AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

The Mom

Premium Member
Goodness gracious, this is the bloody H-bomb among the threads. Blew up to 1264 comments in less than ONE day. Bloody hell.

Am I the only one how thinks that Avatar-land is totally misplaced in DAK? What does this have to do with ANIMALS? Worst idea ever for an expansion of DAK.
Put it into DHS, that's where an Avatar-land belongs.

You did read other posts before posting this, didn't you? ;)

Sorry, it's been a long day.

Longhairbear

I don't get this at all. Wait and see I guess. I never wanted to see the movie, and never did. Everyone I know didn't care for it. Maybe I missed something wonderful.

The Mom

Premium Member
When all is said and done, it's still an amusement park whose main purpose is to entertain you. But what entertains you might be off putting to me. That doesn't mean that it isn't still entertainment.

Obviously, there is a difference of opinion as to whether this addition belongs in DAK or not, but that is a matter of personal taste and opinion, so can be neither right nor wrong - just different.

Stating your different opinions is fine. Trying to argue them in some sort of attempt to prove that yours is right, and others are wrong, and if those others would just admit it you would stop arguing, is not. And insulting those who hold a different opinion is not acceptable at all.

So please try not to get caught up in that trap (which we all fall into from time to time.)

Fair warning. ;)

Spike-in-Berlin

Disney has plenty of creativity left trust me. For all of those people who are blasting this decision remember this is strictly to compete with Potter. This is the "Potter Swatter" that we have been talking about for over a year. There are plenty of amazing ideas in the imagineering department. If these were public knowledge I don't think you would be saying Disney has no more creativity. I honestly think this is the best thing to happen to WDI in years and years. This is really going to push the envelope for new innovative ride technology and Audio Animatronics. Personally I am extremely excited about this and the sky really is the limit on a project like this.

I don't think that Avatar has this potential to be a "Potter Swatter". It's just one movie, not an entire franchise. Yes it is the highest-grossing movie ever but I don't think that ONE movie can compete with 7 books and 8 movies.
I still think a HUGE Star Wars Land in DHS behind Star Tours would have been the REAL Potter Swatter.

Skooterkid

If Avatarland was coming to Magic Kingdom I'd be furious as the land-layout there is perfect, but as it's coming to Animal Kingdom, a park that has needed serious additions since it opened, I'm embracing the idea -even though we've got a while to wait before construction even begins... :brick:

Page 86! Woooo, and I reckon this thread will keep snowballing for a little while to come!

misterID

1236 posts? No. I considered it futile. But I have already realized by now that there are others who critisize the idea too.

In a nutshell, AK isn't just about Animal's it's also about the enviornment. Conservation: AK's signature icon is a tree. A tree of life. Not an animal.

No one had a problem with BK, a land about imaginary animals, in an imaginary world, in an imaginary time, being in AK. Same thing.

Those were my arguments.

Counters were its about Aliens and another planet. That still doesn't counter the BK land argument. Pandora fits AK perfectly.

Others have said Avatar was too dark, not kid friendly. Ignoring the fact Indiana Jones is represented in the parks, even though the films contain melting faces, ripping out still beating hearts, sexual innuendo, etc.

Other problems have something to do with not wanting "tree hugging" messages in the park.

I say, get over it. Mom's right. A long day, going into 2.

toolsnspools

I don't get this at all. Wait and see I guess. I never wanted to see the movie, and never did. Everyone I know didn't care for it. Maybe I missed something wonderful.

Go back about 30 pages and watch the movie trailer that describes Pandora. This is less about the movie than it is about the planet. I've never seen the movie (although is now on top of my Netflix queue), but I'm still excited for the possibilities. The collaboration of James Cameron and Joe Rohde itself should produce excitement in anyone that hears about this. From the announcement, it sounds to me like the only thing that is inked right now is the contract, so the imagineering is just about to begin.

I'm happy to see Animal Kingdom move away from the zoo theme as well. Although they have done amazing things for/with animals, they have never wanted AK to be just another zoo. Adding Australia or another continent to the park would have been nice, but it would have kept the same zoo theme. This gives them the opportunity to move beyond that. It also has HUGE potential for after dark entertainment that will be able to co-exist with the animals.

BTW - Kudos to Tom Staggs. You clearly intend to make a positive mark on Disney and I can't wait to see what's to come.

Longhairbear

Go back about 30 pages and watch the movie trailer that describes Pandora. This is less about the movie than it is about the planet. I've never seen the movie (although is now on top of my Netflix queue), but I'm still excited for the possibilities. The collaboration of James Cameron and Joe Rohde itself should produce excitement in anyone that hears about this. From the announcement, it sounds to me like the only thing that is inked right now is the contract, so the imagineering is just about to begin.

I'm happy to see Animal Kingdom move away from the zoo theme as well. Although they have done amazing things for/with animals, they have never wanted AK to be just another zoo. Adding Australia or another continent to the park would have been nice, but it would have kept the same zoo theme. This gives them the opportunity to move beyond that. It also has HUGE potential for after dark entertainment that will be able to co-exist with the animals.

BTW - Kudos to Tom Staggs. You clearly intend to make a positive mark on Disney and I can't wait to see what's to come.
I am eco friendly, I have a compost bin in my back yard! I am more earth friendly than anyone I know.
I am also a huge sci fi geek, and animation geek.
I am told that Avatar might be akin to Snow White, as far as presenting a new medium to full length film. That's cool, but that didn't get me into the theatre to see it, nor did the trailer of the movie.
I am not one of the mainstream half day DAK guests. DAK happens to be our favorite WDW park, and we spend two (2) whole days there when at WDW. It does take that long to see everything there. I'd rather a Disney Beastly Kingdom with characters from Disney, like Pete's Dragon for something funny. Burl Ives singing "Ugly Bug Ball" from a Disney classic in an attraction.
I'm a Disney fan, not a James Cameron fan, and that is the disconnect for me.

zooey

But why does everything have to be overexplained??? Since when does everything have to be so black and white???

Honestly, this is being way overthought, way to early in the creative process. :lol:

We have two of the most brilliant creative agencies (Cameron and WDI) in the world today working on it, I am sure they will bring it full circle, and explain it in a way that will make everyone get it.

What if they transplanted a bit of Pandora to Earth created a Pandora Greenhouse??? ... brought them across the galaxy??? Seriously ... does it need to be this literal right now?

Yeah, WDI is brilliant because they think these things through. There ar exceptions, but they would never just be like, "Pssht, whatever, let's not overthink this design too much."

PhilharMagician

Well I left a reply in Disney blog yesterday about the Avatar land and it was deleted. I praised Disney and this new addition to the park along with the technology this could bring with the collaboration with Cameron. This could be an amazing partnership. The last line I said I hope that Disney does not cut the budget on this project.

I have to assume that is a soft spot and they would not allow the reply to be viewed? :shrug: I guess they don't like the harshness of reality?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I don't think that Avatar has this potential to be a "Potter Swatter". It's just one movie, not an entire franchise. Yes it is the highest-grossing movie ever but I don't think that ONE movie can compete with 7 books and 8 movies.
I still think a HUGE Star Wars Land in DHS behind Star Tours would have been the REAL Potter Swatter.

There will be at least another 2 Avatar movies released.

jjharvpro

Still unsure if I'm a fan of the idea yet. But I know that with WDI and James Cameron, the environment will be immersive, innovative, and abolutely beautiful.

IMO, smart move by Disney, just unsure if I'm gonna like seeing AVATAR in a Disney park.

The popularity for DAK (and WDW overall) will skyrocket.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Fantasyland Expansion is rumored to have a budget of roughly 300 Million Dollars. Lee or one of the other Florida insiders can correct me if I'm wrong on that one, please.

The Fantasyland budget has been varied between $300 and $500 million with the inclusion the Snow White coaster. No hard numbers have been released.

zooey

Okay man, we get it, you are not pleased with the Avatar decision. So go build your own mega theme park and create it with lands & attractions to your liking. Nobody here is standing in your way.

God speed.

I don't get this attitude. I'm a consumer. I want to be an active, GOOD consumer as opposed to a BAD, passive consumer. I love the Disney brand. This acquisition is troubling to me in that I think it undermines the brand. Should I not express it here and to them directly? How is this wrong? You're more than welcome to tell Disney how much you love this decision, I'm sure they'd love to hear it. I'm just not sure why you think I should just be quiet because I don't agree with you.

nngrendel

I couldn't resist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom