Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery Announce Disney+, Hulu and Max Bundle

flynnibus

Premium Member
And the bundling of major streaming services starts (continues). This is something that many of us have predicted happening.

The new model is the old model refreshed.
Cable 2.0

It was inevitable as services without critical mass of their own struggle in the wilderness of seeking high volume, consistent subscriptions. Boutique is a tough road.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Most of the top streamed shows are repeats of 10+ year old TV series.
Except it's not

Like netflix right now...
Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 7.01.35 PM.png

or on Amazon Prime...

Hulu is a service created to stream TV content... of course it's going to be heavily biased to past TV shows.. It's what it was made for. And D+ isn't creating D+ originals in high volume... plus they basically paused their expansion of the content pipeline... but yet their shows when launched are mostly popular.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think this is the inevitable evolution that most content creators will come to realize they don't want to be in the DTC/distribution space... they'd rather have someone pay for their content as a wholesale product.

The rush to every niche being their own service was dumb - it was never sustainable when it becomes your ONLY distribution channel. The smaller guys will all try to band together to reach critical mass.. or they will back out of DTC and sell themselves as a brand on someone else's platform. I see WB doing more and more of that later... the fact they are struggling with Discovery+ even says they are not making the maths work.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Cable 2.0

It was inevitable as services without critical mass of their own struggle in the wilderness of seeking high volume, consistent subscriptions. Boutique is a tough road.

Yep, something that have been discussed by some of us in the D+ thread for years now.
But you always choose not to discuss one part…

No barrier to exit like cable.

It’s a swipe if someone just doesn’t want to pay you. Which will increase just as cord cutting did over time.

The way to combat that is not with increasing fees and ads after bundling…it’s with billions upon billions of hot programming.

This is the “flaw” portion of the second grade level Iger theory.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except it's not

Like netflix right now...
View attachment 785563

or on Amazon Prime...

Hulu is a service created to stream TV content... of course it's going to be heavily biased to past TV shows.. It's what it was made for. And D+ isn't creating D+ originals in high volume... plus they basically paused their expansion of the content pipeline... but yet their shows when launched are mostly popular.
You just fingered the problem.

Not enough content. The Netflix list is damning

flynnibus

Premium Member

It’s a swipe if someone just doesn’t want to pay you. Which will increase just as cord cutting did over time.
No, you are just assuming there will be a cheaper alternative that isn't too fugly nearby

That worked for cord cutting because it was a chasam and pivot point for the industry... once everyone is transitioned and operating in the same side of the inflection point they all are operating in the same universe with similar issues.

The barrier to create an alternative is much much higher now that the content providers are all in the game themselves.

You're not going to find a cut rate offer running the same content as the D+ or Netflex you want to run away from.

Cable held you hostage because of physical monopolies. Cable 2.0 will hold you hostage by content exclusivity.

TrainsOfDisney

This is a good point. I had Disney+ for the introductory D23 price for 3 years and then I paid for 1 more year. I like it. Access to virtually the entire Disney catalog was awesome and the entire Muppet Show was something I’ve wanted for years!

But there is only so much time in a year to consume content… I found myself watching Disney+ less and less so I took a break. With a new years promo I bought masterclass this year and I’m loving it.

Eventually I’m sure I’ll get Disney+ again, but I have more content then I need right now with audible, masterclass and YouTube. If I get bored I can sign up for a free trial of Apple or Hulu, etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, you are just assuming there will be a cheaper alternative that isn't too fugly nearby

That worked for cord cutting because it was a chasam and pivot point for the industry... once everyone is transitioned and operating in the same side of the inflection point they all are operating in the same universe with similar issues.

The barrier to create an alternative is much much higher now that the content providers are all in the game themselves.

You're not going to find a cut rate offer running the same content as the D+ or Netflex you want to run away from.

Cable held you hostage because of physical monopolies. Cable 2.0 will hold you hostage by content exclusivity.

People will not pay a ransom to multiple bundles and shell out cable tv rates.

They won’t.

The flaw in every media company - one in particular - is to assume that their stuff is just “part of life”

That was cable. It was the only thing

The younger generations gravitate toward more social media platforms/free content.

Sitcoms and National Geographic specials have a very defined appeal.

There are exactly 2 generations left that have any sense of “normalcy” for high sub fees.
One is dying off fast…and the X don’t need much of a reason to get angry on any given day as is.

Remember…the people who have been telling you that stream is gonna make tons did so because they had no other options. And they’ll all be gone soon. Hopefully fired.

But the math still doesn’t work. Not when content is where you “save costs”

It would help if their franchise content wasn’t crap either. They’re all guilty of that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is a good point. I had Disney+ for the introductory D23 price for 3 years and then I paid for 1 more year. I like it. Access to virtually the entire Disney catalog was awesome and the entire Muppet Show was something I’ve wanted for years!

But there is only so much time in a year to consume content… I found myself watching Disney+ less and less so I took a break. With a new years promo I bought masterclass this year and I’m loving it.

Eventually I’m sure I’ll get Disney+ again, but I have more content then I need right now with audible, masterclass and YouTube. If I get bored I can sign up for a free trial of Apple or Hulu, etc.
What’s constantly glossed about streaming is there is no territory monopoly or physical barrier to cancel. In an instant.

That was NEVER cable or satellite. It was designed to be a hassle.

Streams will have to make themselves “cant miss”
Theyll fail

TrainsOfDisney

Streams will have to make themselves “cant miss”
Theyll fail
They were can’t miss until they raised prices…. I had no immediate interest in Disney+ but I was at the D23 convention and that 3-year rate was a steal that anyone would have to be stupid to say no to.

But once they raised the rates I stayed for 1 year, and when they raised them again I bailed.

I’m sure I’ll be back, but probably only for 1 year at a time, that’s not a long range plan.

I know I’m not the only one that alternates between platforms.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Way to go to the most recent punchline to the joke…45 years ago.

Denials are few and far between.

Besides…you weren’t even alive for ma bell
Funny, but my still used PacBell land line from the 70s says different. I'll shock you even more, I even had a rotary phone on that line at one time..... :eek:🤯

As for the denials, just go back and look at the Simon & Schuster sale by Paramount to Penguin Random House from just 2 years ago. The mega mergers are the ones that are few and far between these days.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I've fully discuss it, you just don't like or accept what is being discussed.

The way to combat that is not with increasing fees and ads after bundling…it’s with billions upon billions of hot programming.

This is the “flaw” portion of the second grade level Iger theory.
As discussed before the major issue with cable was the fact there were many channels that people didn't want that they were required to have. Had cable allowed more "al a carte" options there wouldn't have been as much cord cutting. With streaming bundles you'll be able to get the streamers that have the content you want without having to pay for the streamers that don't have the content you don't want. Don't want Paramount+ because you don't like what they have like Trek then don't get it or a streaming bundle that has it. Don't want Peacock because they have nothing, same thing. Only want D+/Hulu with Max so you can get SW/MCU/The Bear and Dragons, you got it.

And yeah there will continue to be churn, there is no avoiding it. Many thought that the major cell providers would die off once number portability opened up, but that didn't happen in fact the opposite happened. Its a funny thing, once more choice is offered consumers tend to fall back to what they know. D+/Hulu and Netflix don't have the lowest churn rates for no reason.

flynnibus

Premium Member
People will not pay a ransom to multiple bundles and shell out cable tv rates.

They won’t.

The flaw in every media company - one in particular - is to assume that their stuff is just “part of life”

That was cable. It was the only thing

The younger generations gravitate toward more social media platforms/free content.

Sitcoms and National Geographic specials have a very defined appeal.

There are exactly 2 generations left that have any sense of “normalcy” for high sub fees.
One is dying off fast…and the X don’t need much of a reason to get angry on any given day as is.

People will still pay - just like they pay for their spotify, or apple music, or whatever, even if they are 25 and not 55. It's not that young people won't spend money.

Scripted television isn't dying in the near term.

The whole 'its easy to quit' angle is only that way because the companies allow it - it's not some rule of nature for streaming. Expect them to make that more difficult by giving people more incentives to buy 12m contracts rather than relying solely on month to month.

The 'cable vs streaming' talking points are not the same for a 'all streaming post-cord cutting era'. Stop using the old days to describe what will happen in a completely different situation.

TrainsOfDisney

The whole 'its easy to quit' angle is only that way because the companies allow it - it's not some rule of nature for streaming. Expect them to make that more difficult by giving people more incentives to buy 12m contracts rather than relying solely on month to month.
It’s not a rule but it’s what the customers now expect. They all set them selves up with the low prices and now this is only going to get more messy. Will be interesting what the pricing is.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It’s not a rule but it’s what the customers now expect. They all set them selves up with the low prices and now this is only going to get more messy. Will be interesting what the pricing is.

Customers expect 'no ads' or less ads... yet look at any website out there or how youtube, or facebook or whatever looks like... ads out the wazzoo.

Are people leaving youtube? no... because they don't have a good alternative.

And in the case of original content... the control on availability is even stronger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom