Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Disney Glimpses

This doesn't work for a few reasons:

1) The point of DAS is to provide accommodation to those who need it. If you want to ride Space Mountain a dozen times, you could get in the standby line repeatedly to do so. You should not be barred from doing this just because you have a disability.

2) There are a number of special needs kids who really only want to ride 1-2 rides repeatedly on their trip, in many cases such rides provide a therapeutic effect.
Yeah, limiting ride counts would certainly be against ADA. It'd be like letting someone park in a handicap parking spot only one time per day. Unfettered and equal access is the goal.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Kid sees mickey and is screaming and crying, mom keeps trying to force the kid to take a solo picture and takes up time, attendant essentially tells mom to take picture with them(in a nice way), kid stops crying the second mom picks them up.

Happens constantly.

Traumatizing your kid for a solo photo fpr instagram/facebook that you don't need instead of not making the experience bad for your kid.
I agree with both of you to an extent. I've seen kids with clear DD who clearly don't want to ride my ride be forced onto it by parents who are using their kid for the pass.

But I don't know the needs or dynamic all families have, i used to work at a location where a young boy just wanted to re-ride with his mom for 9 hours straight. He was amazing and im glad DAS allowed him to do that effectively.

It's a complicated topic
This is the best take in 82 pages šŸ‘šŸ»

Angel Ariel

Plus, I really don't think that folks consider the optics of Disney requiring disabled guests to wait in designated areas "just for them." Not that it was on the table in the first place, but since folks keep suggesting it as a solution.
agreed

that said, as I mentioned earlier re: proactive planning...if more lands had accessible and sensory-friendly playground areas like the new ToonTown at Disneyland (Goofy's How-To-Play Yard), or areas like the Boneyard's "sand" box, it would help distribute people and not necessarily into other "rides" (and not just DAS users, but people with young kids, etc).

That playground in ToonTown was amazing. We *almost* missed out on meeting up with Alice because we lost track of time as DD was enjoying exploring (especially the roller slides!) It was better than the boneyard as the slides being open (and having rollers) made them much more accessible than the slides at boneyard. It also had a great sensory quiet area in the back where moms with infants were hanging out feeding their kids or letting them sleep, and DD enjoyed just sitting under the rock overhang (it's like a cave) and chilling out. I don't know what they did to dampen the sound back there, but they did a great job. It was next to the Rescue Rangers coaster, and you didn't really notice the coaster sounds at all. ToonTown was full and bustling, but in that small area it was shaded, colder and quieter. And the fully even flooring (no curbs, no steps) with the full rubber floor was great for DD.

Purduevian

I have no inside information... but I feel like something like this would accommodate a lot of DAS use for ROTR (I know not every line can do this). Also thank you Martin and I hope you don't mind me using this snip from your video. Place a cast member at each one of these spots with a return to line pass (either digital or physical). Allow people to leave at that point without any proof required. The person can be gone for however long they want but can only return to the same spot in which they left. (LL would be used to get back to the blue merge point, but a second ILL tap will prevent people from going further). It won't work for everyone, but I feel like it would work for a lot of people (most can go 30 minutes between brakes I think).
1712941765265.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I donā€™t think ADA And DAS can be reasonably expected to make crowds at the worlds busiest amusement parks which are huge to not be difficult for both all physical and sensory issues.

Thatā€™s not something that can be guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dranth

his doesn't work for a few reasons:

1) The point of DAS is to provide accommodation to those who need it. If you want to ride Space Mountain a dozen times, you could get in the standby line repeatedly to do so. You should not be barred from doing this just because you have a disability.
No, there shouldn't be limits but people need to acknowledge that it isn't a one to one comparison because of how the system works. For example, if Space Mountain averages an hour wait all day and I want to ride it a dozen times I just ate up my entire day sitting in the line for Space Mountain for those 12 rides. A person with DAS can go do as much as they can fit between each ride so they end up riding SM 12 times plus a bunch of the rest of the park.

2) There are a number of special needs kids who really only want to ride 1-2 rides repeatedly on their trip, in many cases such rides provide a therapeutic effect.
Absolutely this and thankfully, the new system shouldn't impact the groups that generally fall into this category.

TrojanUSC

No, there shouldn't be limits but people need to acknowledge that it isn't a one to one comparison because of how the system works. For example, if Space Mountain averages an hour wait all day and I want to ride it a dozen times I just ate up my entire day sitting in the line for Space Mountain for those 12 rides. A person with DAS can go do as much as they can fit between each ride so they end up riding SM 12 times plus a bunch of the rest of the park.

Yes, that's true but short of putting you in a holding cell while you wait for your ride time, there has to be an accommodation for people who want to re-ride but can't wait in a traditional queue.

Also the people who actually can't wait in a traditional queue won't be getting in line for other rides in the interim, but they should be allowed to eat or shop.

MerlinTheGoat

I donā€™t think they have any intent to deny appropriate accommodationsā€¦
As I posted earlier in this thread, they are in fact already doing exactly that. Well before these new crackdown. I know this from experience because my mother has had increasing difficulty convincing cast to let her use DAS over the past couple of years now. And again, she has legitimate physical conditions that classify her as disabled by her doctors, and has verifiable evidence of it too.

Since the past couple of years, she has been told by cast that DAS is intended to accommodate only from-birth mental illnesses, not physical.

Her doctor incidentally (who is also a big Disney fan and visits often) also agrees that the exclusionary direction DAS has been moving towards regarding those who really need it is unacceptable.

Smiley/OCD

I don't even know how it will work since there arnt CMs all throughout the line and like you said other people without a disability will want to use it so who do you even talk to to get it? No one wants to discuss their issues at every ride multiple times.
I canā€™t wait to look for a CM and raise my hand like a second grader for a bathroom pass, then the confrontation when I attempt to turn around in line to leaveā€¦then attempt to get back into the same spot I was in. People complaining about DAS users ā€œcuttingā€ the line..I canā€™t WAIT for the complaints about the people cutting the line to get back inā€¦

ConfettiCupcake

Absolutely this and thankfully, the new system shouldn't impact the groups that generally fall into this category.
Your Space Mountain example, while extreme, illustrates why I think Disney may be going the route of strictly limiting who can actually use the DAS. For people who cannot get by without it, it probably is not offering them a superior theme park experience. They likely are not using it to optimize their park day, rather they are using it to avoid being stuck in a queue for a multitude of reasons that are case dependent.

For people who can get by without it, albeit not ideally, it can create a superior scenario which encourages heavier use of it. Itā€™s these grey area folks that I think Disney is attempting to curb here - on top of the flat out liars-, those who are helped by DAS but can be granted access to attractions in other ways. I donā€™t blame people for using the tools at their disposal that Disney has given them to be clear.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As I posted earlier in this thread, they are in fact already doing exactly that. Well before these new crackdown. I know this from experience because my mother has had increasing difficulty convincing cast to let her use DAS over the past couple of years now. And again, she has legitimate physical conditions that classify her as disabled by her doctors, and has verifiable evidence of it too.

Since the past couple of years, she has been told by cast that DAS is intended to accommodate only from-birth mental illnesses, not physical.

Her doctor incidentally (who is also a big Disney fan and visits often) also agrees that the exclusionary direction DAS has been moving towards regarding those who really need it is unacceptable.
Iā€™m not disputing any of what you sayā€¦I was just wondering if you could elaborate on what the condition(s) are in general terms and what they have said regarding access?

TrainsOfDisney

That is a far superior and not at all equal experience - hence the fraud.
I donā€™t mind that a family that has any number of difficulties that I donā€™t have gets to ride the peoplemover while Iā€™m in line for space mountain.

I donā€™t call that fraud at all and donā€™t understand how anyone can be so unsympathetic.

Itā€™s like not wanting someone to have a handicap spot cause theyā€™ll get in to the check in line sooner while you have to wait.

Brian

Exactly, and why you are enjoying your ride around Tomorrowland on the Peoplemover, your "equal" counterpart is standing in an hour long Space Mountain line.

That is a far superior and not at all equal experience - hence the fraud. Don't solve that, won't solve the fraud.
Or the guest with disabilities could be having a meltdown in the middle of Fantasyland, requiring the intervention of the whole family. You act as if the guests with DAS have it made, but in reality, those with legitimate needs often face additional barriers to enjoyment of the park that non-disabled guests will never face. It's not always an even trade off, but rest assured that guests with legitimate needs are not simply kicking back on the Peoplemover while you wait in the physical queue, and they wait virtually, for Space Mountain.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I canā€™t wait to look for a CM and raise my hand like a second grader for a bathroom pass, then the confrontation when I attempt to turn around in line to leaveā€¦then attempt to get back into the same spot I was in. People complaining about DAS users ā€œcuttingā€ the line..I canā€™t WAIT for the complaints about the people cutting the line to get back inā€¦
So what is your suggested alternative?

I know itā€™s not suggesting if you ā€œreally need itā€ you get walked onā€¦because that isnā€™t gonna fly.

The problem is in Orlando getting on a ride takes ā€œworkā€ due to mismanagement. That is whatā€™s creating the chaos and causing a raging debate for what would never be an issue if the parks were equipped properly.

Interesting because we have had the opposite experience our return time was always the posted wait time and Disney tends to pad those. Then you still have to wait some in the LL.
You do still have to wait in the LL, true. But under a certain threshold of wait, the time needed to get into that lighting lane is under what Disney is posting. At least for me.

Baring that, the 15 minute thing is because Disney eliminates 10 minutes of standby times when booking for travel to the ride and then you can scan in 5 minutes early for either DAS or LL without a CM needing to green light it.

I see many ppl walk up and literally book the DAS in front of me and walk in when we are posted at 15min. Or they know they can just show the pass and walk in. It's not really a big deal in situations where waits are low. But it is a difference worth noting. And when the ride stops for even 5 minutes and it takes the system longer than that to adjust waits, it does effect how many are in the LL and phases.

Little things add up. None of this is an issue on its own, but every little thing does add up, meaning that unless it's being used perfectly the way it's supposed to, each one of these things can break it in some way.

Happyday

Why do people keep acting like DAS and G+ are not comparable? Yes, we know they are not the same but they are very similar and most of the time I would argue DAS is much better.

G+:
  • Select a vague, maybe accurate return time that is anywhere from now to never as a ride can no longer be available, even early in the day.
  • Can be used once per ride.
  • Can not select another for 2 hours or until you scan into the ride.
  • Can only be used on rides with G+.
  • Is paid.

DAS:
  • You are given a return time based on the current wait time minus 10-20 minutes set aside for travel but never ā€œruns outā€.
  • Can be used as many times as you like.
  • Can only have one at a time and can select another as soon as you scan into the ride.
  • Getā€™s two preselects if approved ahead of time.
  • Can be used on rides that donā€™t have G+.
  • Is free.

Those are very similar with DAS looking like the more attractive option in many ways. That is not even remotely an issue when you are talking about people who can't even visit without these accommodations but that isn't what is happening. Technically I qualify for pre change DAS and that is a problem because there is ZERO reason I should be allowed into that system.
I agree they are similar however they are not meant to be compared. Let me just correct a few things you do not get a return time 10-20 minutes less we have never noticed a time less than exactly the wait time.
If you are with someone who needs this under the new guidelines there are times you do not get back to the attraction at the return time we have ended up not getting back to a ride a full hour after our allotted return time, Genie+ is exactly 1 hour and remember you can't get another one till you have used the one you have. Again if you are with someone who needs this you are not booking another one after you scan in you are assisting the DAS user.
I understand your frustration and I agree that they are limiting it too much but I am hopeful Disney will fix all the bugs and issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom