The Merch Alert Thread

MarvelCharacterNerd

There's a lovely series of pins the company's Employee Center is doing based on some of the snowglobes made in the past (and some I believe are new designs as well).

A few examples courtesy of disneypinsblog.com:

1695086350105.png

1695086365467.png

1695086379907.png

A way to collect the snowglobes but take up less room. lol (Though the pins' secondary market prices are likely as expensive as the original snowglobes. :))

Phroobar

Life Day Chewbacca

iu

CaptinEO

The cartoon portion is on Disney+. Maybe there is a royalty issue with the rest?
Did not know this. Then again I have a copy I downloaded to watch at any time, in addition to my original cut of the trilogy laserdisc box set. Disney must have some agreement with George Lucas to not release the originals.

Phroobar

Did not know this. Then again I have a copy I downloaded to watch at any time, in addition to my original cut of the trilogy laserdisc box set. Disney must have some agreement with George Lucas to not release the originals.
I've always wanted that laserdisc box set. I have the originals on VHS. It's kind of weird watching them expecting one thing and getting something very different.

Figments Friend

Everyone who has even a remote interest in ‘Star Wars’ NEEDS to see the ‘Holiday Special’ at least once in their life.

It is absolutely hilarious, disturbing, random, perplexing, and at the same time befuddling.
Not to mention incredibly disappointing, pointless, and downright boring at times!
And don’t get me started on the ‘trippy’ segments…and Luke’s eyeliner.
Yes, eyeliner.

However, having said all that…
It REALLY, really is a must see at least once.
Easy to find on YouTube usually…as no matter how many times it gets taken down, the fans keep reposting it for us to ‘enjoy’ over and over again!
Bless em’…
:)

For further reading…for those curious as to what this is all about -

Hard to describe, but at the same time probably best I do not attempt to.
Just watch it some time.

Might want to turn it into a drinking game whenever one of the Wookiees growls.
Guaranteed that this will likely make it a far more enjoyable experience, and hey, maybe those ‘tripped out’ psychedelic flavored moments will make more sense!

As Emperor Palpetine once elegantly stated….
“Dew It…!”

-

Last edited:

Phroobar

The reason for the heavy makeup on Hamill was to hide his injuries from his corvette accident just a few weeks before. Not sure about the eyeliner but it was the 70s. Even the CG version of him in the Mandalorian looks more lifelike.

iu

Also Carrie Fisher sings a song while totally stoned.

Rich T

IMG_6336.jpeg

Just a reminder that this book now exists and is possibly the single greatest and most reasonably priced bit of classic attraction respect Disney’s released in ages.

It’s basically the entire original 1983 ride in book form, with text based on the original Sherman Brothers lyrics.

Photo taken at Epcot. Californians can get it through Amazon. 😃

CaptinEO

View attachment 772575
Just a reminder that this book now exists and is possibly the single greatest and most reasonably priced bit of classic attraction respect Disney’s released in ages.

It’s basically the entire original 1983 ride in book form, with text based on the original Sherman Brothers lyrics.

Photo taken at Epcot. Californians can get it through Amazon. 😃
Don't get the Figment fandom at all, probably the most annoying character Disney ever made in my opinion.

Rich T

Don't get the Figment fandom at all, probably the most annoying character Disney ever made in my opinion.
Just curious: Did you experience the original 1983 Journey into Imagination? His personality was very different then; he was turned into a bit of an obnoxious gremlin in the lousy redo.

I still understand if you did find the 1983 Figment annoying, but I think having the duo of Dreamfinder and Figment worked very well as a team. I personally don’t think Figment really works without Dreamfinder. And Eric Idle, awesome as he can be, was not a good substitute.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

Just curious: Did you experience the original 1983 Journey into Imagination? His personality was very different then; he was turned into a bit of an obnoxious gremlin in the lousy redo.

I still understand if you did find the 1983 Figment annoying, but I think having the duo of Dreamfinder and Figment worked very well as a team. I personally don’t think Figment really works without Dreamfinder. And Eric Idle, awesome as he can be, was not a good substitute.
I did not go to see the 83 version. I've only seen what's in the park as of my first visit in 2012.

That's too bad the duo is gone.

When people buy figment merch is it the same character as the new figment? Or is it supposed to be 83 figment?

Rich T

I did not go to see the 83 version. I've only seen what's in the park as of my first visit in 2012.

That's too bad the duo is gone.

When people buy figment merch is it the same character as the new figment? Or is it supposed to be 83 figment?
Good question! The character design remains the same, so I guess most of the merch can be applied to either, but I’m guessing the diehard Figment fans ALWAYS are thinking of the original ride, where Figment played the role of an awestruck, innocent, eager-to-learn pupil to Dreamfinder, who played the role of wise, jolly mentor. When I first rode the new version a couple of years ago, I was depressed to experience the dull and dumbed-down new version, with Figment now playing the part of an obnoxious, one-note, trouble-making pest to Eric Idle’s officious, high-strung host character.

The original begins with Dreamfinder creating Figment, and ends with Dreamfinder setting the little dragon free into the world to be anything he wants to be. “Obnoxious Brat Who Never Left the Building” was not one of the imagined career paths.

I love that the new picture book unexpectedly turned out to be a tribute-filled retelling of the 1983 ride (including a hidden caricature of Tony Baxter). The final page is an homage to the concept portrait of Dreamfinder and Figment featured in the 1996 book “Walt Disney Imagineering.”

If you have time, check out the recent Youtube video “Journey into Imagination: Revisited” which does a pretty good job a patching together a complete ride-through of the 1983 ride, though some of the technical wonder isn’t immediately apparent; that first big animatronic blimp set-piece, for instance, followed alongside the ride vehicles for about 3 minutes until the song was finished. The second half of the video includes rare footage of the original Image Works activities, with some great cel animation of Figment. Great footage, too, of the Dreamfinder walk-around character with the correctly-scaled Figment puppet.

The ride was a bit divisive even then, as some found it too simplistic and fanciful. Those who loved it, however, found it charming, optimistic, a bit emotional, and a necessary colorful heart for Epcot.

And there was absolutely no skunk spray scene back then. 😃

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom