News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Smiley/OCD

I'm not sure I would agree. In 1927 the economy was booming, Tiana had a new business, and a new truck would most likely have been purchased. The crash wasn't until 1929 and even though we, looking back, know that the Great Depression was looming, I don't think many people at the time realized it.

The trucks we see in pictures taken during the Great Depression look used and worn because by that point they were - very few people had money to replace those purchased earlier.
We can absolutely agree to disagree on this one…as a former business owner, my vehicles looked used because they WERE used, not showroom fresh.

aladdin2007

I like the vehicle, and while I understand what the Mom is saying,,I just wish the vehicle looked a little less shiny and more worked into the surroundings instead of looking like it rolled right out of the showroom. This entire project however is getting very muddled with too much so they can push what they want to push with it. Is it a ride? a restaurant? a grocery store? a drive through? a bayou flood? a garden club? or a pot farm? Starting to think its all the above because too much cooking in the kitchen...again get the 🍿out, its going to be needed in the days ahead.

Incomudro

"Employee Owned" emblemized on the truck and sign is what I have the most difficult part with.
Would that really be a thing that would be touted with signage in the 1920's?
It's a term that people are into now, like "sustainability," "green," etc.
A 2020's term used in a 1920's setting.
I don't think consumers - which is who signs are for - really cared about those things back then.

Sir_Cliff

I don't mind that the truck is shiny, I just don't think the company logo or any of the fonts look appropriate for the time period.

This website has some New Orleans signs/advertisements from over the years and none from around the time Tiana is set or even the decades afterwards look anything like her business logo:

Ghost93

I know Naveen's parents cut him off from their wealth in the film, but it wouldn't surprise me if they relented a bit after he got married and demonstrated he's willing to work hard and contributed to the business. Big Daddy and Charlotte might be investors too.
I thought Naveen's parents only cut him off because he wasn't married, but that once he married Tiana and showed he was going to tone down his party-lifestyle he would get money. Isn't that how they ended up paying for the lot to own Tiana's Palace at the end of the movie?

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
Could we potentially get the date tomorrow? ontop of the critters, Anika Nani Rose is also on GMA tomorrow morning aswell, could be nice to have her announce it
Screenshot (26).png

Are we certain she's appearing tomorrow?

James Alucobond

I don't mind that the truck is shiny, I just don't think the company logo or any of the fonts look appropriate for the time period.

This website has some New Orleans signs/advertisements from over the years and none from around the time Tiana is set or even the decades afterwards look anything like her business logo:

The fonts aren’t actually that bad aside from the dumb brush script stuff. I haven’t looked into the exact fonts used and whether or not they were released yet, but you had fonts like Broadway, Parisian, Bauhaus, and Underground coming out during this time. And to be completely fair, I think Monotype Script was some time in the very early 30s, but the way they’ve used brush script here looks decidedly cheugy.

mergatroid

There were about 55 figures in WDWs Splash that were genuine animatronics. About 17-18 in the finale alone. About 75 genuine animatronics at Disneyland's version, 26 of which were in its finale. All of those characters on the riverboat for instance were the real deal and had a very good range of movement when maintained. There weren't as many simple ones as you'd think, those were mostly relegated to things such as the spinning beehives, tiny hanging possums, and a couple of the Brer Bears (despite his large size, he's already a slow moving character, so they were somewhat able to make it work for him). But even a lot of the smaller critters such as the bullfrogs had quite a lot of dynamic motion to them (swivel, bobbing up and down, eyelids, mouths that were synced to the lyrics).

If Tiana only has about 17ish figures that could be considered genuine animatronics (a1000 or not), while the rest are relegated to something akin to that Beaver figure with only 2-3 axes of repetitive canned motion, we'd definitely have a problem. I don't think there are only 17, but we'll see.

Well that's at least a positive prediction of an outcome rather than just concentrating on the negative aspect.

TrainsOfDisney

None of that matters cause of singing bears.
In the fantasy world of Disney salt mines and modern signage all exist in the middle of New Orleans!

Smiley/OCD

Plus, since this IS a salt mine and plenty of salt in the vicinity…you would think there would be just a TAD of body rust on the truck like around the wheel wells…

MrPromey

The fonts aren’t actually that bad aside from the dumb brush script stuff. I haven’t looked into the exact fonts used and whether or not they were released yet, but you had fonts like Broadway, Parisian, Bauhaus, and Underground coming out during this time. And to be completely fair, I think Monotype Script was some time in the very early 30s, but the way they’ve used brush script here looks decidedly cheugy.
Hand lettering would have been the way to go here for the script part, at least, even if they weren't going to actually hand paint it directly on the truck but that's a skill that requires more effort than your typical modern day designer working in Illustrator is trained in.

Screen printing as we think of it today was invented back in 1907 so it existed but that came out of England, taking time both to be developed into a commercial process and to make its way to the US. It would have still been expensive and a little uncommon due to the cost of the materials, particularly the silk, at the time.

I feel the same way about the banner. For a one-time event, how common was it for people to have something produced by a sign shop using letter press blocks back then?

My guess would be they didn't think most would notice (if anyone really even thought about it) and that level of detail wouldn't be worth it.

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

All you people are so weird and angry about Tiana’s having a car and being set in 1927, when Country Bears is literally set in the modern era. At least when WDW opened….

If we’re getting into semantics: The founder of Grizzly Hall, Ursus H. Bear, died in 1928. And they’re all singing songs that were written in the 30’s-60’s. Frontierland isn’t specifically set in the 1800’s. Never has been in the entire history of WDW. It’s an amalgamation of themes and timelines.

Yes, you could lean into the timeline of Liberty Square melding into Frontierland chronologically, but it’s more representative of the geography of the westward expansion of the United States.

James Alucobond

Hand lettering would have been the way to go here for the script part, at least, even if they weren't going to actually hand paint it directly on the truck but that's a skill that requires more effort than your typical modern day designer working in Illustrator is trained in.

Screen printing as we think of it today was invented back in 1907 so it existed but that came out of England and it would have still been expensive and a little uncommon due to the cost of the materials at the time.

I feel the same way about the banner. For a one-time event, how common was it for people to have something produced by a sign shop using letter press blocks back then?

My guess would be they didn't think most would notice (if anyone really even thought about it) and that level of detail wouldn't be worth it.
Totally agree, though not exactly surprising when you’re dealing with people who apparently thought all diacritical marks were interchangeable in part of the Ratatouille expansion.

MerlinTheGoat

I thought Naveen's parents only cut him off because he wasn't married, but that once he married Tiana and showed he was going to tone down his party-lifestyle he would get money. Isn't that how they ended up paying for the lot to own Tiana's Palace at the end of the movie?
From what I recall, they just cut him off for good. He wasn't looking for a wife to regain their support, he was looking for a wealthy girl so her fortune would support him. Facilier mentioned that in his song. Naveen initially tried to woo Tiana into kissing him because (besides wanting to turn back into a human) he saw her in a fancy dress and assumed she was really wealthy. IIRC he was upset when he discovered she was a struggling waitress.

Ghost93

From what I recall, they just cut him off for good. He wasn't looking for a wife to regain their support, he was looking for a wealthy girl so her fortune would support him. Facilier mentioned that in his song. Naveen initially tried to woo Tiana into kissing him because (besides wanting to turn back into a human) he saw her in a fancy dress and assumed she was really wealthy. IIRC he was upset when he discovered she was a struggling waitress.
Maybe the Disney Plus animated series will finally give us the much-needed answers about Prince Naveen's finances.

Suspirian

Very "Live, Laugh, Love" looking

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom