all know why - because Disney more than makes up the difference in food, beverage and gift shop purchases.

I'm guessing the DVC sales have also justified the ticket price increases since the guaranteed long term income is much more attractive to the accounting dept.

Having said all this, the 6 or 7 night vacation cost is really getting to be rather expensive if you go even once a year. A few bucks for tix is hardly going to change my mind re: overall vacation cost but it'll be interesting to see how many discounts Disney will need to offer in the coming year.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
They have the right to be greedy. It is the American way...

I'm getting a little bit tired, actually quite exhausted with the notion that the American way is one of greed. The American way is actually one of liberty and freedom, hard work and just reward. The same attributes that allowed Walt Disney to build the foundation that became the empire that The Disney Company is today.

So my suggestion to you and any others out here that somehow feel embarrassed because of the success of America, go find some third world country to live in without these freedoms and check back with us in a few years.

G00fyDad

I'm getting a little bit tired, actually quite exhausted with the notion that the American way is one of greed. The American way is actually one of liberty and freedom, hard work and just reward. The same attributes that allowed Walt Disney to build the foundation that became the empire that The Disney Company is today.

So my suggestion to you and any others out here that somehow feel embarrassed because of the success of America, go find some third world country to live in without these freedoms and check back with us in a few years.

:sohappy::sohappy: :D

Jimmy Thick

Here is a little story from your old pal Jimmy.

I love a certain pizza pie, made by this little mom and pop place near my home. Now they take great care of me, and have always made me the same pie just the way I like it, I call them up and they know what I like.

Well, one day I called them up and asked for my usual, and they said the pie now costs 35 dollars compared to the 27 it usually cost. I didn't even question the price increase, I still wanted my pie and I paid it without hesitation. The pizza place, even with this price increase, is still in business, why? Because they make a great pizza pie, a pizza pie you can't get anywhere else.

If you really think about it, the same principal can easily be applied here. Disney can increase the price all it wants, I, like millions of others, will want our pizza pie.

Jimmy Thick-Sausage, pineapple and sugar ham.

Why would you be surprised? Newsflash... they raise prices every year... and they do it virtually lock in step with DLR. This is basically the same period they raised prices last year too. Years before, they generally did it in August.

THIS isnt just one issue or one Price hike... they did many things here.... for 1 ... they making a 3 year old that cant even go on half of rides or remember much, THE SAME PRICE AS ADULTS. thats just wrong...2nd they now have block out dates for 3 and 4 day passes so all those people who are going to disney with family over the summer ARE GOING TO BE SCREWED!!!!!!!! THEY CANT GO IN SUMMER NOW......... 3 a kids annual pass went up 20 percent!!!!!!!!!!!!! and most important 4 THE TIMING i hae has yearly passes for over 3 years and they usually raise the prices in AUGUST,, they did this just before Kids GOT OUT OF SCHOOL and without enough warning to prep .. at least with universals HIKE they are giveing you 3 extra months on annual pass,, that sounds fair, but all of those outside the 30 day renewal window got punched in gut

captainkidd

Oh Jimmy, ignoring the facts as usual.

A children's AP went up from $478 to $574 for anyone not living in Florida. I don't know where you come from, but in my neck of the woods, a $96 increase in 1 year is a bit absurd.

As for your "Disney is a better value" argument, I beg to differ. I personally enjoy WDW overall more than Universal, but if you think the cost of a 1 day ticket to DHS give you better value than a 1 day ticket to IOA, you've been drinking too many protein shakes.

Jimmy Thick

Now I wished I posted that.

Jimmy Thick-Iam just not that smart.

misterID

If that small amount breaks your bank, then follow the others and stop going. It will do two things. #1, (and most important to me) it will make more room for us in the parks. #2, it will force Disney to stop raising the prices. And again, if nearly $100 is going to be the "foot over the line" on your vacation plans, then you probably need to sit back and rethink your financial priorities before booking a vacation that costs several thousand. Just sayin.

LOL Cute. Those that accuse others of being a "troll" show just how weak their arguments are. People like you usually do call people a troll when they simply don't agree with your statements. Try figuring out what an Internet troll really is, the rejoin the discussion. :rolleyes:

Good for you. I wasn't talking about me. You know... It helps reading the actual posts... It helps to know what you're actually talking about. Just sayin. Oh, and btw, when you're enjoying all that added room, enjoy all the rides that get cut down to seasonal and the few CM's walking around to work.

And it's not my fault you're the only one here who doesn't realize he's a troll, along with his other "personalities."

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
THIS isnt just one issue or one Price hike... they did many things here.... for 1 ... they making a 3 year old that cant even go on half of rides or remember much, THE SAME PRICE AS ADULTS. thats just wrong...2nd they now have block out dates for 3 and 4 day passes so all those people who are going to disney with family over the summer ARE GOING TO BE SCREWED!!!!!!!! THEY CANT GO IN SUMMER NOW......... 3 a kids annual pass went up 20 percent!!!!!!!!!!!!! and most important 4 THE TIMING i hae has yearly passes for over 3 years and they usually raise the prices in AUGUST,, they did this just before Kids GOT OUT OF SCHOOL and without enough warning to prep .. at least with universals HIKE they are giveing you 3 extra months on annual pass,, that sounds fair, but all of those outside the 30 day renewal window got punched in gut

Everyone asks "What would Walt do?"

Here is exactly what he did. He started his own theme park because he didn't like the other options at the time.

misterID

Yes, I understand your sensitive feelings.
Yes, we do have a history of greed.
Yes, greed is driving this country right now.
Yes, I love my country. I can both criticize it and love it at the same time. :)

captainkidd

Here's the thing:

Is the price increase so large that John Doe is going to stop going? Of course not. John Doe is someone who doesn't go to WDW every year, has no idea what tickets cost last year, and will pay whatever the cost is to take his kids to WDW, as long as the price isn't completely absurd. And it isn't.

The problem is, like that article stated, perception. It's perception to those of us who are AP holders, and have been for some time, wondering why such a huge increase. And why such a huge increase for children. It won't stop me from going, but it will change how we go. Instead of the normal 2 weeks we'd spend at WDW, we'll now spend 1 week there, and 1 week somewhere else. As for Jimmy's trying to be funny remarks like "good, more rides for me", whatever dude. If you want to pick up the slack for the rest of us, knock yourself out.

What people have to remember is that ticketing at WDW is different for everybody. Just because the specific tickets YOU buy didn't increase much, doesn't mean the specific tickets that someone else buys didn't.

Jimmy Thick

As for Jimmy's trying to be funny remarks like "good, more rides for me", whatever dude. If you want to pick up the slack for the rest of us, knock yourself out.

LOL!!!

I won't have to "pick up the slack" by myself, millions of others will do it for me. I'll just go to the parks and enjoy myself, like I always do.

Jimmy Thick-And, get this, I'll have a smile on my face.

Slowjack

Using the average of the CPI for adjustments and applying them to a Theme Park that consumes an enormous amount of energy, and pays an enormous amount in employment benefits especially health benefits is a poor indicator for what prices should reflect. If anything park operating cost are exceeding the average CPI percentage increase because sectors such as energy and health care have grown significantely over the average rate of inflation.
That's a fair point. You're right that the CPI may not reflect Disney's actual operating costs, but it's the best I can do. The difference is stark enough that I think it's reasonable to assume the price increase mostly represents increased profit.

Note also that Disney has moved a large percentage of the workforce to part-time, for example, and much of Florida's power production is from natural gas, and according to the DOE (yeah, I'm a data nerd, I looked this up), the "U.S. Natural Gas Electric Power Price" was $11.26 per 1000 cubic feet in December 2005 and only $4.15 in December of last year (of course the retail cost of electricity paid by Disney is something else--again, it's just a data point).

I'm not saying that the price increase is all going into Iger's summer home, or whatever, but I'm confident it's not being forced upwards by operating expenses.

captainkidd

LOL!!!

I won't have to "pick up the slack" by myself, millions of others will do it for me. I'll just go to the parks and enjoy myself, like I always do.

Jimmy, did you ever take any business courses in school? The purpose of a business is to grow, not stay the same. Disney's attendance hasn't grown by much in the past few years (if at all).

I will go as well and enjoy myself as I always do. I'm just saying, that as a previous and current passholder with children, I (as well as I'm sure several other thousand passholders) will be changing our vacations at Disney. And that change will be spending less time, and therefore, less money at the parks. If this is what they're going for, then kudos to Disney - They're likely going to accomplish it.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I've never purchased a single-day ticket. I don't know that there are really very many who do. So saying that charging the same for a one-day admission to DHS or AK as to MK is egregious is a non-argument. When I'm not using an AP, I generally buy an 8-day hopper and my cost/day under the new pricing is $47.26. That's the cost I use to determine if I'm getting value for money.

With my AP, I usually get in at least two trips, one 8 days in the parks and the other anywhere from five to 14. Cost/day $47.02 - $27.79 with the new pricing.

People who visit and stay for short periods pay through the nose for WDW MYW tickets, but the vast majority stay longer and/or visit more frequently and for them the value is still there in my view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom