MI2 Greenlighted! DHS Coaster Too?

Lee

Adventurer
I'm sure all imagineering and planning is finished for the MI coaster, it's not a matter of "if" but "when."
Kinda right.
Plenty of work has been done in preparation for the MI attraction in Pixar Place. When the light hits green (if it hasn't already), it should move along very quickly. 2012 would not be out of the question at all.
However....just because the sequal is happening doesn't mean the ride is any more greenlit today than yesterday. That could wait until much closer to or after the film's release.

jt04

Original Poster
TDO would be stupid not to approve it, but I guess they aren't the brightest group anyways. I really hope it happens. :D

TDO has little if any say on the big decisions. We are so far past that era and way of doing business. If I were guessing, I'd say the SM refurb and the Stitch Stage marked the end of the line for the old business model at WDW. All Imagineering roads now lead to Glendale. At least the major decisions.

Welcome to the future.

Monorail_Orange

From other news, we know the MI coaster would be going in Soundstage 1, which is usually used for Star Wars Weekends. So if we see SS1 not being used this year for SSW, then we can logically infer that things may be progressing on MI Coaster. Anyone have any news on that front?

jt04

Original Poster
Kinda right.
Plenty of work has been done in preparation for the MI attraction in Pixar Place. When the light hits green (if it hasn't already), it should move along very quickly. 2012 would not be out of the question at all.
However....just because the sequal is happening doesn't mean the ride is any more greenlit today than yesterday. That could wait until much closer to or after the film's release.

There is another way to look at this. I'm positive that if the movie was not green lit there is no way the ride would happen. But I do agree, two years is plenty of time to build the ride no matter how complicated it is.

jt04

Original Poster
From other news, we know the MI coaster would be going in Soundstage 1, which is usually used for Star Wars Weekends. So if we see SS1 not being used this year for SSW, then we can logically infer that things may be progressing on MI Coaster. Anyone have any news on that front?

Next year would be a better indicator.

jt04

Original Poster
JT most of what you post is a stretch but this takes the cake.

Really? Iger says he wants all new attractions to have a tie-in to an existing franchise. If you doubt that look at the DCA adds, Pixar Place, the HKDL expansions and the new stuff in Paris. Everything is connected to an existing Disney product. Even the swings at DCA have a connection to Silly Symphonies.

Figment632

Really? Iger says he wants all new attractions to have a tie-in to an existing franchise. If you doubt that look at the DCA adds, Pixar Place, the HKDL expansions and the new stuff in Paris. Everything is connected to an existing Disney product. Even the swings at DCA have a connection to Silly Symphonies.

And none of that has anything to do with any new film.

_Scar

JT most of what you post is a stretch but this takes the cake.
:rolleyes:

Actually, considering all evidence, this is all very likely.

I guarentee you if JT didn't ake this thread then another member would. It's just obvious with all this franchise-ness going on in the company that the MI coaster will probably fall into place.

Figment632

:rolleyes:

Actually, considering all evidence, this is all very likely.

I guarentee you if JT didn't ake this thread then another member would. It's just obvious with all this franchise-ness going on in the company that the MI coaster will probably fall into place.

The MI coaster has been creeping along at a snails pace anyway the fact that a sequel was announced has nothing to do with it.

jt04

Original Poster
And none of that has anything to do with any new film.

By greenlighting the MI sequel Disney is giving it the franchise label. And I believe you will see Iger's vision become more and more forward looking. As in this case IMO.

If you noticed, the DAK Mysterious Island rumors ended about the same time the 20K film franchise was shelved. It's all connected and Iger has clearly explained this is his strategy.

"Franchise" is the new "synergy".

rangerbob

Coasters don't take 2 years to build. I know that Disney has to do their stuff to it but I can see it up and running by 2012. I know that they can install major coasters from ground prep to running in less than a year. Cedar Point recently installed a major launched coaster 2 years ago they started around April or May and it was open for the beginning of their season in April.

jt04

Original Poster
The MI coaster has been creeping along at a snails pace anyway the fact that a sequel was announced has nothing to do with it.

It got shelved awaiting the movies approval. The movie was greenlighted months ago but just announced. Yep, months ago. Right around the time work recommenced in sound stage 1. Conincidence?:shrug:

Figment632

By greenlighting the MI sequel Disney is giving it the franchise label. And I believe you will see Iger's vision become more and more forward looking. As in this case IMO.

If you noticed, the DAK Mysterious Island rumors ended about the same time the 20K film franchise was shelved. It's all connected and Iger has clearly explained this is his strategy.

"Franchise" is the new "synergy".

It got shelved awaiting the movies approval. The movie was greenlighted months ago but just announced. Yep, months ago. Right around the time work recommenced in sound stage 1. Conincidence?:shrug:

Ask Martin if you don't believe me the work was continuing even without this movie JT this is a stretch.

jt04

Original Poster
Ask Martin if you don't believe me the work was continuing even without this movie JT this is a stretch.

The work in sound stage 1 halted for a long time. That is because the decision to classify Monsters as a franchise was being debated it appears. Time will tell.

KevinFlynn

Yeah, that whole Pirates thing as been such a failure. :rolleyes:

And Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Toy Story etc etc etc.

All franchises.

Where did I say the death of success?

The classic Disney attractions didn't need franchises to prop them up. Why do they need them now?

jt04

Original Poster
Where did I say the death of success?

The classic Disney attractions didn't need franchises to prop them up. Why do they need them now?

Quite simply funding. Epcot would never be built in this day and age because of the overwhelming initial investment risks. 'Risk has become too risky' in the days of over-regulation, phony lawsuits and government interference in all aspects of business. So everything needs to be calculated and carefully strategized. One thing I agree with you on though, that damages creativity. Be glad that Epcot and DAK exists because they would never happen in the US in this day and age. Thank Eisner because he was visionary in expanding to 4 parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom