News Disney World's Magic Kingdom is experiencing widescale attraction closures this morning due to a bear

allgiggles

I'm sorry but this is ecologically ignorant. It sounds great in a tree-hugging sort of way but it's wrong on the facts.

Encounters with black bears are on the rise because the black bear population is BOOMING. It's not a case of development squeezing bears into smaller areas that then bleed into human-populated communities. It's a case of agricultural land (i.e. farms) being abandoned all up and down the East Coast of the United States and returned to their natural, forested states. More forests and fewer farms means more bears.

I read this and now I can't get this earworm out of my head:

FACT: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Last edited:

DisneyOutsider

I'm sorry but this is ecologically ignorant. It sounds great in a tree-hugging sort of way but it's wrong on the facts.

Encounters with black bears are on the rise because the black bear population is BOOMING. It's not a case of development squeezing bears into smaller areas that then bleed into human-populated communities. It's a case of agricultural land (i.e. farms) being abandoned all up and down the East Coast of the United States and returned to their natural, forested states. More forests and fewer farms means more bears.
It's true that our Black Bear populations are recovering rapidly, but it's simultaneously true that Black Bears are continuing to face habitat loss due to human development in and near forested areas. Those are both facts.

What I haven't heard before is the theory that a glut of abandoned agricultural land-plots are driving their population recovery. Everything I've seen has almost exclusively attributed their continued recovery to stricter conservation laws and better forest preservation management.

Do you have any links I could see to read up about your preferred thesis?

CaptainAmerica

It's true that our Black Bear populations are recovering rapidly, but it's simultaneously true that Black Bears are continuing to face habitat loss due to human development in and near forested areas. Those are both facts.

What I haven't heard before is the theory that a glut of abandoned agricultural land-plots are driving their population recovery. Everything I've seen has almost exclusively attributed their continued recovery to stricter conservation laws and better forest preservation management.

some other guy

I mean he wouldn't be in Tomorrowland, how many bears do you see in science fiction?
the Robotech EU included some bear aliens
1695058679371.png

Splash4eva

Lets close down all of Disney and give the bears all their land back. Problem solved. Iger the real hero!

JohnD

Do they not have someone on call to tranquilize the bear? Disney owns a whole zoo...
More than likely. It wouldn't surprise me if Disney vets worked with Florida Fish & Wildlife Commission (FWC). But a removal of wildlife still requires FWC to take possession and move the bear.

Beacon Joe

It was a refreshing, but brief, change from complaining about everything Disney does does wrong.

I was tempted to leave my den and post in this thread as an opportunity to gripe about the unbearable changes announced for Country Bear Jamboree, but I had the forbearance to know my griping would be unbearable. This fun bit of news is certainly upbearing WDW chatter for the day and I have enjoyed this thread's bearing so far.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom