Art of Animation or Deluxe?

captainkidd

Looking at the price for a suite at Art of Animation next summer, the price is pretty much the same as the Polynesian, and just a bit less than the Grand Floridian. I know it's a "suite", but at 520 sq ft, it's just a bit bigger than a standard room at the Polynesian. What would you do? BTW, there are 2 adults, 3 kids.

devoy1701

Looking at the price for a suite at Art of Animation next summer, the price is pretty much the same as the Polynesian, and just a bit less than the Grand Floridian. I know it's a "suite", but at 520 sq ft, it's just a bit bigger than a standard room at the Polynesian. What would you do? BTW, there are 2 adults, 3 kids.

Hey, i know you're trying/hoping to be able to do a DL and WDW trip back-to-back. I highly suggest that if you absolutely MUST stay Deluxe at WDW (by your sig it looks like it's your preference) you do the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge instead of BW to give you a cushion in your budget, though since there are 5 of you, you might do PO or FW Cabins, or Saratoga (I don't know if WL lets you do 5). You'll end up saving about 40%! I've stayed at my share of Deluxe resorts and to me nothing beats the ambiance of the Wilderness Lodge, and the price point makes it hard to pass up for another Deluxe resort.

I would really hate for you to not be able to get out to DL!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Hey, i know you're trying/hoping to be able to do a DL and WDW trip back-to-back. I highly suggest that if you absolutely MUST stay Deluxe at WDW (by your sig it looks like it's your preference) you do the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge instead of BW to give you a cushion in your budget, though since there are 5 of you, you might do PO or FW Cabins, or Saratoga (I don't know if WL lets you do 5). You'll end up saving about 40%! I've stayed at my share of Deluxe resorts and to me nothing beats the ambiance of the Wilderness Lodge, and the price point makes it hard to pass up for another Deluxe resort.

I would really hate for you to not be able to get out to DL!

Wilderness Lodge only holds 4. I may rent points and stay in a 1 bedroom villa. By far, my favorite room at Disney.

I'm just not sure about Disneyland anymore. Disney really makes it so much more complicated than a WDW trip. I'm not a very patient person, and I'm starting to get tired of the Disneyland booking issues.

Upvote 0

devoy1701

Wilderness Lodge only holds 4. I may rent points and stay in a 1 bedroom villa. By far, my favorite room at Disney.

I'm just not sure about Disneyland anymore. Disney really makes it so much more complicated than a WDW trip. I'm not a very patient person, and I'm starting to get tired of the Disneyland booking issues.

PM with the issues you've run into. I'll see if I can answer any of your questions.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member

perplexed by that comment. DL is so much more straightforward. Buy tickets and show up :) Booking hotels is generally completely separate, as well as all transportation.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
perplexed by that comment. DL is so much more straightforward. Buy tickets and show up :) Booking hotels is generally completely separate, as well as all transportation.

Well, I can't book the Disneyland Hotel for next summer yet. However, I can book any WDW Resort.

There's this stuff I read about what gate to line up at outside of Disneyland Park.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, I can't book the Disneyland Hotel for next summer yet. However, I can book any WDW Resort.

There's this stuff I read about what gate to line up at outside of Disneyland Park.

The gate stuff is really only about two things

1) Magic Morning people getting to the correct gate for early entry
and
2) People trying to get to a shorter line... getting in the line that others may not notice is there

You have to understand DL regulars are trying to be optimized as possible.. well beyond what is actually necessary. They don't want to wait in any lines, even if the line is manageable, etc. The majority of your DL fans you see online won't wait in a line longer than 20minutes.

There is nothing to worry about there.. it's people just trying to squeeze seconds out of processes that only take minutes.

It's sad the DL hotel doesn't let you book that far out.. but the time tables are much different for DL. DL's operating calendar for instance isn't nearly as far out as WDWs. You can only get dining reservations 60 days out.. and even then its really only for select needs.

Don't plan a DL trip like you would a WDW one. Sorting hotel and transportation is the only stuff you really do far in advance. Dining, tickets, etc are all things you setup in the home stretch. Buy tickets online from Disney or from your discount choice... pick your hotel and transportation as needed.

The experience is no more complicated then traveling anywhere.. you just can't try to look at it like WDW.. completely different planning. But I would stress its worth it.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I know there aren't many discounts for AoA available to the general public right now, but at this point we don't know for sure what the discounts might be for either resort next summer (I'm assuming you mean summer of 2013).

Of course, it's possible that the prices of Poly, once discounted, will be even lower than AoA.

My gut feeling about this choice - the biggest perks for staying in AoA will be a little more privacy for whoever gets the master bedroom and an extra bathroom, and whatever comfort you may get for being in a relatively new resort.

The perks for Poly will be location, monorail access to MK and Epcot, more onsite amenities, 2 sitdown restaurants onsite, and by being on the monorail, quick access to the restaurants and amenities of the other monorail resorts. Also, by having monorail access to the MK, you also have less of a hassle if you don't have your own car and want to go to other resorts.

I don't know what's more important for you, locking yourself off from the kids, or all the bells and whistles that comes with staying in a monorail resort.

I also know in the past you've rented DVC points. Quite frankly, unless you are averse to these resorts, I'd rent points for a 1BR in either BLT or VAK. In retrospect, I think you don't like to BLT - if memory serves, you're fine with the location and amenities but not all that keen on the design and decor, am I right? Can't recall if you've expressed an opinion about VAK. But staying in either of those resorts, I'd feel like you're getting the best advantages of Poly AND AoA combined. You're getting the amenities of deluxe resorts, and with the BLT you're getting a prime location with easier access to all the other resorts in the World, just like you would at the Poly. You're also getting a separate master bedroom and 2 bathrooms like AoA. Plus a full kitchen and an in-room washer and dryer. Unless there winds up being a free dining promotion at that time you want to take advantage of but can't if you rent DVC points, that's the way I'd go.

While you're at it, why not see if you can rent points for a stay at the Grand Californian? Someone can book that out for you 11 months in advance, and then you'd know whether or not you're getting in. And I'm sure you know this but just in case, there are "Premier" passes that gets you an annual pass at both WDW AND DL. If you were to rent points at VAK or BLT, and then points at VGC, and a Premium pass, it seems like that'd be a good way to go (again, unless super special promotions come out that supercede the savings you'd get renting points).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom