Rivers of Light - Time for a reevaluation?

TTA94

Unfortunately, RoL as a whole didn’t do enough in person to maintain interest and engagement; however, a plussed version with fire and drones could be phenomenal.

It would be phenomenal if the new show has a similar soundtrack, but we all know that’s extremely unlikely.

cjkeating

Original Poster
OMG. I never saw the show. That is stunning.

Not sure how visible the movements and expressions of the performers would be from a distance, but they are class.
Glad you watched the show and enjoyed it. As I said in my original post it really connected to me.

The performers were visible, you were much closer to them than you are to the actors in Fantasmic for a sense of scale. Also as it was theatrical their movements were very large 'acting to the back of the room' which is why they may seem exaggerated in the close ups during the video.

TTA94

For those that may know, was the RoL pre show music that played when the Lotus came out commercially available somewhere?

The Empress Lilly

Perhaps I don't remember well, but I thought the music was an abomination. I think there were only 3 words to the lyrics. We Are One. Over and over and oveer and over and over and over....
Same. I never took to the music the way I did to RoE, which is divine. I tried to like the RoL soundtrack, but it felt flat and emotionless to me, except in some atmospheric parts

cjkeating

Original Poster
Perhaps I don't remember well, but I thought the music was an abomination. I think there were only 3 words to the lyrics. We Are One. Over and over and oveer and over and over and over....
Here are the lyrics for reference... needless to say I remain a fan of this song. :)

It's our rite, it's our call
Every creature great and small
If we stand alone
We stand to lose forever

Raise your hands to the sky
On this journey you and I
We'll grow stronger than we know
If we stand together

Feel the rain
Feel the wind
Touch the Earth
And take it in

Touch the sea
Feel the light
Live the fullness of this life
Sand and stone
Flesh and bone
We are one

We are one, with the oceans
Free to run, through the sunlight
Everyone, pure as water
Flowing in the wilderness

We are one, in elation
Sound the drum, a celebration
Touch the Earth
Feel the sun
We are one

Touch the Earth
Feel the sun
We are one

(Reprise)

Everyone, pure as water

We are one, in elation
Touch the Earth
Feel the sun
We are one

Raise your heart
To the sun
We are one

(Finale)

It's our rite, it's our choice
We are masters of our voice
We are stronger than we know together

Life is ours
Life is real
Life is everything we feel (Everything we feel)
Raise your hearts (Raise your hearts)
To the sun
We are one!

To the sun
We are one!

aladdin2007

Here are the lyrics for reference... needless to say I remain a fan of this song. :)

It's our rite, it's our call
Every creature great and small
If we stand alone
We stand to lose forever

Raise your hands to the sky
On this journey you and I
We'll grow stronger than we know
If we stand together

Feel the rain
Feel the wind
Touch the Earth
And take it in

Touch the sea
Feel the light
Live the fullness of this life
Sand and stone
Flesh and bone
We are one

Everyone, pure as water

We are one, in elation
Touch the Earth
Feel the sun
We are one

Touch the Earth
Feel the sun
We are one

(Reprise)

Everyone, pure as water

We are one, in elation
Touch the Earth
Feel the sun
We are one

Raise your heart
To the sun
We are one

(Finale)

It's our rite, it's our choice
We are masters of our voice
We are stronger than we know together

Life is ours
Life is real
Life is everything we feel (Everything we feel)
To the sun
We are one!

To the sun
We are one!
quite possibly one of the best produced Disney theme songs since the 25th anniversary, in its own way. A shame its not being implemented somewhere somehow.

tissandtully

Well considering that early in their history they did in fact do fireworks when the parking lot. They only did it once and the guest feedback wasn't great. Imagine that.

They did try to do something different than the shows at DHS Epcot and Magic Kingdom, we're talking about that right now. And clearly it failed. And what would it take to bring it back?

My answer is fireworks.

You support the no fireworks choice and I get that. And credit to you , you have a holistic reason. You truly believe it would be disruptive to the animals.

I don't believe it would be destructive to the animals. I believe there are too many other places that do this without harm to their animals. I'm not proposing happily ever after in animal Kingdom Park. But a fantasmic! level fireworks finale in rivers of lights finale, would be a nice punch to the show. Just ground-based flares. A couple pyro effects. Things the animals aren't really going to see nor hear no more than the noise and light that rivers of light was already producing. It needed a stronger finale. And the whole they can't do fireworks because of the animals, that's truly overstated.

And I do understand on that last point we disagree.
I doubt any AZA accredited facilities are doing nightly fireworks lol

MatheusPG

I doubt any AZA accredited facilities are doing nightly fireworks lol
Since Busch Gardens is up to all AZA standards, I believe that this is more of an excuse that Disney uses, than something that worries them. There are many ways that you can have a good nighttime show at AK, with fireworks, drones, or a new ROL.

UNCgolf

Since Busch Gardens is up to all AZA standards, I believe that this is more of an excuse that Disney uses, than something that worries them. There are many ways that you can have a good nighttime show at AK, with fireworks, drones, or a new ROL.

I'm honestly surprised that Busch Gardens is AZA accredited with fireworks (unless all the animals go into soundproof holding areas or something) -- it's definitely not an excuse. We know that fireworks cause significant distress to animals. It actually makes me wonder if there's some politics/money involved in their AZA accreditation.

Putting that aside, though, I think no fireworks at DAK is an opportunity rather than a hindrance. The other parks have fireworks shows; it would be nice to have one park do something different. While I personally thought the original Rivers of Light was fantastic, they could also do something with drones and lasers.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom