Carousel of Progress refurb?

TropicalFig8

I love the Carousel of Progress but I have a feeling there will be a refurb in the future. The AAs need some work. I wouldn't mind "Time of Your Life" coming back.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I love the Carousel of Progress but I have a feeling there will be a refurb in the future. The AAs need some work. I wouldn't mind "Time of Your Life" coming back.

"Now is the time" seems to be a lot of people's favorite...ironic since it wasn't even the original song, the current song "great big beautiful tomorrow" is the original :animwink:

Clever Name

Let’s be honest. CoP was nothing more than a very clever commercial to sell GE home appliances such as refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers, clothes washers and TV’s. To stay true to Walt’s vision for this attraction, it really needs an update. It wouldn’t require a big change either. The family could still be in the Christmas setting showing the living room and kitchen areas. They need to get rid of the game on the TV and instead show a view from the house security cameras. One of the family members could switch the view from camera to camera surrounding the house while showing that they have a secure property perimeter.

Suddenly, zombies would begin to attack the house! You’d see them breaking into a bedroom window. As the zombies roam through the house, the family members defend themselves with the fully automatic General Electric Zombie Zapper (GEZZ). Dad simply presses a single button and all the zombies are instantly immobilized. Mom then asks, “But what happens when they wake up again?” Dad responds, “No problem Honey. We’ll just throw them into our new General Electric Zombie Freezer (GEZF)!” Dad opens the door to the freezer and you see three zombies hard frozen into ice blocks. Dad says, “With this new General Electric Zombie Freezer we’ve got enough room for plenty more zombie attacks before the zombie disposal truck comes to our house.”

As the last scene fades, the announcer points out that frozen zombie bodies are used for fuel at the local power plant and recycling zombies is good for the environment while it saves the family money on their electric bill! It’s a great big beautiful tomorrow! :wave:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Let’s be honest. CoP was nothing more than a very clever commercial to sell GE home appliances such as refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers, clothes washers and TV’s. To stay true to Walt’s vision for this attraction, it really needs an update. It wouldn’t require a big change either. The family could still be in the Christmas setting showing the living room and kitchen areas. They need to get rid of the game on the TV and instead show a view from the house security cameras. One of the family members could switch the view from camera to camera surrounding the house while showing that they have a secure property perimeter.

Suddenly, zombies would begin to attack the house! You’d see them breaking into a bedroom window. As the zombies roam through the house, the family members defend themselves with the fully automatic General Electric Zombie Zapper (GEZZ). Dad simply presses a single button and all the zombies are instantly immobilized. Mom then asks, “But what happens when they wake up again?” Dad responds, “No problem Honey. We’ll just throw them into our new General Electric Zombie Freezer (GEZF)!” Dad opens the door to the freezer and you see three zombies hard frozen into ice blocks. Dad says, “With this new General Electric Zombie Freezer we’ve got enough room for plenty more zombie attacks before the zombie disposal truck comes to our house.”

As the last scene fades, the announcer points out that frozen zombie bodies are used for fuel at the local power plant and recycling zombies is good for the environment while it saves the family money on their electric bill! It’s a great big beautiful tomorrow! :wave:

I like the idea. This attraction would then qualify for a movie. :ROFLOL:

Cosmic Commando

I think the Carousel of Progress is supposed to represent a lifetime of change. If you look at when the show premiered in 1964, flashing back to the turn of the century because there were quite a few people in the audience who actually remembered the times they were showing. It's not "look how far we've come" ("we" as in society); it's more "look how far YOU have come". Now, the 40's/50's scene has about the same distance from the present as the very beginning of the show originally did. It changes the way the audience relates to the show.

To me, the essence of CoP is that in each time period, the dad is amazed at "modern" life and thinks it can't get any better. Of course, along comes the refrigerator, TV, etc. I can't be the only one that does this in real life: I remember thinking, "Wow! Pictures on webpages! That's awesome!" I would love to see a scene where one of the family members is sitting in front of a blocky CRT monitor (soon, kids won't know what those were), totally excited as some image slooowly loads on the screen and depixelates while the audience looks on. Of course, the teenage daughter wants to use the phone and hears that terrible modem sound when she picks up. I'm tellin' ya, this scene writes itself! It's supposed to be something for the audience to reminisce over, not a history lesson. Kids see how backwards their parents were, and parents see how backwards things were when they were little.

My ideal Carousel I think would be: mid-50's, mid-70's, mid-90's, near future.

RSoxNo1

Move it to Innoventions, keep the original scenes, add two additional scenes for present day and the future and update every 10 years or so.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think by now it would be ok with me if they moved it to the Smithsonian or the Walt Disney Family Museum, if the rumors are true that Disney has plans for that area of Tomorrowland.

I really don't see them moving it back to Disneyland.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
what are the plans for that area?

It depends on who you ask, but there's been rumors of them tearing out that whole section and making some mega-attraction.

I think that was one plot of land where a rumored "TRON" ride was going to go, but that one seems to have fizzled for the U.S. parks.

JustInTime

You know what's even more outdated than a 1994 ending? One set in the 1970s or 1960s.

All they really need to do is modernize the current ending. Change the clothes, change the references they make to laser discs.

Nooooo. That entire house looks like something from Growing Pains. Did you see that Kitchen and the Dinning Room? WOWSA! That will take a lot more then a coat of paint to fit. I think it would make more sense restoring it to the original state. Whatever that was. That was you can say "The Original Carousel of Progress...Yada, Yada, Yada".

Like I said. Do a modern kitchen with him at the table and the dog on the floor and have him close out the show.

wdw71fan

The show won't be going anywhere, there are plans drawn to re-do the finale, beyond that, the shows will stay the same..

Thats all folks....

invader

Honestly, it should be updated to 60s, 80s (you could keep the present day show set but remove the new TV and computers, add a NES), 00s (kid using iPod, etc.) and then a near future. It couldn't really be that hard and it would last them another five to ten years...

ScorpionX

I think the COP should be refurbished to reach a global audience. The first scene could be cavemen, then Egyptians, then the Wild West, then today.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think the COP should be refurbished to reach a global audience. The first scene could be cavemen, then Egyptians, then the Wild West, then today.

But there were not cavemen globally back in the day.....And the Egyptians were in Egypt, and the Wild West was a North American phenomenon.

MarkTwain

I think the Carousel of Progress is supposed to represent a lifetime of change. If you look at when the show premiered in 1964, flashing back to the turn of the century because there were quite a few people in the audience who actually remembered the times they were showing. It's not "look how far we've come" ("we" as in society); it's more "look how far YOU have come". Now, the 40's/50's scene has about the same distance from the present as the very beginning of the show originally did. It changes the way the audience relates to the show.

To me, the essence of CoP is that in each time period, the dad is amazed at "modern" life and thinks it can't get any better. Of course, along comes the refrigerator, TV, etc. I can't be the only one that does this in real life: I remember thinking, "Wow! Pictures on webpages! That's awesome!" I would love to see a scene where one of the family members is sitting in front of a blocky CRT monitor (soon, kids won't know what those were), totally excited as some image slooowly loads on the screen and depixelates while the audience looks on. Of course, the teenage daughter wants to use the phone and hears that terrible modem sound when she picks up. I'm tellin' ya, this scene writes itself! It's supposed to be something for the audience to reminisce over, not a history lesson. Kids see how backwards their parents were, and parents see how backwards things were when they were little.

My ideal Carousel I think would be: mid-50's, mid-70's, mid-90's, near future.

I like that. I like that a lot. :D

I'd also think it'd be neat if they incorporate some Turtle Talk technology into the father figure in each scene, so then each scene could end with the father doing a Q&A and joking with the audience about the scene.

Clever Name

I'd also think it'd be neat if they incorporate some Turtle Talk technology into the father figure in each scene, so then each scene could end with the father doing a Q&A and joking with the audience about the scene.

I too like the interactive idea for the father. In my version (with the zombie invasion) the father could ask the audience when would be the right time to press the zombie protection button. He would make it clear to the audience that if he waits a few moments before pressing the button, then Uncle Orville will be devoured by the zombies in the bathroom. The audience could yell up to the father with their votes. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom