Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Rich Brownn

Okay! Thank you, that’s what I thought but couldn’t remember. This seems like such a poor choice for crowd control/flow but I understand it from a thematic standpoint
Actually, it seems like a good idea. Instead of people cramming into a walkway between lands, there's a big, expansive, lush park for them to walk through.

Sir_Cliff

Actually, it seems like a good idea. Instead of people cramming into a walkway between lands, there's a big, expansive, lush park for them to walk through.
Really? That's like saying crowd flow would be better at MK if they closed off the paths between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland, Fantasyland and Frontierland, etc. and instead expanded the hub so everyone had to retrace their steps back to what would now be a big, expansive, lush park in order to walk between lands rather than some using the smaller walkways to move between lands. Maybe it will work, but it looks like they're creating choke points by funnelling people in and out of the lands through these portals.

Andrew25

Each land has a separate entrance/exit path.

Diagon Alley has worked fine for years now, and Epic's portals seem far larger than DA's entry points. I don't think people understand just how massive the hub is at Epic. It's not like throwing people into the MK hub, it's like throwing people into the lagoon at IOA but with concrete lol

Rich Brownn

Really? That's like saying crowd flow would be better at MK if they closed off the paths between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland, Fantasyland and Frontierland, etc. and instead expanded the hub so everyone had to retrace their steps back to what would now be a big, expansive, lush park in order to walk between lands rather than some using the smaller walkways to move between lands. Maybe it will work, but it looks like they're creating choke points by funnelling people in and out of the lands through these portals.
They'd only have to tear down the castle, remove some of the Main Street buildings, and run the hub from the train station to the back of Fantasyland, add a couple of hundred trees, wide walkways and fountains and it might come close to Celestial Park. Otherwise there's no comparison

Sir_Cliff

They'd only have to tear down the castle, remove some of the Main Street buildings, and run the hub from the train station to the back of Fantasyland, add a couple of hundred trees, wide walkways and fountains and it might come close to Celestial Park. Otherwise there's no comparison
Well, would doing that and blocking off the paths between the lands improve guest flow?

Again, we'll see how it works in practice. On paper, though, it seems like a valiant effort at good theming but one that might not be great for park ops.

Andrew25

For some perspective on walking distance/lengths...

From the MK Train Tunnel (once your past it, not before) it is 987 feet to the front of Cinderella Castle.
From the main Epic Universe Portal to the lush gardens in front of the Helios Hotel - 1,322 feet.

The lagoon at the center of Epic's hub is ~230 ft. in diameter (perfect circle), same as the "inner circle" of MK's hub (essentially everything in-between the planters with the interactive Magic Band features).

The bulk of Main Street, Emporium to Casey's for example, is 330 ft, that's less than the walking distance between the entry Epic portal, to any of the first two portals (Nintendo or Dragons).

Forgot to mention, I'm not a fan of not connecting the individual lands to each other, but not entirely worried just yet that the Hub will be a congested mess.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Forgot to mention, I'm not a fan of not connecting the individual lands to each other, but not entirely worried just yet that the Hub will be a congested mess.
Neither am I when Universal brings back their COVID-era reservation system for EU's first year (at least).

Andrew25

Neither am I when Universal brings back their COVID-era reservation system for EU's first year (at least).
I'm sure they might use a (day of) reservation system on when to access some of the lands (Primarily SNW & MoM) on the busiest of days. Supposedly Epic will only sell 1-day tickets on the first few weeks of operations to reduce stress during the first few days (I think it's a terrible idea as SWGE at Disneyland proved APs/locals wouldn't buy into it. Just have a reservation system for APs).

But back to the park's layout, I wouldn't worry too much.

Andrew25

Possibly the biggest of the 5 announcements, that should draw large audiences/eyes.

Wonder if Disney announces new monorail carpets?

Rich Brownn

Well, would doing that and blocking off the paths between the lands improve guest flow?

Again, we'll see how it works in practice. On paper, though, it seems like a valiant effort at good theming but one that might not be great for park ops.
Ironically Disneyland had dead ends for years and no one seemed to notice. The whole idea is when you walk into that land, that land and only that land is visible. No castle looming over Frontierland. As several people pointed out DA is basically a portal and it works fine.

Andrew25

Ironically Disneyland had dead ends for years and no one seemed to notice. The whole idea is when you walk into that land, that land and only that land is visible. No castle looming over Frontierland. As several people pointed out DA is basically a portal and it works fine.
Even within parks that feature multiple access points you have congestion. I don't think it'll be as bad as people think.

Isn't May 2 for SNW?
Yes, but don't quote me on that since Universal loves to botch announcements lol

ThemeParkTraveller

I was expecting Super Nintendo or Wizarding World to be my favorite land at Epic Universe before construction started, but I'm absolutely loving the Dark Universe aesthetics. The description of its E-ticket as Forbidden Journey but all physical sets actually has me more hyped than the Rise of the Resistance-equivalent Ministry attraction. If/when Dark Universe gets the rumored Pirates of the Caribbean-style boat ride based on Creature from the Black Lagoon, it will easily be my favorite land in Orlando.

ToTBellHop

Mine Cart Madness has 3 visible queues, so while the park may not open with Express, it’s being designed for it (and presumably single riders in this case).

I wonder which rides require lockers.

Surprisingly low height requirements here. They seem to be finally targeting families with younger kids. Nothing over 48” (and a coaster at 40” and another at 36”; presumably the Dark Universe coaster will have a low requirement, too).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom