Zootopia at Shanghai Disneyland

Haymarket

Original Poster
It's really coming along!

The skyline is much more extensive than I expected.

zootopia SSG SD.jpeg

Source

Maybe it'll open this year. I wouldn't be surprised. It's the year of the rabbit, and they replaced Thumper with Judy Hopps in the mosaics in the Garden of the Twelve Friends.

w768.jpeg

Source

Last edited:

Haymarket

Original Poster
I'm wondering what'll go in the space next to Zootopia. More Zootopia, Marvel, Pandora?

Zootopia is around 4.9 acres, and the space next to it is around 4.2 acres. I measured them excluding part of the construction staging area in between them, as I don't know if it'll be included in Zootopia or the other plot.

For comparison, the new Frozen land at Hong Kong Disneyland is about 4.7 acres.

location of Zootopia 1.jpeg

zootopia acres.jpeg
next to zootopia acres.jpeg

Last edited:

Haymarket

Original Poster
Looks like the ride may be some kind of police chase through Zootopia at night.

I hope they start building the third hotel soon. I'd make a whole thing of seeing the new land, staying at the new hotel, then going down to Hong Kong to see the new Frozen land.

20230203_131336.jpg

celluloid

Looks like the ride may be some kind of police chase through Zootopia at night.

I hope they start building the third hotel soon. I'd make a whole thing of seeing the new land, staying at the new hotel, then going down to Hong Kong to see the new Frozen land.

View attachment 696330

Must be the new version of an EMV vehicle or a ride that will be akin to Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway with some physical characters.

DisneySA

Zootopia is having a takeover at SHDL just the last month alone.

With close to about 100 mins just to enter the themed area and another hour would to get on the ride.

Here is a guide on how to run in and the strategy to visit

Tip: Go in first thing in the morning and skip everything else.

But if you are not unable to get into the themed area, there are Zootopia infused parades and events that are across the park like a mesmerising light show and parades that happen throughout the day

Just spend a full day at SHDL and you are sure to have "Try Everything" stuck in your head on a loop.

sedati

A great new video that really focuses on the land itself with a ton of gorgeous details I'd not seen elsewhere:

Please bring this to WDW. Where- World Showcase. Why- though fantastical and not quite fitting in with the park's mission statement of food and booze, Zootopia does manage to convey both the challenges and blessings of diverse co-existence better than the park has ever done before. ;)

Mark_E

From Monday 25th March.
Arrived to the park entrance queue around 7:50. In the park by 8:30 and went straight to Zootopia. Waited approx 20 mins to enter the land. It’s all very temporary with metal barriers, and big holding tent. Hopefully they can do away with it soon because it doesn’t look great.

The land is relatively small but visually impressive, and even more at night. Once you can have people freely flowing from both entrances and exits I think it will work better.

Queue for the main ride was posted at 50 mins but we were on the ride in 20. The queue is big but the main holdups seemed to be people waiting for pictures. I managed an additional 4 rides utilising single rider queue and was on within a few minutes each time. With 5 in a row it is perfect for single riders. With 40 people being loaded at a time and a dispatch around every minute, that’s around 2400 an hour capacity.

The ride itself is great fun. In terms of comparison, it’s the same ride system/vehicles as Rise/MMRR but the use of screens and movement more akin to Ratatouille. The initial part with Judy/Nick in the car is pretty cool. The two big screen parts are fine, but there’s definitely an over-reliance on them throughout the attraction. The “naturalist” part with the nude Elephant and Hippo was a bit of a “what on earth” moment. The part where you take the cable car is fun, I thought we may be about to have a “drop” like rise but you don‘t. The most impressive part of the ride, by far, is the Gazelle animatronic. My jaw dropped, the way it moves is incredible.

Should it come to WDW? Maybe, I don’t know. Having now been, I don’t think it belongs in Studios (too similar to the other two trackless rides). Animal Kingdom it could work in theory if it was well separated, but actually I didn’t find it out of place in the castle park, so it could also work at Magic Kingdom.

As for the rest of the park, I finally did Soaring Over the Horizon so that’s all 4 parks which have it I’ve done it in now. Queue was posted at 75 but only waited 50. As with all queues in Shanghai it moved really fast, there are so few people using premier access that you don’t even notice it. It wasn’t quite as busy as my trip last May and a lot cooler which made it a bit nicer for sure!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom