Zootopia at Animal Kingdom?

Kman101

You’ve never heard about Paris being in jeopardy? I’m pretty sure that’s the only thing Paris has ever been in, outside of the last few years.

Well I was meaning recently, but I see you're point and I should have phrased it better, lol.

I'm well aware of the drought of Paris. But to be fair, pathetic Walt Disney Studios has had SOME investment (most of it because it was desperately needed). Crush's Coaster, Ratatouille, Toy Story Playland, Cars Race Rally. They received a Marvel Stunt Show. They're in the process of adding lands. Meanwhile, Martin keeps saying things could be in jeopardy for WDW. That's all I was meaning.

And I know Disneyland had it's own drought. The problem is when they get investment it's not really derailed. Again, that's all I was meaning.

Remember the last time they invested at WDW and then stopped dead in 2008? It feels similar to me. But I hope they realize they can't keep resting on their laurels. I know these are big investments but the parks stagnated for way too long. It's time to play catch up (which they are and I'm not negating what's being added, it's a lot of money being spent!) and keep playing catch up.

My paranoia is around them not continuing the investments. WDW has far more of a history of derailing projects than the other parks (while many parks have ideas that died, WDW has a SLEW of them and I think many ideas are taken and used elsewhere; yes, each time has unique circumstances but it all amounts to the same derailment -- we'd be in a much different place if they'd spent the money then). I think it's valid paranoia, lol. But we'll see. We hear how they understand what needs to happen but their actions kind of show otherwise. I see the potential to finally gain some momentum and I don't want to lose it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The sky is falling! The sky is not falling! Both are obviously not equal. There is a correct statement; a better one like many things in life.

Zootopia does not fit in Animal Kingdom at all. The park is about man’s relationship with nature and broadly ‘conservation’. Animals are part of nature, but they are not the only thing the park is about (meaning the IP can’t just have animals!), nor is it a justification to add an attraction say like Splash Mountain over because it has animals.

All man-made buildings in the park are overruled by nature. Nature wins. Allegory or not, Zootopia is a movie where animals act as people in a big city. The movie does not sell you on an actual place that could exist in our world like Avatar did, and does not fit in the realistic AK. Style is yet another reason it has no place there (the city clashing with the trees and nature look of the park).

Pandora, contrary to what some people say, fits exceptionally well at the park. Honestly, better than any modern IP land in my opinion. Harry Potter (like the entire IOA) has no relation to the other lands, Star Wars will feel the same way, but Cars Land like Pandora to AK visually fits California, and therefor California Adventure.

The only park Zootopia can remotely even fit inside is Hollywood Studios, but even then the main part about Zootopia are the animals. Sure there are different ecosystems, but the lack of actual animals for something that looks like a city (albeit with some minor differences) could stand a problem, but in HWS it could work better since there is more leeway. How will the land look? Will people magically transform into furry critters? It doesn’t really affect Toontown, but Zootopia is more about the animals than Toontown is, especially to justify it properly fitting in AK. Yet it still feels like something is off in Toontown. The world of Zootopia itself is better for a ride than an entire land unless they can do it because they have a great idea, and not just because they have to base it on a movie like has been happening a lot recently.

Hollywood Studios is a dumping ground for IP, and in my mind that’s fine for a Hollywood-style park, but the park will never have harmony like Tokyo DisneySea, or even what EPCOT and AK have. Zootopia will throw that off at AK, and it would be a real shame.

Sure, it’s my opinion, and everyone should voice theirs, but typically there is a better choice. To me it’s a no brainer: Animal Kingdom is not the right park for anything Zootopia if what we get is the city.

If you don’t care about theming, themes, and storytelling then carry on, but if you do, I challenge everyone who disagrees with me and others to at least reconsider your opinion. The best theme parks successfully transport you to different locations and worlds; the absolute best visually work together from everywhere or nearly everywhere, and they are not self-aware. That’s why Marvel’s rides (Iron Man & GOTG) being located literally at the park and not in the place the park is trying to transport you to feels off, and also why Pixar Pier is such a travesty.
I don’t expect Zootopia to be self-aware like that, but in relation to the rest of the park it won’t fit at all visually as far as storytelling is concerned. Honestly, Star Wars Land at Disneyland will in my mind feel more right at home since it’s basically it’s own genre akin to the other lands in a way. The same cannot be said for Zootopia and Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
This guy gets it.

Disney Maddux

Rumor is too strong a word for this - Uninformed Fan Speculation is closer. I get that some fans want it, but no reputable sources have indicated there are any real Zootopia additions being kicked around for WDW.
*the surveys going around DAK are something at least plus that's how Frozen Ever After started*

yensidtlaw1969

*the surveys going around DAK are something at least plus that's how Frozen Ever After started*
Did the survey mention the idea of it replacing Planet Watch or going in behind Kali? Because that's what I mean when I say speculation - there's no credible source suggesting Disney is actually considering putting it in one of those places, even if they asked in a survey if people would hypothetically enjoy Zootopia in Animal Kingdom.

For every Frozen Ever After there are a million other examples that never make it off the survey page - that was also a perfect storm* of issues that calcified into Frozen coming to Norway, it was a rare bird.

It's fine to hope for something to come to the parks, but to suggest it's rumor when all of our credible sources have rebuked the claim is irresponsible. Maybe something will turn up, but more will have to happen before this can seriously be considered as a rumor rather than an aspiration.

*Not only is the pun not intended, but I don't mean to imply that Frozen is perfect for Norway, just that it was "perfect" in the eyes of the company. But that's a whole 'nother thread.

Disney Maddux

Did the survey mention the idea of it replacing Planet Watch or going in behind Kali? Because that's what I mean when I say speculation - there's no credible source suggesting Disney is actually considering putting it in one of those places, even if they asked in a survey if people would hypothetically enjoy Zootopia in Animal Kingdom.

For every Frozen Ever After there are a million other examples that never make it off the survey page - that was also a perfect storm* of issues that calcified into Frozen coming to Norway, it was a rare bird.

It's fine to hope for something to come to the parks, but to suggest it's rumor when all of our credible sources have rebuked the claim is irresponsible. Maybe something will turn up, but more will have to happen before this can seriously be considered as a rumor rather than an aspiration.

*Not only is the pun not intended, but I don't mean to imply that Frozen is perfect for Norway, just that it was "perfect" in the eyes of the company. But that's a whole 'nother thread.
Ah. Well, that's just what I've been hearing.

But I think for now, me and fans are just hoping this goes how Frozen Ever After did, where it's a small question on a survey, then a few years later becomes a reality.

Kman101

This guy gets it.

Yep. He's spot on. People also get too caught up with "Animal" in the title of the park. Not saying it can be a park where you throw anything but certain things can actually work and not be a sky falling scenario.

Personally, and probably unpopular opinion, but instead of Dinorama would have been nice to have had Bugs Land instead. People think it's subpar and that's fine, but for a kid's area, which I think some parks could benefit from, it would have actually plussed the park. It was nicely done for what it was. And bugs can exist in the "animal kingdom". Africa and Asia don't have bugs in the dirt? ;)

Disney Maddux

Zootopia = DOA. Sorry to be the bearer of reality/bad news but... If a popular character like Moana can’t get any traction, how in the world would Zootopia? Also, Zootopia isn’t even in the same galaxy as Frozen.
For me, I can live without a land, just give them a meet-n-greet! Because WDW is literally the only Disney park to not have one.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Zootopia = DOA. Sorry to be the bearer of reality/bad news but... If a popular character like Moana can’t get any traction, how in the world would Zootopia? Also, Zootopia isn’t even in the same galaxy as Frozen.
I don't think popularity is the issue. Some things lend themselves to themed attractions, others don't. Tron isn't super popular, but it's a highly themed world with the right look and feel for a Tomorrowland attraction.

FWIW, Moana still trounces Zootopia on this scale as well, just for different reasons.

Kman101

I agree popularity isn't the issue with Zootopia.

It's sometimes all about timing. Like Princess and the Frog, Zootopia just sort of got lost in the shuffle along the way. I'm sure they want to utilize it somewhere, someday, but it's likely not a priority.

I liked the movie a lot more than I expected to. I'd say it falls short of Moana but I'd personally rank it higher than Frozen, aside from the songs in Frozen I feel like Frozen talked down to me a little, it didn't have the same feel as other Disney movies. Not a bad thing but it clearly wasn't geared towards me, even if I like it just fine.

Tangled seems to be getting traction in terms of attention and ride development, and it has a stage show on one of the cruise ships, so that's nice. I always felt Tangled was underappreciated. It also helps it has an animated series on the Disney Channel to keep the IP alive and going.

Disney Maddux

I agree popularity isn't the issue with Zootopia.

It's sometimes all about timing. Like Princess and the Frog, Zootopia just sort of got lost in the shuffle along the way. I'm sure they want to utilize it somewhere, someday, but it's likely not a priority.

I liked the movie a lot more than I expected to. I'd say it falls short of Moana but I'd personally rank it higher than Frozen, aside from the songs in Frozen I feel like Frozen talked down to me a little, it didn't have the same feel as other Disney movies. Not a bad thing but it clearly wasn't geared towards me, even if I like it just fine.

Tangled seems to be getting traction in terms of attention and ride development, and it has a stage show on one of the cruise ships, so that's nice. I always felt Tangled was underappreciated. It also helps it has an animated series on the Disney Channel to keep the IP alive and going.
The only problem is it feels like popularity is the issue. Zootopia, which is arguably a much better film than Frozen, doesn't get any attention at all besides a parade spot, while they completely milk Frozen and treat it like it's the greatest thing to ever exist, which is not only frustrating, but honestly pretty sad.

GlacierGlacier

The only problem is it feels like popularity is the issue. Zootopia, which is arguably a much better film than Frozen, doesn't get any attention at all besides a parade spot, while they completely milk Frozen and treat it like it's the greatest thing to ever exist, which is not only frustrating, but honestly pretty sad.
Frozen made a ton more money than Zootopia.

Frozen still prints money from shifting merch at a much higher volume than Zootopia.

Children want to meet/be princesses and queens.

There's stuff less successful than Zootopia implemented in the parks. But you can't blame literally their most successful property in years for the lack of inclusion.

Disney Maddux

Frozen made a ton more money than Zootopia.

Frozen still prints money from shifting merch at a much higher volume than Zootopia.

Children want to meet/be princesses and queens.

There's stuff less successful than Zootopia implemented in the parks. But you can't blame literally their most successful property in years for the lack of inclusion.
While yes Frozen made more money, Zootopia is still their 2nd highest grossing animated film. And another thing is, they give Frozen merchandise everywhere, while the reason Zootopia merchandise isn't doing good, is because they didn't even bother to put any Zootopia merchandise in the parks (other than 2 pins)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom