News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
Someone mentioned earlier, but the Contemporary Garden Wing opposite BLT will be the next project based on the criteria for this building.......on monorail and existing infrastructure
Perhaps the reason why it didn’t get the Incredible treatment.

spresso81

My biggest issue is how close this new tower will be to the GF complex. It used to be nice how all the hotels around Bay Lake were isolated.

Also, the Poly lobby is so crowded as it is - this will make that even more of an issue even with an additional dining option being built.

Lastly, I shutter to think of the sightline issues from the MK.

Another example of current WDC management not caring about aesthetics but only about short term gain.

Skywise

They're going for the cheap low hanging fruit here. It seems to me they could've done a "pacific" style resort over by Fort Wilderness or even the Asian themed one (yay China) with far more capacity and DVC rooms. But that would've required real risk in capital outlay (and probably why the neighboring resort next to Fort Wilderness is still halted)

pdude81

Idk.. it also very closely resembles the layout of a grand villa like those at BLT, Kidani, and Saratoga.
True but if you're going to have "more dining options", I'd hope for a QS at ground floor and a top level TS. My quick, amateur assessment looking at the artwork is that there will be 2 Grand Villas on each side for the Lagoon/TP View and the top will be for a restaurant. Just a hunch

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

I don't think this concept art is really that similar to the original concept.

Not that I'm suggesting they should be building the original concept either.
One Imagineer once told me the original was rejected in the end as not being "exotic enough". Ironically, when it opened in 1971, the current Poly was referred to more than once as the "vaguely Californian Polynesian" by critics. (They also called the inside decor of the Contemporary "Italian easy-pay provincial" which always cracked me up).

Rteetz

Idk.. it also very closely resembles the layout of a grand villa like those at BLT, Kidani, and Saratoga.
Yeah I don’t think it appears there is a restaurant at the top. Those look like grand villas and then dining at the bottom with lagoon views.

pdude81

They're going for the cheap low hanging fruit here. It seems to me they could've done a "pacific" style resort over by Fort Wilderness or even the Asian themed one (yay China) with far more capacity and DVC rooms. But that would've required real risk in capital outlay (and probably why the neighboring resort next to Fort Wilderness is still halted)
Reflections didn't have an ability to monorail OR walk, and years later with the required increase in (per point) cost, it's less interesting to people at large. Honestly I think that project was a bit of an overreaction to the intense interest for CCV. Now I am wondering if this will need a new bus depot since that is a bit of a walk. I assume they won't do it as the buses are not far from GCH, but that's starting to push the envelope.

Skibum1970

Remember - Chapek said he's not sure if Disney can fund the E-ticket in California or the (mostly) cheap Mary Poppins attraction in Epcot. But a bland tower that will surely not help capacity issues...green light.

Yes but the bland tower will result in incoming revenue where the other items cost money with difficult to assess ROI. I'm not saying that I agree with this but it does explain it.

ToTBellHop

Reflections didn't have an ability to monorail OR walk, and years later with the required increase in (per point) cost, it's less interesting to people at large. Honestly I think that project was a bit of an overreaction to the intense interest for CCV. Now I am wondering if this will need a new bus depot since that is a bit of a walk. I assume they won't do it as the buses are not far from GCH, but that's starting to push the envelope.
I expect its own porte-cochère but not bus stop. Like BLT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom