New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

hopemax

How does that even make sense to you? You all are acting as if DAS people poof into existence in the LL. They would have been in the standby line anyway, adding to the capacity. So what you are really complaining about is that Disney lets too many people into the parks.
Not all of them would be in the standby line. If you believe what many people, including yourself have said... if the only option available to them was the standby line... they would have to SKIP the attraction, altogether. This is the mistake that people keep making about any of the line skip options... Fastpass, LL, DAS. A good sized portion of the people taking advantage of the ability to secure "a 20 min or less" wait, are the people that opted OUT of a standby only system because the wait was too long. So they sort of do, poof into the LL. Because instead of being limited to less crowded attractions, more pool time, or bench sitting, they can ride the popular rides like everyone else.

jaklgreen

Of course it makes sense. How many attractions per day do you think the average non-DAS user is actually doing on a given day when lines are an hour plus and Genie+ gets you 1-3 attractions if you’re using it normally? The dirty secret here is that the 8 percent of DAS users are absolutely using the lion’s share of the park capacity, which is why Disney needed to take action. I understand that individually each DAS user sees each non-DAS user as a “jerk” because all they’re doing is “adding a few minutes to the line,” but in the aggregate, they are taking up a ton of capacity because they can ride far more rides than the average guest can, even with Genie+.

It’s also certainly not uniform. I’m confident DAS users aren’t using up 71 percent of the capacity of the Nemo ride, or Figment, but they are for Frozen and Remy.
I think that you are grossly overestimating how many rides DAS users go on. Sure, some of the fakers are probably going on more, but most of the legitimate users have to use that down time for their personal needs. And popular rides are popular for EVERYONE, not just those without disabilities. :rolleyes: It comes down to a person can only be physically in one place at a time. Someone having a DAS return time is the same as someone having a Genie+ return time. It means nothing to those who are in that line while others are virtually waiting for their time. It doesn't "add to capacity" because they are not physically in that line yet.

jaklgreen

Not all of them would be in the standby line. If you believe what many people, including yourself have said... if the only option available to them was the standby line... they would have to SKIP the attraction, altogether. This is the mistake that people keep making about any of the line skip options... Fastpass, LL, DAS. A good sized portion of the people taking advantage of the ability to secure "a 20 min or less" wait, are the people that opted OUT of a standby only system because the wait was too long. So they sort of do, poof into the LL. Because instead of being limited to less crowded attractions, more pool time, or bench sitting, they can ride the popular rides like everyone else.
That is a big assumption.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
The DAS return time you are given is whatever the posted standby wait time is at that time, minus 10 minutes. That 10 minutes is supposed to make up for your wait in the LL. This is how it has always been. But to note, we all know that the standby wait times are often bloated. So DAS users actually wait longer to get on rides than those waiting in line.
Which I am perfectly fine with because that is a fair system.

Lol imagine explaining to a CM how to do their job. You’re unreal for this 🙃

mickEblu

This is going to stop a few DAS abusers from cheating the system and they ll be replaced with more Genie + users.

Non DAS people will have the same experience in the parks
Genie + people will have the same experience in the parks

This is going to effect a small % of people cheating
And unfortunately a small % of people who really need it

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
At least Peter Pan has the excuse of having been built in 1971. But Navi, Frozen, RoTR, FOP... these are 21st century attractions, which some Industrial Engineer, should have shot up a hand, and said, "This capacity is grossly insufficient for the attendance targets we want to hit by promoting the heck out them." Of course, if the rumors are true, that Disney ignored the advice about adding the third TSMM track and Soarin theater BEFORE going to FP+ than none of this is a surprise.

Frozen should get a pass since it’s a reskin

Fido Chuckwagon

I think that you are grossly overestimating how many rides DAS users go on. Sure, some of the fakers are probably going on more, but most of the legitimate users have to use that down time for their personal needs. And popular rides are popular for EVERYONE, not just those without disabilities. :rolleyes: It comes down to a person can only be physically in one place at a time. Someone having a DAS return time is the same as someone having a Genie+ return time. It means nothing to those who are in that line while others are virtually waiting for their time. It doesn't "add to capacity" because they are not physically in that line yet.
I mean, I’m not “estimating” anything here. We have pretty good information that:
1. At least 50-75 percent of people in the Lightning Lane are DAS; Source: Earlier postings in this thread by @lentesta;
2. 80-95 percent of ride capacity goes to Lightning Lanes; Source: Tons of posts by insiders about how LL’s and Genie+ work over multiple threads going back years at this point; and
3. Around 8 percent of people in the park are DAS users; Source: Again, insiders in this thread.

From there it’s pretty easy to do the math and see that at least 40-71 percent of ride capacity is being used by 8 percent of people. It’s not particularly difficult math. I understand that these numbers do not support the arguments of those defending the current system, which is why they are being ignored or dismissed :rolleyes:.

Grantwil93

It sorta feels like you are ignoring data gathered by real ppl like @lentesta , the anecdotal evidence and opinions of ppl who work at WDW(like me) in daily operations and see the actual scans, and ppl showing how bad this easily could be on paper.

And are just saying that there isn't any way it could be this extreme. I can tell you that it is.

And I agree that WDW needs more capacity. But even if Disney immediately started addressing it with massive expansion right this second, that's still at least 5 years from fixing anything.

Something must be done. And reducing the overall load DAS has on daily operations seems to be a first target for the company. I'm not sure I agree, but I feel like it's nice that so many ppl are seeing just how broken the combo of DAS/G+ has become at the current WDW

RamblinWreck

How does that even make sense to you? You all are acting as if DAS people poof into existence in the LL. They would have been in the standby line anyway, adding to the capacity. So what you are really complaining about is that Disney lets too many people into the parks.
It makes sense because 1 person on the DAS can easily ride 10x as many rides as someone who isn’t, all other things being equal. And they can do all the big ticket attractions without having to wait, while they do the other attractions with less wait. So DAS passes all get used on the rides with long lines (by people who aren’t abusing it and also by everyone who is abusing it) and it makes them practically impossible to ride for anyone without a lightning lane pass, or half a day to waste in line

Splash4eva

I know your intent is to engender sympathy but what you’re describing is increasingly the experience for most of us average, non-DAS guests on most days at WDW.

DAS is apparently the largest contributor to this phenomenon
In no way shape or form am i looking for sympathy at all. Im almost 50 grew up in a different generation than is lived now so hate to say it but you are absolutely incorrect. What i find comical is how people can be this “enraged” over a company that provides one of the best services for people who need it and are “jealous” of people who are literally playing and following every rule out there. I assure you My Mom would LOVE to trade in her 3 bouts of cancer and countless years of chemo and radiation and to be able to swallow and eat normally one more time and no longer need DAS to enjoy a trip with her granddaughter and son. Keep believing what you want. But dont come at people who need this service and blame them over Disneys policies that created this. Ive stated plenty of things i would do that alllll would reduce DAS experience yet still provide everything you would need way before disney has announced their new policy and intentions. Again less than 10% of the guests use DAS so no matter what how much is Disney going to reduce that by?!? If they do not change what is allowed how are LL usage by DAS going to be greatly reduced?!?

Fido Chuckwagon

Again less than 10% of the guests use DAS so no matter what how much is Disney going to reduce that by?!?
Well, if 8 percent of people are using as much as 71 percent of ride capacity then reducing that to 4 percent of users could increase ride capacity by as much as 35 percent. Even just reducing it to 6 or 7 percent would cause a noticeable effect on overall capacity.

Angel Ariel

It makes sense because 1 person on the DAS can easily ride 10x as many rides as someone who isn’t, all other things being equal. And they can do all the big ticket attractions without having to wait, while they do the other attractions with less wait. So DAS passes all get used on the rides with long lines (by people who aren’t abusing it and also by everyone who is abusing it) and it makes them practically impossible to ride for anyone without a lightning lane pass, or half a day to waste in line
Where are you getting that das users can do all the big ticket attractions without having to wait? That would be a front of the line pass. That's what GAC was for many. That's not what DAS has ever been. Yes they can do other rides with short waits while they wait, and I have not debated the existence of DAS abuse existing - but none of that changes that DAS users are not riding "big ticket attractions" with no wait. Every time we've gotten DAS for a headliner, the return time has been at least 45 mins out, if not more. No wait would mean we're walking straight into the LL. That's not what happens.

Splash4eva

Well, if 8 percent of people are using as much as 71 percent of ride capacity then reducing that to 4 percent of users could increase ride capacity by as much as 35 percent. Even just reducing it to 6 or 7 percent would cause a noticeable effect on overall capacity.
Personally i dont see 1/2 the DAS users being frauds… but again you want to increase capacity take away the 2 pre books. Why have they not done this already?!? They are under NO obligation at alllll to give this. Next they should have reduced party sizes way back and simply allowed those with larger immediate families the exceptions. That would help out tremendously.

Splash4eva

considering there are 77,000 CM's at WDW and they all either have it or more often have a friend or partner who has it, id say the number can go down.

That's just one demographic. I don't think any rational person wants ppl not to have what they need.

I think the ppl in this thread who are genuinely good are seeing how technically this system can be exploited to a huge degree and the state it's currently in with operations and are feeling attacked when they did nothing wrong and used it as intended.

The way things are, Disney has to either change the system to be worse than it is(which I'm not a fan of), or tgey have to drastically cut down on DAS passes and party sizes

Seems to me they are trying to do both. I don't know what is "right"

But they ignored the problem that spiked once G+ was introduced and now it's snowballed
Again see one of my many posts making simple suggestions they should have done longgg time ago. Eliminate the 2 pre books. Cut down party size. And i know its probably not “legal” but state any re ride is only allowed by the DAS user and 1 other person. Someone suggested 2 because of parents and thats fair. None of this impedes on a DAS user being given a reasonable accomadation & all of it would increase capacity on attractions and rides

Grantwil93

Personally i dont see 1/2 the DAS users being frauds… but again you want to increase capacity take away the 2 pre books. Why have they not done this already?!? They are under NO obligation at alllll to give this. Next they should have reduced party sizes way back and simply allowed those with larger immediate families the exceptions. That would help out tremendously.
Plus, the pre books often don't even get used on time. I love the occasional

"guest is 467 minutes late
DAS pre registration"

It's weird it even has a late ping on the CM's end considering regular DAS don't expire. But yeah, the pre booking is just FP+ light and really isn't needed given how the regular DAS works.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Or at least make the prebooks lower rides. I was really surprised to see rides like SDD on the list

Angel Ariel

considering there are 77,000 CM's at WDW and they all either have it or more often have a friend or partner who has it, id say the number can go down.

That's just one demographic. I don't think any rational person wants ppl not to have what they need.

I think the ppl in this thread who are genuinely good are seeing how technically this system can be exploited to a huge degree and the state it's currently in with operations and are feeling attacked when they did nothing wrong and used it as intended.

The way things are, Disney has to either change the system to be worse than it is(which I'm not a fan of), or tgey have to drastically cut down on DAS passes and party sizes

Seems to me they are trying to do both. I don't know what is "right"

But they ignored the problem that spiked once G+ was introduced and now it's snowballed
If all CMs (or their family members) have DAS, then statistically there's something very wrong there and perhaps Disney should have started cracking down on any abuse by their employees and then re-analyzed the impact guests are having to make a better informed decision from there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom