Star Tours not randomizing scenes very well?

Thurp

Original Poster
I'm just throwing this out there because it seemed odd to me.

Today my friends and I rode Star Tours three times (hooray for no wait!) and all three times we got the exact same ride:

- Storm Troopers
- Hoth (ice planet)
- Princess Leia
- Coruscant (city planet)

To this guy, who is bad at math, this even seems like a statistical impossibility unless something is not working right. Should I buy a lottery ticket?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
When I was there earlier this month, I rode the attraction 10 times over the course of 8 days. I got the Storm Troopers sequence 9 out of the 10 times. The other sequences were fairly evenly distributed, but not that first one.

the-reason14

I kinda noticed this too. It seems like I got the storm trooper at the beginning each time a few weeks ago, but in May I only got that beginning like once I think.

It is highly annoying though seeing the same crap over and over again when you take the time to actually ride it over and over. I haven't stood in line for it all ever since the refurb, thank God as it's not worth it, but it still takes enough time to actually go up there and line up and wait to get on and buckled up and stuff.

minniemickeyfan

We rode it in early June and kept getting the race on Tattoine and then the underwater scene. We got Hoth once out of all the times but nothing else.

thelookingglass

I kinda noticed this too. It seems like I got the storm trooper at the beginning each time a few weeks ago, but in May I only got that beginning like once I think.

It is highly annoying though seeing the same crap over and over again when you take the time to actually ride it over and over. I haven't stood in line for it all ever since the refurb, thank God as it's not worth it, but it still takes enough time to actually go up there and line up and wait to get on and buckled up and stuff.
Ugh yeah, darn those terrible scenes we've already seen! :confused:

Pioneer Hall

I'm just throwing this out there because it seemed odd to me.

Today my friends and I rode Star Tours three times (hooray for no wait!) and all three times we got the exact same ride:

- Storm Troopers
- Hoth (ice planet)
- Princess Leia
- Coruscant (city planet)

To this guy, who is bad at math, this even seems like a statistical impossibility unless something is not working right. Should I buy a lottery ticket?

As they used to say in Timekeeper, "Impossible...no. Improbable...yes." Random means that it could randomly give you the same things each time. I've only been there once since it opened, but I rode three times. In those three rides I have seen every variation, except for the Darth Vader opening.

RAXIP

I created StarToursPassport.net to let space travelers keep track of their Star Tours flights. As a result I have a log of over 3000 flights. Here are the stats.

Total Flights Logged: 3122

Imperial Entanglements
Darth Vader 1781 - 57.0%
Stormtroopers 1341 - 43.0%

Destinations
Tatooine 1144 - 36.6%
Hoth 1061 - 34.0%
Kashyyyk 917 - 29.4%

Death Star 1184 - 37.9%
Naboo 987 - 31.6%
Coruscant 951 - 30.5%

Transmissions Received
Princess Leia 1093 - 35.0%
Yoda 1080 - 34.6%
Admiral Ackbar 949 - 30.4%

Fractal514

Things like this are funny. Just because the mathematical odds of getting a specific overall experience multiple times in a row is slim, the individual choices repeating isn't that off. 1/3 or 1/2. You have to think about each thing as it's own roll of the dice, not the overall thing.

thelookingglass

The "54 different rides" is a bit of a stretch since the character who gives you the message has a very small effect on the ride, but also isn't a lie either.

That seems like such a silly complaint, though. With Star Tours 1 you had one, and only one possible sequence. Why complain now when you see the same element twice in a row?

While we're at it, lets complain about every single ride since almost all of them do the exact same thing every time.

I created StarToursPassport.net to let space travelers keep track of their Star Tours flights. As a result I have a log of over 3000 flights. Here are the stats.

Imperial Entanglements
Darth Vader 1781 - 57.0%

Destinations
Tatooine 1144 - 36.6%
Hoth 1061 - 34.0%
Kashyyyk 917 - 29.4%

Death Star 1184 - 37.9%
Naboo 987 - 31.6%
Coruscant 951 - 30.5%

Transmissions Received
Yoda 1080 - 34.6%
This is interesting, I've ridden it about 15 times, and have gotten Darth Vader, Tatooine and Death Star more than the other endings. I didn't even see Kashyyk until my most recent ride (and its the worst one by far). I wonder if it is programmed to pick these sequences slightly more than the others?

the-reason14

The "54 different rides" is a bit of a stretch since the character who gives you the message has a very small effect on the ride, but also isn't a lie either.

That seems like such a silly complaint, though. With Star Tours 1 you had one, and only one possible sequence. Why complain now when you see the same element twice in a row?

While we're at it, lets complain about every single ride since almost all of them do the exact same thing every time.

And that's why after the 3rd time, I stopped doing the original star tours. Ya, let's complain how pirates, haunted mansion, splash mountain all do the same thing all the time. Except they're actually moving instead of sitting in a room watching a tv being shooked like star tours. If the 'randomness' is the new gimmick/appeal, then I want some variety. Nothing silly about that.

Ignohippo

That's SO strange. We rode the ride twice over the weekend and both times we got Kasyyk + Naboo.

We've ridden it about 15 times now and never gotten the Death Star. We've gotten the Naboo closing every time except 2. I was starting to get discouraged, but I'm glad to see it's much more random than it has appeared to be for us.

On a side note, at least 2 of the simulators were broken on Saturday Night. The line was over 40 minutes almost all day. The CM I spoke to said that this was the first time something like that had happened since the ride re-opened.

LudwigVonDrake

In the beginning of July I rode Star Tours a dozen times and got the wookie planet about 10 times and Darth Vader the same amount. I got Ackabr once, Yoda twice and Leia the other times. I thought to myself that it wasn't as random as I was led to believe.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Imperial Entanglements
Darth Vader 1781 - 57.0%

Destinations
Tatooine 1144 - 36.6%
Hoth 1061 - 34.0%
Kashyyyk 917 - 29.4%

Death Star 1184 - 37.9%
Naboo 987 - 31.6%
Coruscant 951 - 30.5%

Transmissions Received
Yoda 1080 - 34.6%
Looks like the data shows that it is indeed random. All the numbers are breaking down exactly as one would expect.

coachwnh

im glad im not the only one who thought this. did it three times and couldnt believe when we got off after the first 2 that we saw the same thing. even our 8 and 6 year old were disappointed. the third was different and a much better ride. i do have to say though, the graphics are so much better than the original star tours.

durangojim

When my wife and I rode it last weekend, one of the projectors wasn't working. This resulted in a non-3d nausea inducing ride, because it was as if one of your eyes was covered with a very dark sunglasses lens, and the other was normal. You were ok if you removed your glasses or closed the affected eye, but this resulted in a much less impressive and fun ride. The whole car was like "what was that? That wasn't very fun" The biggest issue was that they didn't have CMs waiting to apolgize, and when I brought it up to the CM for the next group, she said "thanks, I'll let someone know" and then allowed the next group of people to board. No FPs, no "let's make sure everyone experiences this ride like they should". I let guest relations know, but that was a very un-Disneylike experience and sad since the ride is really great when working properly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom