Zephyr Monorail Mt. Whittier, NH

cloudboy

Original Poster
Anyone from NH here? I have a question about the Mountain Zephyr. It was a downhill mountain ride that they had at Mt. Whittier in Ossippee.

Any idea who made it, or was it a one-off type of thing? I guess someone has finally bought up the place, and is starting sking and some summer stuff there again. But I have not been up there for a few years.

I heard lots of rumors that it was unsafe and that was part of the reason the place failed, but I don't have a lot of faith in that rumor.

I am interested in mountain rides - I know that there are two firms that make alpine slides from Germany, and there is some company that makes these downhill carts, but I am looking for something unique.

Oh, for those new englanders, too... At Attitash, sometime in the sixties I believe - they started to put in this tiny monorail to service the parking area. Any idea what happened with that?

cloudboy

Original Poster
It was only opne for about 4 or 5 years - while they had that little park at the bottom. This was a long time ago - I think the place closed mid 80's. It was like a steel I-beam that was set up opn struts, and these things which looked like plastic saddles would slide down the mountain.

I just got an e-mail from the company that bought the mountain - he said the stuff was still there, in fact. They are still exploring what they are going to be doing with it. I think things like that are neat - something a bit different and inventive.

Officialjustb

Anyone from NH here? I have a question about the Mountain Zephyr. It was a downhill mountain ride that they had at Mt. Whittier in Ossippee.

Any idea who made it, or was it a one-off type of thing? I guess someone has finally bought up the place, and is starting sking and some summer stuff there again. But I have not been up there for a few years.

I heard lots of rumors that it was unsafe and that was part of the reason the place failed, but I don't have a lot of faith in that rumor.

I am interested in mountain rides - I know that there are two firms that make alpine slides from Germany, and there is some company that makes these downhill carts, but I am looking for something unique.

Oh, for those new englanders, too... At Attitash, sometime in the sixties I believe - they started to put in this tiny monorail to service the parking area. Any idea what happened with that?
I once road this ride down the side of a mountain with my cousin accompanying me in the proceeding “cart” deemed the “Zephyr “. It was intense because it had the two of us over cliffs at top speeds. The only control was the brake lever. I pulled and yanked it in terror until it stopped directly over one of the aforementioned cliffs. At that point I was stuck and scared. When I looked ahead I could see my cousin stopped and was yelling for me to rock the cart. That’s when it began moving again. I refused to touch the brake till it was done. I was one and done for that ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom