News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Dan Deesnee

Awesome, more screens! I can't wait to pay 10k for my family to watch Moana on a movie screen on the new Moana "ride"! Sure as heck beats animatronics and a real environment.

- end sarcasm

Now if it's at least as good as Shanghai Pirates I will take back everything I said. But come on, we know it won't because it would be far too expensive under the current regime.

UNCgolf

I guess the overly negative reaction to a permit and concept art has my defense game up.

Maybe we should give it a chance to see what it is, I don’t know?

I don't think anyone has assumed this is definitely what's being built, although it was an insider that posted it and specifically connected it to Moana.

If it is what's built, it feels like a bad fit for the IP.

DCLcruiser

Guys, DisneyQuest had the Moana ride ages ago.

paddling-in-the-virtual.jpg

SpectreJordan

Well that's what I thought at first -- that it could potentially be on a track -- but the additional drawings in the article look like something tethered directly to the floor.

I'm not a fan of the giant projection dome regardless, because I find them far less immersive than physical sets/effects -- I think Forbidden Journey is mediocre at best with the heavy reliance on the projection dome dragging down the rest of the ride (which is much better), although I know I'm in a small minority there -- but it would certainly be better if it's only a portion of the attraction instead of the entire thing.
I think the main problem with Forbidden Journey now is the quality of the screens. I don't get sick on rides easily, but the last time I rode it the screen scenes made me nauseous.

UNCgolf

I think the main problem with Forbidden Journey now is the quality of the screens. I don't get sick on rides easily, but the last time I rode it the screen scenes made me nauseous.

I've been on it twice -- the first time I was fine, but I found all the screen-based flying sections pretty boring and it was still really uncomfortable to ride because it jerks you all over the place. I didn't love it at all.

The second time it made me incredibly sick; I had to just sit down for like 45 minutes afterwards and still felt kinda bad for the next hour after that. I doubt I'll ever ride it again, because I didn't think it was good enough the first time to be worth the risk of getting sick.

SpectreJordan

I have already said this, but there should be an Encanto dark ride for DAK that would be about finding Antonio's animals in the casita for a South America land at the park.
A South America section is a no brainer; there's so many amazing animals there & the Amazon rainforest is one of the most important ecological areas in the work. They can add Encanto as a main IP draw, maybe a smaller ride for Emperor's New Groove & then hopefully an original ride (something involving the Amazon river would make sense).
I've been on it twice -- the first time I was fine, but I found all the screen-based flying sections pretty boring and it was still really uncomfortable to ride because it jerks you all over the place. I didn't love it at all.

The second time it made me incredibly sick; I had to just sit down for like 45 minutes afterwards and still felt kinda bad for the next hour after that. I doubt I'll ever ride it again, because I didn't think it was good enough the first time to be worth the risk of getting sick.
It's a shame because the physical sets on that ride are great.

RSoxNo1

Yeah, but Splash Mountain is basically just the one big drop and that's it. This sounds like it would be more intense throughout the whole ride plus potentially have the big drop at the end (although with this ride system I don't know if a flume drop would be feasible).

That's just speculation without more details, though.
Have you been on Splash Mountain?

Splash Mountain is an 11-12 minute boat ride with multiple drops including one large one at the end. A standard shoot the chutes ride is one drop and that's it. What are you talking about?

UNCgolf

Have you been on Splash Mountain?

Splash Mountain is an 11-12 minute boat ride with multiple drops including one large one at the end. A standard shoot the chutes ride is one drop and that's it. What are you talking about?

You missed the context for that post.

Splash is fantastic; it's one of the best rides Disney has ever built. From a thrill standpoint, though, it's basically one big drop, and that's what we were discussing. The other drops are pretty tame and it's mainly a phenomenal dark ride for the vast majority of the attraction.

This patent is apparently for a more intense attraction than Splash Mountain, which would be a strange choice for the Moana IP.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom