News D23 Expo 2022

matt9112

Three year olds are never normal.

Fair…. Again I stand by my opinion that I would (if I were comcast) actively push for less requirement rides. I mentioned somewhere else I would be ok replacing the ride vehicles on cat and even the trolly thing to remove there height requirements. As well as anything similar. I would probably advocate for a new “kid land” at the studios since it’s in desperate need. I’m sorry universal playgrounds don’t count as rides and attractions as much as you want them to.

AndyS2992

I don't think 3 year olds really care about Nintendo anyways. It's not exactly a children's IP.
I see more young children in every day life walking around with Mario/Pokemon/Animal Crossing shirts/plushies/lunch boxes etc than I do with Disney merch these days.

At the airport last week I saw a little girl all dressed in pink and in typical girly girl fashion and she was carrying around a Kunckles plush toy from Sonic the Hedgehog. Did amuse me, not something you see very often. Thought it was great 👍

UNCgolf

Pokemon recently created a Youtube Channel aimed at the much younger demographic known as "Pokemon Kids TV".

Pokemon is kind of a separate thing from Nintendo in general, but Pokemon isn't in the Nintendo land, right?

Regardless, my overall point is that the actual land they're building seems directed towards 30-40+ year olds considering it leans heavily on Super Nintendo era aesthetics. Not that they aren't trying to draw everyone, but I don't remember seeing any indication that it would include Pokemon or anything outside of the Mario/Donkey Kong family. Maybe Link/Zelda?

LSLS

I don't think 3 year olds care about Nintendo anyways. It's not exactly a toddler/small children IP.
Maybe not, but my 3 year old is all about rides. He gets straight angry at many parks cause he can't ride anything. Disney he was able to ride Cosmic Rewind and almost everything else (aside from like Aerosmith). Honestly not going to spend money to go far away to parks where he gets upset having to watch others ride things and he can't get on any of them. We very much could be a unique situation, but having things for smaller kids is a great idea if Universal really wants to poach people.

UNCgolf

Maybe not, but my 3 year old is all about rides. He gets straight angry at many parks cause he can't ride anything. Disney he was able to ride Cosmic Rewind and almost everything else (aside from like Aerosmith). Honestly not going to spend money to go far away to parks where he gets upset having to watch others ride things and he can't get on any of them. We very much could be a unique situation, but having things for smaller kids is a great idea if Universal really wants to poach people.

Oh I agree Universal needs more attractions for smaller kids if they're really interested in that market -- I just think Nintendo (at least the land they're building) is a bit miscast for that.

I'm also not sure Universal really cares about that market.

LSLS

Oh I agree Universal needs more attractions for smaller kids if they're really interested in that market -- I just think Nintendo (at least the land they're building) is a bit miscast for that.

I'm also not sure Universal really cares about that market.
Eh, mine will know Mario above about any other character land Universal could throw out there, simply from watching his siblings play games, and from the toy aisles at stores.

DCLcruiser

Eh, mine will know Mario above about any other character land Universal could throw out there, simply from watching his siblings play games, and from the toy aisles at stores.
Gen X and Millennials have young kids. The parents grew up with these characters in the 80s/90s. I'd guess that is the draw for these Nintendo characters.

Patcheslee

Gen X and Millennials have young kids. The parents grew up with these characters in the 80s/90s. I'd guess that is the draw for these Nintendo characters.
In general Nintendo had me interested. But hearing Bowser Jr. Shadow Showdown required a separate purchase to do at Japan park, does have me waiting to see if Uni continues that trend.

lazyboy97o

Although I agree that the requirements seem unnecessary a normal 3 year old is tall enough for yoshi. It’s not like there alienating the base here….
It absolutely does alienate part of their base. People have kids at different times. Having these ridiculous height requirements limits the appeal for families with different ages.

matt9112

Wonder what the euro loosing parity and the recession that is now unavoidable in Europe will do for future holiday travel to the swamp. Disney probably knows this and this might explain how….little they are doing?

FigmentFan82

i really don't mind any non-announcements that were made, my big takeaway was just how unrehearsed the whole thing seemed to be.
just so odd they couldn't muster anything more professional and thought out in terms of presentation

Smiley/OCD

i really don't mind any non-announcements that were made, my big takeaway was just how unrehearsed the whole thing seemed to be.
just so odd they couldn't muster anything more professional and thought out in terms of presentation
The correct term is “bush league”…just what you, as a BoD member or stockholder want representing your multibillion dollar corporation….

Indy_UK

With Harmonious, Enchantment and Kitetails already getting the boot I’m now beginning to think that’s why they didn’t announce anything for WDW at D23.

They’re spending the money just fixing the problems but TBH if that is the case and management are listening to feedback then I would prefer that to adding mediocre stuff constantly

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I was wondering how the D23 Expo announcements for Walt Disney World this year compare to previous years. I created the spreadsheet below, showing how the expos compare. New lands / attractions are in bold.

Notes:
  • The 2009 parks panel revealed New Fantasyland, but some parts of it were completely changed. They talked about Pixie Hollow and a place where you can visit Cinderella in her country chateau (see video)
  • The 2011 panel was very light, with only updates on New Fantasyland
  • The D23 Expo in 2013 didn't have a parks panel, but 12 separate imagineering panels. I couldn't find any announcements
  • 2015 and 2017 were epic years, with lots of new lands and rides announced
  • 2019 has a long list, but not many new attractions and lots of updates
  • 2022 looks pretty sad compared to the previous 3 expos

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom