What If: Disney Parks Edition HYPE! Thread!!!

Suchomimus

tldr: 70 hour work weeks which led to over 100 animator walk-outs. I know I was being melodramatic with my post yesterday, but this stuff is hitting me especially hard as a nerd culture commentator.

Yesterday's post wasn't clear as to who you were talking about. Thanks for the clarification. But something tells me that the people in charge of the scheduling won't be held accountable for their decisions; especially since they have the upcoming sequel.

TheOriginalTiki

Sitting at the theater for a double feature of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny followed by Astroid City
I know I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely adored Asteroid City. So much that it's neck and neck with Moonrise Kingdom as my favorite Wes Anderson movie. Moonrise definitely has overall stronger characters and a better story, but I admire SOOO much about what Asteroid does with its "documentary-within-a-play-within-a-movie" Russian doll structure.

The movie's interpretation of the play's story probably has THE best cinematography and production design of Wes's entire career. The only thing that might be off compared to his classics is that the character development between the ensemble is spread a little thin.

That being said I think every part of Schwartzman and Johanson's storylines including their extended families provided an excellent central heart for the movie, and people like Cranston as the narrator, Steve Carell as the off-putting hotel manager, and the shenanigans with Mia Hawk and the kids are just all super delightful in their own way. While this side plot probably has the least screentime out of anything, I absolutely died laughing every time the "dare me???" kid was on screen.

The "Masterpiece Theater" style documentary stuff though...*chef's kiss*...it just all lands SOOO well for me. Some much needed toned down and more low key cinematography complimented by the film's true emotional character beats. It's definitely not an entry level Wes Anderson film by any means but as someone who's avidly consumed his career this is pretty damn near the top of the pile for me. It's both "The Most Wes Anderson that Wes Anderson Has Ever Wes Anderson'd" (tm) and also feels like a genuinely bold push forward in some of its narrative structure.

Alright, there's my geek out moment for the day. ;) Watch @Dark PerGron hate it :p

PerGron

I know I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely adored Asteroid City. So much that it's neck and neck with Moonrise Kingdom as my favorite Wes Anderson movie. Moonrise definitely has overall stronger characters and a better story, but I admire SOOO much about what Asteroid does with its "documentary-within-a-play-within-a-movie" Russian doll structure.

The movie's interpretation of the play's story probably has THE best cinematography and production design of Wes's entire career. The only thing that might be off compared to his classics is that the character development between the ensemble is spread a little thin.

That being said I think every part of Schwartzman and Johanson's storylines including their extended families provided an excellent central heart for the movie, and people like Cranston as the narrator, Steve Carell as the off-putting hotel manager, and the shenanigans with Mia Hawk and the kids are just all super delightful in their own way. While this side plot probably has the least screentime out of anything, I absolutely died laughing every time the "dare me???" kid was on screen.

The "Masterpiece Theater" style documentary stuff though...*chef's kiss*...it just all lands SOOO well for me. Some much needed toned down and more low key cinematography complimented by the film's true emotional character beats. It's definitely not an entry level Wes Anderson film by any means but as someone who's avidly consumed his career this is pretty damn near the top of the pile for me. It's both "The Most Wes Anderson that Wes Anderson Has Ever Wes Anderson'd" (tm) and also feels like a genuinely bold push forward in some of its narrative structure.

Alright, there's my geek out moment for the day. ;) Watch @Dark PerGron hate it :p
I absolutely loved every second of it

PerGron

So since tomorrow’s the last day of June and I won’t be catching anything this month, I’m gonna share my rankings of the new releases from the month (not that anyone cares).

I still plan on catching Elemental, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I may just wait for a Disney+ release. The Flash is also on my list but I don’t wanna pay to support Ezra Miller, so that’ll be a MAX release too.

6. The Boogeyman- A long slog of a movie that had maybe 2 genuine scares and a whole bunch of dead space. Not the worst movie ever, but again, really forgettable
5. Flamin’ Hot- I know back in April I raved about Air and Tetris, and I’ve heard great things about BlackBerry, but I’m tired of this 2023 trend of corporation biopics. This one was fine but forgettable.
4. Transformers: Rise of the Beasts- It’s fine. I’ve never been a big Transformers guy in either movies or toys, but this was the best movie since that initial 2007 one, so that’s something.
3. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny- A wholly acceptable yet completely unnecessary addition. I loved seeing Harrison Ford and I thought the story was fine. It was a lot of fun but I’ll probably forget it sooner than later.
2. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse- Visually the most impressive movie I’ve ever seen in a theater. I was riding really high on it, but the whole “part 1 of 2” thing just hasn’t sat with me well. I’ll reserve further judgement for Beyond the Spider-Verse
1. Asteroid City-A genuine Wes Anderson masterpiece. Some recency bias here since I literally just saw it, but I think it tops Spider-Verse for me

AceAstro

So since tomorrow’s the last day of June and I won’t be catching anything this month, I’m gonna share my rankings of the new releases from the month (not that anyone cares).

I still plan on catching Elemental, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I may just wait for a Disney+ release. The Flash is also on my list but I don’t wanna pay to support Ezra Miller, so that’ll be a MAX release too.

6. The Boogeyman- A long slog of a movie that had maybe 2 genuine scares and a whole bunch of dead space. Not the worst movie ever, but again, really forgettable
5. Flamin’ Hot- I know back in April I raved about Air and Tetris, and I’ve heard great things about BlackBerry, but I’m tired of this 2023 trend of corporation biopics. This one was fine but forgettable.
4. Transformers: Rise of the Beasts- It’s fine. I’ve never been a big Transformers guy in either movies or toys, but this was the best movie since that initial 2007 one, so that’s something.
3. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny- A wholly acceptable yet completely unnecessary addition. I loved seeing Harrison Ford and I thought the story was fine. It was a lot of fun but I’ll probably forget it sooner than later.
2. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse- Visually the most impressive movie I’ve ever seen in a theater. I was riding really high on it, but the whole “part 1 of 2” thing just hasn’t sat with me well. I’ll reserve further judgement for Beyond the Spider-Verse
1. Asteroid City-A genuine Wes Anderson masterpiece. Some recency bias here since I literally just saw it, but I think it tops Spider-Verse for me
I see Ruby Gillman tomorrow and then Asteroid City/ No Hard Feelings Sunday so I’m sure my rankings will change relatively fast but for June my rankings would be:

6. The Flash - lol
5. Flamin’ Hot - I am obsessed with corporate biopics, including having Air and BlackBerry in my top 4 of the year so far but when your story isn’t even based on a true story it’s hard to get excited
4. Indiana Jones and The Dial Of Destiny - had it’s moments and I’d probably take it over Crystal Skull but overall it’ll be pretty forgettable
3. Transformers: Rise of the Beasts - was perfectly fine. Nothing too out there but was a solid follow up to Bumblebee
The GI Joe crossover still makes me laugh
2. Elemental - Might be the best Pixar movie I’ve seen since Inside Out. It was visually stunning, had a solid plot, etc. I hope it has legs so more people see it.
1. Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse - just blown away by this one. I went in with high expectations and was still blown away.

ThemeParkPriest

In case you haven't seen an update on Epic Universe lately:

I was somewhat excited for DCA, but I haven't been excited for a new U.S. theme park since Islands of Adventure (1999)!

Disney Dad 3000

In case you haven't seen an update on Epic Universe lately:

I was somewhat excited for DCA, but I haven't been excited for a new U.S. theme park since Islands of Adventure (1999)!

I know it's not high for many, but I'm jazzed for the How to Train Your Dragon area. Though even it's a distant 2nd to the Monsters for me, which I wish was going to have more offerings.

PerGron

It’s the end of July and I’ve seen all the new releases I plan on seeing this month, so here’s my monthly ranking. For the year I’m now up to 68 films I’ve watched this year and of every month, July was the only one without a single bad or even meh movie, they were all A-tier.

6. They Cloned Tyrone- I feel bad because this movie does not belong at the bottom of any list, but it was my least favorite movie of July that I saw. Still a phenomenal movie with an amazing performance from John Boyega. I think the sci-fi elements took me out just a bit too much, similar to Jordan Peele’s “Us.” Still a phenomenal movie and one of Netflix’s best.

5. The Haunted Mansion- Like the rest of you, I love the ride, and this movie was a ride fan’s dream. I loved the nods, I liked how the story was a little bit more mature than I was expecting, and all the ensemble brought their A-game to work. I really enjoyed this movie.

4. Oppenheimer- Probably my biggest disappointment of the month, it’s not that it’s bad at all, it was just a little too slow and just a little too Christopher Nolan for my taste. Still a phenomenal time, but I think the Barbenheimer of it all gave it more love than it otherwise would’ve gotten.

3. Mission: Impossible- Dead Reckoning Part 1- I love this franchise and while I do think it’s weaker than Rogue Nation or Fallout especially, it keeps up the trend of awesome MI movies. I’m kinda sad it bombed so bad, but they shouldn’t have released the week before they’d lose every IMAX screen to Barbenheimer.

2. Talk to Me- When I say I’m a horror fan, I mean it. I don’t get scared often by movies and when it does happen, it sticks with me (see the podcast I did about Skinamarink with @TheOriginalTiki) and when I tell you this is one of the scariest, most uneasy, most tense, and most uncomfortable movie-going experiences I’ve had, I mean it. I was squirming in my seat and even tossed around leaving the theater because of how scared I was at parts. That was probably a mix of it being 11:45 pm and being the only person in the theater, but it was a super effective and great movie. Also, A24 gets all my love for supporting the writers and actors strikes.

1. Barbie- I mean, come on, it had to be. This movie was hilarious, heartwarming, and gave me so much joy. One of my favs of the year.

Now we come to August which looks pretty dry, not too many things I’m all that excited for coming out, but if that’s the price we pay for such a great July, I’ll take it.

Diplomacy Dog

Okay, two things I have to say.

First, my elimiation from the game. I have no issue with that whatsoever because I freely admit that this might be my worst performance in a game on here yet, what with me just straight up vanishing halfway through. I could give a cheeky, in-character reason like, "I was busy looking for @Chaos Cat," but I'd rather be honest and just flat out say that my life sucked balls during this game. My job was kicking my *** for a while, my plans for a Vegas trip keep getting harasssed by constantly shifting flights (pro-tip: Frontier Airlines should only be used for last-minute fights) and, worst of all, my grandpa has been slowly dying during all of this, with emphasise on slowly. It's been painful to watch, especially for my grandma, and it's gotten to the point where, when I got the news today that he only has 48 hours left to live, I can't tell if I should saddened or relieved by the news.

So yeah, haven't been in the best headspace this game. Hope things improve by Manor of Mysteries.

Second, on a much lighter note, HHN just did a full reveal and

soNormal.png

I AM SO NORMAL ABOUT THIS LKNVANFAJBVGH I DON'T CARE IF THIS OUT-OF-CHARACTER THE HYPE IS REAL AIWSHGFHGBHNV

ThemeParkPriest

It’s the end of July and I’ve seen all the new releases I plan on seeing this month, so here’s my monthly ranking. For the year I’m now up to 68 films I’ve watched this year and of every month, July was the only one without a single bad or even meh movie, they were all A-tier.

6. They Cloned Tyrone- I feel bad because this movie does not belong at the bottom of any list, but it was my least favorite movie of July that I saw. Still a phenomenal movie with an amazing performance from John Boyega. I think the sci-fi elements took me out just a bit too much, similar to Jordan Peele’s “Us.” Still a phenomenal movie and one of Netflix’s best.

5. The Haunted Mansion- Like the rest of you, I love the ride, and this movie was a ride fan’s dream. I loved the nods, I liked how the story was a little bit more mature than I was expecting, and all the ensemble brought their A-game to work. I really enjoyed this movie.

4. Oppenheimer- Probably my biggest disappointment of the month, it’s not that it’s bad at all, it was just a little too slow and just a little too Christopher Nolan for my taste. Still a phenomenal time, but I think the Barbenheimer of it all gave it more love than it otherwise would’ve gotten.

3. Mission: Impossible- Dead Reckoning Part 1- I love this franchise and while I do think it’s weaker than Rogue Nation or Fallout especially, it keeps up the trend of awesome MI movies. I’m kinda sad it bombed so bad, but they shouldn’t have released the week before they’d lose every IMAX screen to Barbenheimer.

2. Talk to Me- When I say I’m a horror fan, I mean it. I don’t get scared often by movies and when it does happen, it sticks with me (see the podcast I did about Skinamarink with @TheOriginalTiki) and when I tell you this is one of the scariest, most uneasy, most tense, and most uncomfortable movie-going experiences I’ve had, I mean it. I was squirming in my seat and even tossed around leaving the theater because of how scared I was at parts. That was probably a mix of it being 11:45 pm and being the only person in the theater, but it was a super effective and great movie. Also, A24 gets all my love for supporting the writers and actors strikes.

1. Barbie- I mean, come on, it had to be. This movie was hilarious, heartwarming, and gave me so much joy. One of my favs of the year.

Now we come to August which looks pretty dry, not too many things I’m all that excited for coming out, but if that’s the price we pay for such a great July, I’ll take it.
I didn't see any of those, but The Sound of Freedom is a life-changing movie. Don't listen to everything they say in the mainstream media.

tcool123

Here’s tcool’s list of movies he saw in July - mainly new releases but some catch ups:
  1. Barbie - This film is perfection and is in my top favorite films of all time. It is just such a good time, with plenty of fantastic jokes, killer soundtrack, and surprisingly deep.
  2. Oppenheimer - I have to agree that Barbenheimer elevated this film, and I dont think it would have done as well without Barbie. That said I also appreciated this film as I found the stoy gripping, solid characters, and some of the scenes just stayed with me with what a testament they are to the people of the story - in particular one scene in the interview room from the wife’s perspective has stayed with me and like goes to show the character she had.
  3. Joy Ride - Phenomenal comedy, I have not laughed like that in a long while. It is a shame that it couldn’t find its audience in theaters, but with a movie this quality people will find and enjoy it on streaming.
  4. Theater Camp - Went in expecting to not really like the film, left loving the concept, characters and the overall comedy the film presented. While very niche if you were theater kid or enjoy musicals I highly recommend this film if its playing in your city.
  5. Mission Impossible: Dead Rocking Pt 1 - Decent action scenes, but this was my first film in the franchise and I honestly didn’t car enough to be invested in the story.
  6. Transformers: Age of Beasts - One of my catchup films! Big robots go boom, and it was about as good as the ride.
  7. Haunted Mansion - While it was a fun film, it just didn’t deliver for me personally. The heavy in your face product placement at times felt jarring, some of the acting felt phoned in but it could heve been their material as well or delivery of jokes, the final showdown got the biggest eye roll from me.
  8. No Hard Feelings - Another catch up film, I was just uncomfortable the whole time and it truly wasn’t as funny as they made it iut seem. Plus given Joyride being in theaters I would chose that over this any day.
  9. Asteroid City - Final catch up, I just didnt like it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom