News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

celluloid

Why do Aladdin and Moana go in Adventureland in spite of having a lot of overlap with Fantasyland as fantasy royalty?
You are pointing out the declining by degrees I have now.
Tiana continues this situation. Homogenized.
If we just get a princess in Tomorrowland or Liberty Square, we can complete the fairytale in every land situation.
Welcome!

Last edited:

James Alucobond

You are pointing out the declining by degrees I have now.
Tiana continues this situation. Homogenized.
Welcome!
Yet you ignore that there are three opening day lands in the same park that successfully explore different aspects of Americana. There is no reason there cannot be two lands that successfully explore different aspects of fantasy and adventure beyond the existing mission statements of Fantasyland and Adventureland.

celluloid

Yet you ignore that there are three opening day lands in the same park that successfully explore different aspects of Americana.

No I am not. We already went over that.

Walt Disney specifically designed Disneyland to be Americana. Fantasyland too. Most families have read their children fairytales and in Walt's time. Most American Families had the adults remembering Mainstreet USA like Baby Boomers now would recall the 1950s/50s of a clean checkered diner now.
This is not even a subtle thing. Walt's words and you enter through Mainstreet USA.

The Entirety of Disneyland was always Americana. Even Adventureland and Fantasyland for their history with America's past and exploration. Later ToonTown with complete parody of it in cartoon style. Magic Kingdom modeled this, as have other castle parks. And then there has been a decline in the last couple decades. You can be fine with it. But it is what has happened.

You either ignored the recent discussions or are just arguing to argue.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

To review my back and forth with you, you posted a long list of attractions that you felt exemplified why a villain-only attraction would be suboptimal. I proposed an attraction format that I thought would work and was consistent with other attractions on property. You asked why that couldn't just go in Fantasyland. I have subsequently been arguing that many attractions could be moved between lands (including opening day ones, e.g. Hall of Presidents to Main Street U.S.A.) and that there is already slight thematic overlap between some lands, differentiated by the mission statement. Therefore, I don't see why a potential villain land and Fantasyland couldn't successfully coexist if executed properly. Sorry if you said something prior to that which you felt already addressed that before I jumped in.

celluloid

. Hall of Presidents to Main Street U.S.A.
That would be rough. The show prior to the Presidents roll call is mainly on forming our nation's origin and declaration and constitution. The only crossover, and maybe your confusion comes with there being a Great Moments of Mr. Lincoln at Disneyland.
Main Street USA would be the late 1800s and Early 1900s with a railroad station right there and automobiles slowly replacing horse buggies and drawn trollies. Lincoln by himself fits well the way Disneyland did it.(He died in the late 1800s of course)

When it was expanded to be the origin of our country and how that leadership came to be. Liberty Square made much more sense. They both happen to feature Lincoln giving his most famous address.

WowFactor

Excellent suggestion! Go ahead and make a “dark” corner of Fantasyland, but the attractions’ stories should essentially be more typical Fantasyland attractions - at least the way they used to be. Snow White’s Scary Adventures would have fit perfectly there. That boat has sailed, but Pinocchio’s Daring Journey as it exists in Disneyland would fit in a dark corner. Create a Hercules attraction where 90% of the time Herc is fighting underworld monsters. Or help the 101 dalmatians escape from DeVille Manor.

The classic formula works.

Could you even… dare I say it… bring back Toad!?
I agree! In fact my Villains Village project uses this premisse, and one of the rides is a rescue of the dalmatians 😊

Oh if you want to know more about the project here's the link

9BA4FDD5-9FD1-4721-ABEE-E6A4BD97F019.jpeg

fgmnt

100% opinion by me here, but I think if you want to sell management on making a phase 2 actually get made in the north/west portion of park grounds, you need to design a second entrance to the park that gets built alongside phase 1 in the shadow of phase 2. A northern bus plaza that all hotels run a bus to at all hours of the day, train station, shops, and a hub that can send you off to the new additions with passageways into Fantasyland.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
These threads have quickly gone off the rails…down the ramp…and OUT THE DOOR.

I get the exuberance. For 20 years Iger, Inc has deliberately slow rolled wdw, creating a capacity crunch and coincidentally offering upsells as a way around it.

But it was because of an old corporate raider causing a ruckus in 2023 and a streaming service that didn’t exist until 2019.

It makes total sense. He’s that kinda visionary. Like Sam Beckett.

But NOW…after evil Jay was defeated…he can be free to let “the imagineering flow through him” and build 4 lands, 12 attractions in Orlando that they never could have pulled off before.

Things definitely looking up.

Or maybe we will very soon put the rudder back to center?

TalkingHead

Why do Aladdin and Moana go in Adventureland in spite of having a lot of overlap with Fantasyland as fantasy royalty?
I mean, talk about problematic. It’ll take the peanut gallery about five minutes to realize the Disney characters of color are being associated with Frontierland and Adventureland. Which makes Fantasyland a de facto white Eurocentric land. Modern Disney’s okay with that but not the connotations of “the frontier”?

celluloid

I mean, talk about problematic. It’ll take the peanut gallery about five minutes to realize the Disney characters of color are being associated with Frontierland and Adventureland. Which makes Fantasyland a de facto white Eurocentric land. Modern Disney’s okay with that but not the connotations of “the frontier”?

The problematic is a guise that please some and makes it easier to swallow.

Princesses make money, that is why more and more the lands have not subtle IP installed.

Tiana, Country Bears are the latest.

Indy and Encanto over in DAK.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

100% opinion by me here, but I think if you want to sell management on making a phase 2 actually get made in the north/west portion of park grounds, you need to design a second entrance to the park that gets built alongside phase 1 in the shadow of phase 2. A northern bus plaza that all hotels run a bus to at all hours of the day, train station, shops, and a hub that can send you off to the new additions with passageways into Fantasyland.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I think the biggest issue with a secondary entrance is getting people to use it. Most guests are going to want to enter through the train station for the Main Street/castle reveal. I speculated about running resort buses there instead of the main entrance, but I think too many guests would be upset about that.

I suppose they could build something along the lines of Main Street and the castle at the secondary entrance that fit whatever themed area it leads to, but I don't know if they'd want it to actually compete with the castle.

Villains0501

I don’t think they’d be opposing Mickey. I think they’d be opposing us.

I’m imagining a RoTR-esque story where we are trying to narrowly escape a group of baddies (Hades, Maleficent, Chernabog, etc.). Add an Ursula Spinner and a family coaster themed to Yzma or Oogie Boogie and you’ve got the makings of a great land.
I think that’s what it will be exactly. The story will be a land where all the Villains have been banished (a la Descendants), and they’re trying to break out, and you (the rider) have to stop them to save the Magic Kingdom. E-ticket done.

This isn’t that hard, guys.

fgmnt

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I think the biggest issue with a secondary entrance is getting people to use it. Most guests are going to want to enter through the train station for the Main Street/castle reveal. I speculated about running resort buses there instead of the main entrance, but I think too many guests would be upset about that.

I suppose they could build something along the lines of Main Street and the castle at the secondary entrance that fit whatever themed area it leads to, but I don't know if they'd want it to actually compete with the castle.
I think you will get a lot of buy in among guests who will want to be closer to the new major attractions at the start, that gets them to enter there. For the exit, would need to have a reason to be back there <2 hours before close.

But yes, you would have to go all in and make
an “alternate” Main Street that can consistently drive traffic to that end.

DC0703

I could see a second entrance being popular among Disney regulars and season pass holders, who might prefer the convenience of skipping the crowds. They could also re-locate the offsite resort busses and rideshare drop-offs there, since the drop off at the TTC is a pain.

That said, to put a second entrance in, they would need some way for people to access it, which means either needing extra parking lots back there or relocation of the resort busses. It's for this reason that I doubt they would do it.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Alright please forgive me, but the tin-foil hat is on.

In the recent video from WDI about the Tiana's Bayou Adventure animatronics, there are a number of b-roll shots throughout the video containing aspects from a variety of different projects. Most of these include projects we've already seen come to fruition like Journey of Water and Shanghai Pirates, but there was one incredibly specific clip that caught my eye. At the 7:25 mark of the video we see two imagineers, one of them wearing a virtual reality headset, reviewing some kind of test footage.

The shot only lasts for 26 frames but from what I can tell here, whatever they're testing seems entirely unfamiliar to me and appears to be a VR preliminary ride-through POV. The test footage has a silhouette of a ride vehicle in the bottom of the frame which stops in front of two pillars looking into a hallway with purple/dark blue walls. A light shines on a small figure in the center of view, who then promptly does a backflip as the light turns off and the ride vehicle pans away from the scene. In the room surrounding the imagineers, the walls are covered by large project boards covered in a wide variety of images. Most are too out of focus to discern, but on the right wall you can barely make out an image of Sorcerer Mickey, a silhouette of the Genie, and a character who resembles Ariel. Upon reviewing the footage, Sorcerer Mickey appears to be the backflipping character in the test footage.

1712464392413.png

1712464424512.png
Sorcerer Mickey
1712464480392.png
The Genie
1712464526618.png
Ariel?
1712464585354.png
Sorcerer Mickey in the test footage?
1712464616516.png
Closer

With that said, the first thing that comes to my mind when discussing an attraction with Sorcerer Mickey is Villains Land and the fan concept of "Fantasmic but it's a ride." Do you think this could be a very early draft of the Villains E-ticket? Or is this some other project I can't recall/something else entirely? Would love if any insiders could chime in.

Bayou

I believe that having multiple entrances will diminish the experience of the parks. Even Walt Disney himself declined to incorporate multiple entrances in Disneyland because he believed it would detract from the guests' experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom