Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

3 off the top of my head Joyride, Strays, and Bottoms
Joyride and Bottoms (one of my favorites from last year btw) didn't come out in theaters in my country so I didn't count them as having a big push lol. Don't remember seeing any of the stars in talk shows or YouTube shows either, which No Hard Feeling did a few.

Strays I had completely forgot about so you did got me there, it came out 2 months after No Hard Feelings, so still almost a year ago, which is a shame cause id think there is a market for good funny movies out there.

But to go back to wish, I didn't like it very much but at least I did finished it, I don't remember finishing strange world 😆

Last edited:

erasure fan1

But to go back to wish, I didn't like it very much but at least I did finished it, I don't remember finishing strange world 😆
You've done better than l. I've tried twice so far and I think I'm about halfway through. It really just isn't well done. The songs so far reminded me of the old made for DVD sequels in quality. Like they were thrown together quickly. I know the one bright spot for people was the art style, but I wasn't a fan. The story seems weak so far but maybe it gets better. I'm guessing no based on what I've seen so far.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Disney absolutely went into this thinking it was a guaranteed hit; just look at all the shelfwarming merchandise! I tracked the promotional progress of the film over '23, and they were screening highlights of the first 35 minutes to exhibitors and on the animation festival circuit (in particular, the "This Wish" and "I'm a Star" numbers) and were getting good responses by all appearances. The Asha walkaround performers were ready to go at the theme parks well ahead of time, the Epcot entrance display for the Flower and Garden Festival this year features character topiaries, and there's still some merchandise yet to be released, i.e. a Hallmark Keepsake Ornament of Asha and Star. But already with the 1900 Park Fare example, I think they're trying to sweep this under the rug as fast they can.
The entire Fortuosity shop (or whatever the former watch shop at Disneyland is now called) is entirely filled with Wish stuff marked at 40% off. I also noticed Wish pins discounted at 40% off at pin locations, but didn't pay attention if they were filling other spots, too. But they probably were.

You've done better than l. I've tried twice so far and I think I'm about halfway through. It really just isn't well done. The songs so far reminded me of the old made for DVD sequels in quality. Like they were thrown together quickly. I know the one bright spot for people was the art style, but I wasn't a fan. The story seems weak so far but maybe it gets better. I'm guessing no based on what I've seen so far.
it does not get better. but I had fun seeing how in your face and unnecessary all the references was and thinking the whole movie what was going on on the studios that its ended this way lol.

Miss Rori

it does not get better. but I had fun seeing how in your face and unnecessary all the references was and thinking the whole movie what was going on on the studios that its ended this way lol.
The more I think about it, there had to have been major interference from non-creatives on this project for it to come out the way it did. The early story and character concepts - Asha and her family living as fugitives, both the king and queen being wicked, Star as a humanoid shapeshifter, etc. - all come off as more interesting and even logical than what's in the finished film.

As is the characters besides Magnifico (who has legit motivations for being controlling and selective in the early going - he lost everything once and doesn't want to lose it again, and faced with magic he doesn't understand and a populace that doesn't seem to appreciate him as a person) are mostly unmotivated to do what they do, are motivated by things we're only told about rather than shown, or just do things because otherwise there isn't a plot/action - and that makes them look bad when the audience tries to fill in the blanks.

1. Why didn't Sabino try to inspire people by playing music in public and instead gave the wish up to a lottery system, given that he's flawlessly doing that in the denouement so he already knew how to actually play? Was he rejected before? Or was he just lazy, or had no greater ambition in life to give up to Magnifico? (Probably the former because he would have mentioned rejection)
  2. (Credit to Mysterious Mr. Enter) Why does Asha want the apprentice job if she shows no interest in working magic herself, even trying to turn down the perfected wand at the end? (She only wanted to get her family's wishes granted, just like the Teens thought, but lied about it)
  3. Why does Amaya, knowing her husband's ways all these years and apparently not questioning him, and able to influence him (as with convincing him not to use the Forbidden Book immediately) into positive actions when he was upset, give up on him so quickly when he threatens her (and only then) when she's knows he's acting under the malign influence of the Book's powers and may not be completely himself? (She must have married him for power and he is no longer useful to her, especially given how quickly she gives up on saving him because of what an evil book claims. That's why she is so smug when she sends him to the dungeon.)
  4. Why doesn't Asha try to free all the wishes right away as soon as Star arrives, rather than just trying to retrieve her family's? (It would be a much shorter movie if she were to act so intelligently, and there'd be no chance for Magnifico to go full-supervillain among other things. Besides, she doesn't really care for all of Rosas, just her family because they are her relatives.)
  5. Why does Star, despite being powerful enough to grant speech and human-level intelligence to animals and create magic wands and such, so powerful that capturing it makes Magnifico close to all-powerful, not do more to influence events? Why doesn't it use its magic to just open the shutters at the end, for instance? (Again, it would be a much shorter movie.)
  6. What is Valentino even around for? Asha has many human friends to talk to and travel with her, even before Star arrives, and he does nothing useful that they could not have done. (But they needed a talking animal because "all" Disney films feature talking animals and they couldn't resist more merchandisable characters.)
And so on, and so on. In earlier development (all the way up through animatics!) a lot just seems to make more sense: Magnifico feeds on the wishes to gain power, that's why he takes them under false pretenses. Asha is tired of everyone living in exile unable to go out and live their dreams, and wants adventure, and what better way to take care of those problems and those she loves than by standing up to Magnifico? Amaya is wicked, so she has no need to question what her husband does. And so on, and so on.

Advisable Joseph

I have not seen a satisfying postmortem analysis on Wish yet. Its performance at the box office was just - weird. Really weird. Yes, I know there were quibbles with the plot. But can anyone say with a straight face that Trolls 3 and Migration had stronger openings because they had airtight plots that you just couldn’t argue with? Something bigger than a few plot inconsistencies went wrong with Wish, although I’m not sure what it was.
Be careful about the analysis given to you:

Here’s a recent one:

It's really from Deadline, and they apparently use the box office to estimate home video/streaming, as I discussed here.

Comparing Wish's results to Lightyear's (you will have to search for Lightyear), it looks like Deadline is relying on domestic BO, which would have ensured an apparent epic loss as of this January, no matter how well Wish did after leaving the theaters.

DisneyHead123

Comparing Wish's results to Lightyear's (you will have to search for Lightyear), it looks like Deadline is relying on domestic BO, which would have ensured an apparent epic loss as of this January, no matter how well Wish did after leaving the theaters.
I’m open to the idea that Wish could become a post-theater success, domestically, in the way that Encanto did. It does seem that Disney doesn’t have a lot of confidence in this however, based on Wish being pulled from 1900 Park Fare and merchandise being discounted already. Not sure if they know something we don’t or if it was just corporate panic.

Miss Rori

I’m open to the idea that Wish could become a post-theater success, domestically, in the way that Encanto did. It does seem that Disney doesn’t have a lot of confidence in this however, based on Wish being pulled from 1900 Park Fare and merchandise being discounted already. Not sure if they know something we don’t or if it was just corporate panic.
This doesn't seem to be turning into the next Encanto on streaming, though. It's been available at Disney+ for over a month now (and on other formats even longer) and there still hasn't been a "We Don't Talk About Bruno"-style viral hit among the songs or a big uptick in fan art, etc. It seems to be doing okay in terms of viewership, but that's mostly because there haven't been a lot of other new family movies turning up on streamers and certainly not on D+. It's just kind of "there".

Advisable Joseph

It can be fun, but I think people on the Internet place far too much stock in merchandise, especially anecdotal evidence of sales. It's part of the reason people think Zootopia is forgotten and are surprised when they hear about Zootopia theme park attractions.

Sir_Cliff

It can be fun, but I think people on the Internet place far too much stock in merchandise, especially anecdotal evidence of sales. It's part of the reason people think Zootopia is forgotten and are surprised when they hear about Zootopia theme park attractions.
Hmm, I think Zootopia is a very different case. No-one can deny that it was a huge hit at the box office and it then did well on streaming once Disney+ appeared. If anything, it is weird that it's taken Disney so long to capitalise on the film's obvious popularity.

I would put such commentary on Zootopia more in the same category of those who claim Encanto and, to a lesser extent, Moana aren't worthy of a greater presence at the parks for not having proven themselves 'classics' when, on all available metrics, they are big hits. Regardless of whether someone personally likes the film and whether or not it eventually does find one, Wish has yet to find a big audience based on all the available metrics.

Miss Rori

I would put such commentary on Zootopia more in the same category of those who claim Encanto and, to a lesser extent, Moana aren't worthy of a greater presence at the parks for not having proven themselves 'classics' when, on all available metrics, they are big hits. Regardless of whether someone personally likes the film and whether or not it eventually does find one, Wish has yet to find a big audience based on all the available metrics.
Yeah, as I said, I'm not seeing Wish cosplayers on the convention scene (Zootopia got those quickly, if not to the extent of the other two films). There's fan art and fanfiction but a lot of it, even the bulk of it, seems to be playing with the unused concepts like Evil Amaya and Starboy, or at least giving Magnifico a redemption arc, rather than going with what's up on the screen. Nobody's out to have Wish-themed birthday cakes or parties, and it's telling the only dialogue/lyrics anybody seems to know are "I let you live here for free and I don't even charge you rent" and "Watch out world, here I are".

DisneyHead123

I think there just aren’t a lot of metrics to use, regarding how Disney perceives the success of films. And Zootopia is a bit different because it doesn’t tap into their sizable Princessy Stuff lines that I assume sell quite well. Dolls, dresses, lip gloss, etc.

Out of curiosity I looked at the Disney Store website. (Side note, looks like they’re have a pretty big sale if anyone waits for discounts on Disney merchandise.) Under dolls, Asha only has 2 offerings total, all are discounted, all are buried waaaay down on the page. As opposed to the classic heroines, who have multiple dolls, many are not discounted, remain at the top of the listings, etc. It just feels like Disney has very much moved on from this film already, instead of waiting to see how streaming played out.

BrianLo

I have not seen a satisfying postmortem analysis on Wish yet. Its performance at the box office was just - weird. Really weird. Yes, I know there were quibbles with the plot. But can anyone say with a straight face that Trolls 3 and Migration had stronger openings because they had airtight plots that you just couldn’t argue with? Something bigger than a few plot inconsistencies went wrong with Wish, although I’m not sure what it was.

I still ostensibly think the D+ Chapek era release strategy has caused theatrical damage. We talk about audiences being daft, but with direct to consumer, people should have a relatively good understanding of what animated products are ‘Disney’. Certainly their core audience that subscribes to their service are going to have dominated their past theatrical attendees disproportionately.

The biggest forthcoming test is can something more guaranteed actually hit. Or, if Moana 2 or Inside Out 2 are both well received by audiences and critics, but are largely felt to have underperformed… then there is something intrinsically broken with Disney’s audience willingness to wait for the movie on streaming. Is the safety net of families who would always see the annual Disney movie, because it’s Disney, no longer showing up?

BrianLo

This doesn't seem to be turning into the next Encanto on streaming, though. It's been available at Disney+ for over a month now (and on other formats even longer) and there still hasn't been a "We Don't Talk About Bruno"-style viral hit among the songs or a big uptick in fan art, etc. It seems to be doing okay in terms of viewership, but that's mostly because there haven't been a lot of other new family movies turning up on streamers and certainly not on D+. It's just kind of "there".

Wish has officially not caught its break. The streaming numbers are too meagre. Not a complete Strange World bomb, but this one isn’t getting a company re-write or a legit cult comeback.

Especially since she isn’t joining the princess line. Which is fine, the company has a far deeper well of recent animated successes than they are given credit for, that the company will lean into.

BrianLo

I don't know. Wish might be worse because of what it represented. The expectations on it were much higher because of the Disney 100th. Strange world, while bad, did not have the same expectations in my opinion.

That's fair from an expectancy perspective. But almost 3.5x more people watched Wish over Strange World. Both at the Box office and I suspect on inevitably streaming. We are comparing small numbers to very small numbers of course.

Perhaps we'd call it more 'disappointing' for what should have been a more sure thing. I certainly had way higher expectancy for Wish and already had bad preconceived notions for Strange World. But they are still on quite different levels in terms of the inability to land with audiences. Strange World is a catalogue film that gets totally forgotten about in entirety by the general public because quite literally no one saw it.

In terms of all adjusted film loses of all time, Strange World is number 8 on the list and the first animated entrant. It beats out Mars Needs Mom at number 10.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom