Zootopia at Animal Kingdom?

The idea of building a highly immersive Zootopia in Disney Parks is fine, but it just doesn't match with the theme of Disney's Animal Kingdom. DAK is about nature and conservation, with some sort of educational purpose (?). But Zootopia is just too 'cartoon' and 'unreal'. It would be better if WDC is building Zootopia in either MK or DHS instead.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm really curious to know how much control Rohde really has over what goes into the park. He can't possibly have "veto power" or else Avatar wouldn't have gotten built. Wasn't there a story that when Iger announced the deal with Cameron was the first time he heard about it?

When you are dealing with high level management people it's almost always a case of how much political capitol they have and are willing to spend not what actual authority they have to approve or reject something.

EvilChameleon

I don't think there's any question that more Zootopia stuff will come to the parks. It won a damn Academy Award. How many other movies that there are rides/attractions based on in the parks can say that?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I have a sneaking suspicion that Clickbait will throw things out there just to see if insiders, like our own here, back them up or shoot them down.

Herbie

I can't tell you how much I'd love to see an article written about the (likely trivial) spats of Adult Disney Fans feuding in the way so many bloggers do. Between ******* constantly tossing shade at Touring Plans, to WDWMagic and Corless, to everyone (rightfully) hating Rob Alvey/Theme Park Review.
The one thing I do know is Steve here is pretty awesome. :D
Regardless, It'd be hilarious and entertaining for sure.

ETA: Dang- even Easy WDW is blocked out! haha. I knew he and Corless were friends... so the plot thickens :p

Is there an issue with Theme Park Review? o:

Last edited:

Bairstow

When you are dealing with high level management people it's almost always a case of how much political capitol they have and are willing to spend not what actual authority they have to approve or reject something.

Rohde's situation seems to be more complicated, though, as he is publicly, if not internally acknowledged to be the "father" of that park. It wouldn't surprise me if much of WDI defers to his judgement on decisions regarding "his" park out of respect, if nothing else.

No Name

I think Zootopia fits perfect at AK, especially if you rode the train into the city like in the movie. I have ZERO prob with more IP's being worked into the parks especially AK (our least visited park). If I'm paying Disney prices I expect to see Disney characters worked into the attractions. AK is nothing more than a beautifully themed Zoo IMO, which for some people that works for others who are expecting rides and Disney characters it doesn't move the needle very much. We have a 4 yr old and she is always bored out of her mind when we go to AK because of the lack of rides and characters. Its sad that she loves the River Journey so much only because its an actual ride she can get on. I know the Zootopia land is nothing more than a rumor, but I hope it has some legs even if it is 10yrs out from actually happening.

When you went to see Zootopia for the first time, were you disappointed that it didn't have any preexisting "Disney characters" in it? Zootopia told its story with completely new, original characters.

So why is your logic different for a theme park? Why can't an attraction tell its story with completely new, original characters?

The quintessential question I have for you is:
Why can movies create new characters, but theme parks cannot?

Lets Respect

This is a great idea (see my avatar LOL) I doubt it will happen though. I could see them maybe re-theming Rafiki's and sticking a meet and greet back there to get people to go there. But beyond that, I doubt it. They just built Pandora

JSchnitz

It's not so much that Zootopia fits into AK. It's more that it fits into the existing setup with the train and a need for a more fulfilling attraction back there.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
It won a damn Academy Award. How many other movies that there are rides/attractions based on in the parks can say that?

If we gave all Disney movies that won for "Best Animated Feature" a major ride/attraction/themed land, than Inside Out, Big Hero 6, Brave, Up, Wall-E, Ratatouille, and The Incredibles are all due some love in the parks...

Bairstow

AK was never going to be 100% devoted to real things, it was always supposed to have an area devoted to imaginary creatures.
That's true, but Everest managed to check that box without compromising the park's "third world world tour" aesthetics. In retrospect, I feel like that was the stronger approach. The ride and queue does a great job of explaining how mythical animals and myths about animals come to be. I say leave the fairy tale forests to Fantasyland and Potterland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom