News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

Vegas Disney Fan

I don’t know…nothing “amazing” ever closed on Disney ground in a year. Especially when it’s all about “luxury”
It’s the first time Disney has tried something this expensive that requires thousands of guests.

I think they mistook the middle class success of DCL and the small upper class market that take Disney excursions and thought they had a larger upper class market than they actually do.

Most of the forum had been saying since this was announced we didn’t think it had a large enough market to sustain it, only Disney seemed to think it did.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s the first time Disney has tried something this expensive that requires thousands of guests.

I think they mistook the middle class success of DCL and the small upper class market that take Disney excursions and thought they had a larger upper class market than they actually do.

Most of the board had been saying since this was announced we didn’t think it had a large enough market to sustain it, only Disney seemed to think it did.
It was likely DOA.

I’ll admit…I didn’t believe it until I saw it…

But obviously someone screwed up bigtime on this. We’ll find out eventually

I bet it’s a myriad of things…my best guess is it wasn’t Star Wars enough for the price?

Incomudro

That is a compelling point...
And while I am not the prime market for the Galactic Starcruiser, if it had looked better may have given it a shot..
but the videos and pictures I have seen, while cute, did not live up to the initial hype in my eyes...
and honestly the design and build looked budget...Not Intergalactic Cruise Ship...I wanted to see Flohston Paradise...not deregulated freight ship...
It did look built to a budget.
As though they were afraid to invest too much knowing that it might fail.
I didn't partake in the Starcruiser, so by impression is only based in videos and images - but it didn't appear to me that it did a very good job of being convincing that you were on a ship.
It looked like poured concrete floors, and other elements of being in a building.

Incomudro

Too expensive for the market does not equal bad.

Every YouTube I’ve watched has raved about how much fun it was, all while saying it’s too expensive.

Not sure why people can’t differentiate between the two.

Bugatti loses money every year, that doesn’t make the cars bad, it just shows there isn’t a large market for multi million dollar cars.
Though arguably in a Bugatti, even for the masses that can't afford one - you can see where the money goes.
The engineering, choice of materials, etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
100 rooms, max capacity was somewhere in the 400s I think. It was open for 19 months, with roughly 12 of them sold out completely. Lets just spitball and say the other 7 were at about half. I'll use 350 as an estimate for sold out cruises. It's a little low but most cabins held 4 or 5 other than the 2br, but there were only 2 of those.

say 180 (ish) voyages sold out: 180*350 = 63000
and 105 (ish) voyages half full/empty: 105*175 = 18375

That's roughly 81000 guests. Definitely had some repeats, but it's got to be at least 50000 unique guests. And I'm trying to slightly undercount.

You of all people know that closing anything like this is about money and not quality. It didn't make that much money, and half the people going spent their money on this instead of high margin items in the parks.
I of all people know that Disney can sell sea water to sailors…hell…as a pup I used to spitball ways to do it.

So we are in the neighborhood…but haven’t figured out the fundamental flaw yet - me thinks?

flynnibus

Premium Member

The avg rack rate at the Poly in the cheap rooms is nearly $900/night
2 adults, 2 children park hoppers in April 2024 is >$2700.. so avg another almost $700/night
Throw in Genie+... another $80+/day
Dining Plan? Another $260/day

So you're looking at over $2k/day for this prototypical Deluxe hotel visitor. (before Discounts)
Starcruiser was about 6k for that same family of 4.. So 4k vs 6k. For something that was supposed to be very special, and 'above and beyond' just your normal park stay.

I think Disney has a ton of customers fitting that prototypical model... considering they have tons of people who used similar kind of math to justify buying DVC.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
VjaOeqZ.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The avg rack rate at the Poly in the cheap rooms is nearly $900/night
2 adults, 2 children park hoppers in April 2024 is >$2700.. so avg another almost $700/night
Throw in Genie+... another $80+/day
Dining Plan? Another $260/day

So you're looking at over $2k/day for this prototypical Deluxe hotel visitor. (before Discounts)
Starcruiser was about 6k for that same family of 4.. So 4k vs 6k. For something that was supposed to be very special, and 'above and beyond' just your normal park stay.

I think Disney has a ton of customers fitting that prototypical model... considering they have tons of people who used similar kind of math to justify buying DVC.
1. You know they don’t sell a lot of those rooms at rack rate. And it’s been trending that way for years. I think you know that
2. But let’s just assume you are correct and money ISNT the problem (it is…it’s not a “whale zone”…the cards have fallen…but still)…
So why couldn’t they sell it?

If it’s not money…it’s one other thing…and we are coming up on the 11th anniversary of it in a matter of days.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Amazing the amount of energy some people use to go on to internet message boards to convince fans that the thing they like that they didn't like it.
Almost offsets excuse making for public companies they really have nothing to do with?

But to be fair…some are low level employees trying to pump up their places…so that’s at least therapeutic.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
ALL the positive Starcruiser reviews are from Disney shills? Amazing Disney has such power! You'd think they'd try using it to influence reviews of their films, too...
How many reviews we talking?

And please don’t say “guest satisfaction ratings”

Because Disney is allowed to lie about informal polling - or make it up - as a PR tool…the SEC isn’t gonna show up

_caleb

People liked it so much it is now closed forever. Oh so popular.
You really don't think that people liking things and its popularity are the same, do you?

In my opinion, some of the best parts of the parks are not very popular (and sometimes because they're not very popular). Epcot is what it is today becasue some of the best attractions ever made weren't popular enough. Does that make them bad?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, for starters you could skim the 17 pages of this thread for Starcruiser impressions for WDWMagic members who went.
I’ll pass…and you know why?

They’re on a fan forum!!

I get fans are gonna go…and as pointed out upthread: it’s “highly unlikely” they were gonna give it a negative review after paying and seeing the demand and price sink like a lead balloon…

But as is tell everyone daily: it’s a MASS model.

So why did it fail. Star Wars - also pointed out - doesn’t lack “masses”

So really what happened?

peter11435

They’re on a fan forum!!

I get fans are gonna go…and as pointed out upthread: it’s “highly unlikely” they were gonna give it a negative review after paying and seeing the demand and price sink like a lead balloon…

So really what happened?
You and reality don’t seem to see eye to eye sometimes

_caleb

They’re on a fan forum!!

So really what happened?
So WDW Magic members' positive opinions don't count because they're fans, but negative ones are somehow trustworthy? And YouTubers'/bloggers opinions don't count because they're paid shills and/or would be embarrassed to say they didn't like it.

Do you see how you're filtering out anyone who might have anything positive to say about the Starcruiser?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom