Zika in Disney???

DiSnEyF@n

Anyone worried about getting Zika while in Orlando this summer? I am pregnant and hubby and I are "thinking" (totally might not even go) about going to Disney in July and I'm terrified of getting Zika while there. It really might be the only reason why I don't go.

ratherbeinwdw

Sorry, but a doctor knows no more about the risk than you could if you do some research. I would contact the CDC or better still, the local health department. The fact so many Brazilians go to Disney and if a mosquito bites one of them, then it will probably be passed on.
No way would I take even the smallest risk with my baby.
There has been a lot of testing on different sprays. Only three were effective. Please look up the research, and then make your decision.
To me, this is one area where any risk is too much risk.
Last I checked, their were almost 300 cases in the US. All of these were from travel or sexual contact. The head of the CDC says it's only time until it's in our mosquitoes. I have been watching this very closely.
I come at this as someone who has been in the "extremely rare " category more than once.

Upvote 0

Lirael

If you're worried, I'd avoid going in the summer. Even if there's nothing (which is likely) it might stress you out worrying about it. The mosquito likes warmth and humidity, so maybe consider going in autumn or winter.

If you're still considering summer anyway: try to stick to airconditioned places as much as you can (because of the msoquito not liking the cold), try to cover up as much as possible and avoid sticking around places where water is accumulating (thats where they lay eggs)

Upvote 0

witandwander

My doctor told me this past week that there may be a concern of Zika in Florida and Texas, but not until August. We are pregnant and going in May. My doctor told me to wear lots of sunscreen and bug spray, but to just enjoy myself as there's nothing to worry about! I would definitely talk to your doctor.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all of your responses. I appreciate it. I'm still weighing the pros and cons and like some of you have said, if I am worried about it maybe it's best to just skip this year... Stinks, but well worth it for my little baby :)

Upvote 0

hanwill

I went to Disney in August one year when I was 5 months pregnant. Went to Animal Kingdom (it has just opened). I drank water all day and was completely and utterly more exhausted than I had ever been. And we didn't even stay all day. I was in great health, but it was so exhausting... Just consider that as well. The Zika virus would not be worth the risk for me... and Disney will always be there.

Upvote 0

olie64

My wife and I are expecting also and will are going first of June. We are keeping an eye on the cdc map, and talking with our doctors. Most places in the United States have confirmed travel related Zika, and if it come to the US then it be all over the south. If there becomes an uptick of non-travel related cases we will rethink our trip. But right now our doctor and the cdc map are still saying it will be alright.

here the link to the map:

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/united-states.html

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
My wife and I are expecting also and will are going first of June. We are keeping an eye on the cdc map, and talking with our doctors. Most places in the United States have confirmed travel related Zika, and if it come to the US then it be all over the south. If there becomes an uptick of non-travel related cases we will rethink our trip. But right now our doctor and the cdc map are still saying it will be alright.

here the link to the map:

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/united-states.html

Thanks for sharing the link! It's greatly appreciated. :)

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

I'm sorry but this is abject paranoia.

1. The odds of dying in a car crash on your way to work if you stayed home are orders of magnitude greater than the risk of contracting Zika at Walt Disney World.

2. Zika presents as a mild cold in 4 out of 5 cases.

3. The link between microcephaly and Zika has not been shown to be causal.

4. There are exponentially more common birth defects that happen that have nothing to do with Zika.

Upvote 0

Disneyhead'71

I'm sorry but this is abject paranoia.

1. The odds of dying in a car crash on your way to work if you stayed home are orders of magnitude greater than the risk of contracting Zika at Walt Disney World.

2. Zika presents as a mild cold in 4 out of 5 cases.

3. The link between microcephaly and Zika has not been shown to be causal.

4. There are exponentially more common birth defects that happen that have nothing to do with Zika.
Informed caution is not abject paranoia.

The real question is, do I need to take this risk? And what's the worst case scenario? WDW will always be there.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Informed caution is not abject paranoia.

The real question is, do I need to take this risk? And what's the worst case scenario? WDW will always be there.
That's my point. There is no risk and to think otherwise is uninformed caution and therefore abject paranoia. There's no risk mathematically, logically, realistically. To look at 0.00000001% risk as anything other than zero is paranoia and not any way I want to live my life.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Personally think weighing the pros and cons and making an educated decision is what is wise, as well as consulting with your doctor. Being pregnant, I am NOT willing to take the risk. Call it what you will "abject paranoia" or whatever, but I don't need something else to be worried about that could harm my baby.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom