Trip Report You've Got a Friend in Me

Hello friends!! Welcome & I'm happy to have you here for another TR!! This trip was filled with so much fun & friendship in so many different ways that when I think back on it I can't help but smile!! So many happy times & I look forward to sharing them with you all, my friends!!

WHEN: Tuesday, October 27th - Tuesday, November 3rd

WHO: Myself-Patti, JSR, E & J
IMG_8388.JPG

In case you forgot what we look like here's one minus masks!! :hilarious:
IMG_6081.JPEG

WHERE: Saratoga Springs Treehouse Villa
IMG_8473.jpeg

So, I had made mention in my last TR that we were booked to stay at The Polynesian this trip. About a month or so before the trip we got the email that the regular rooms(which we were booked in) were not going to be open then. They offered to move us to The Grand Floridian. None of us were really feeling it so we explored our options. E & I really enjoyed our stay at Saratoga Springs in August(I think a lot has to do with it having that Riverside "feel" to it) so we decided to go with a treehouse villa. A big plus ended up being that it cost us all waaaay less than what the Poly/GF was going to. I was disappointed but felt better after some friends, @Darstarr & @Tuvalu, told me I was probably better off waiting to experience the resort until the remodel was done anyways!!

I drove to their house & got there at 9:15. My sister wanted to leave for the airport no later than 9:30. Notice that there are 3 suitcases but 4 people?? Someone wasn't done packing & E was not happy!! The stroller went with us but it went unused most of the time so E decided that this was going to be the last trip for it.
IMG_7581.JPEG

The reason for the packing delay? J snuck outside & excitedly told me a secret. His dad was packing our friend, PCB!!🤣
IMG_7582.JPEG

Notice the scab on his face--the poor kid took a fall at school a few days before.

Remember E sending me this after our last trip? Well, we didn't have to get it!!
IMG_7524.JPEG

We got to the airport & unloaded the luggage. E went to park the car & we went to wait for her inside. It was then that J realized his mask was with his mom. I told him I had a bunch in my bag & for him to temporarily use one of them. It was a little big on him....
IMG_7583.JPEG

We checked in quickly & headed to the main terminal. J was happy to have his shark mask back!! One of our other sisters made that for him & he really likes it!!
IMG_7584.JPEG

The airport was a ghost town as it was in August.
IMG_7585.JPEG

J's favorite store was still closed😞
IMG_7586.JPEG

donaldtoo

Wow--reading this made a light bulb go off in my head. I'm 46 & retail is all I've ever done!! It can age a person--just sayin'!!
It is a learning experience that's for sure. I've definitely grown & matured over the years. For sure I don't handle things the same way I would have 20 years ago(it's for the better, trust me!!)
I always say that I could write a book myself about some of the things I've seen over the years!! But, the only people who would probably appreciate it are those that work in retail. They would, let's just say,....get it!!
I'm sure it was a lot of fun. I like my job, don't get me wrong, but let's get right down to it--the only magic I make for people is making sure the beans are on the shelf!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

:joyfull::hilarious:
To say the least, it was definitely an interesting time for our whole family (myself, DWifey, and our 3 kiddos).
The Disney Store was the first retail job I got, and the last one I quit about 6 months after I was rehired full-time by the architectural firm. I worked only weekends after that, so I could still use my CM discounts for our June of ‘13 trip (which we also used for our July of ‘12 trip when our oldest DD became engaged at WDW in front of Cinderella Castle on her 21st birthday...35% merch., 50% DDP, and 60% resort). I also worked at Batteries+, Kay Jewelers, a men’s clothing store, and a seasonal mall calendar and game store, at various times...as many as 3 jobs at a time. Our Disney Store SM would make our schedule 2 weeks in advance, so I would take a copy to my other gig(s) so they could schedule around it.
I once worked for over 3.5 months without a full day off, and worked a Black Friday for over 18 hrs., only taking 5 mins. to throw down a sandwich between my last 2 gigs. :cyclops:
I look back on it now, and can’t believe how we did it, but, we had a family to support, and bills to pay, so nothin’ was gonna’ stop us.
Now, I just sit back in my comfortable office and crank out custom home designs, which is a whole other stress level on its own, which I was used to for years. It’s funny though, I’m pretty much a people person, and, although many could be a PITA, I do miss the public interaction I had workin’ retail, as so many people are still good, and it was a pleasure to serve them...and retail opened me up to a whole other world that I wouldn’t trade for anything...!!! :)

Songbird76

I'm sure it was a lot of fun. I like my job, don't get me wrong, but let's get right down to it--the only magic I make for people is making sure the beans are on the shelf!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
That's totally not true! Especially right now...You have such an essential job. People depend on you to make sure they have access to necessities! And you really made magic happen with my immunocompromised friend! You are a magician!! It may seem small to you, but I assure you it's not.

k8einwdw

Let me just say how hard it was to get a seat there. So many people saving tables & so many just sitting there not eating or drinking. The ones not eating or drinking really irritated me. We ended up having to eat with ours on a wall b/c of so many peoples selfishness:mad:

This happened to us in September, and we were able to walk around the corner and eat our food at the Liberty Square Market, which has a decent amount of seating. Just a tip if this happens to anyone else in the future!

MegRuss626

We figured we would go in The Emporium then b/c it would probably be crazier close to closing. It was already nuts then. There was a line to get in!!

A few days after this I learned the lesson not to wait until closer to closing. We got in line near the Crystal Palace 🤦🏻‍♀️

Oh, and I am also not a fan of the Ooey Gooey toffee cake 🤷🏻‍♀️

riverside

Original Poster
Yay! I'm going to start reading it now. :)
Thanks but as you can see I didn't get far & I'm getting ready to leave for work so no updates today:(
I completely understand your frustration with the seating at Sleepy Hollow. It’s always a bear trying to find a table! 😡 I always go there with the mindset that I’m not going to find somewhere to sit, and I’m correct 9/10 lol.

But anyways, I enjoyed your TR as always! And I think that I can speak for everyone whenever I say that J’s antics never fail to entertain! Looking forward to your next TR, which I noticed you just started. Heading there now!
It was very aggravating!! I would be embarrassed to be the people sitting there just taking up space!!

Thank you!! He is a trip for sure!! Thank you for joining in on the new one also!!
:joyfull::hilarious:
To say the least, it was definitely an interesting time for our whole family (myself, DWifey, and our 3 kiddos).
The Disney Store was the first retail job I got, and the last one I quit about 6 months after I was rehired full-time by the architectural firm. I worked only weekends after that, so I could still use my CM discounts for our June of ‘13 trip (which we also used for our July of ‘12 trip when our oldest DD became engaged at WDW in front of Cinderella Castle on her 21st birthday...35% merch., 50% DDP, and 60% resort). I also worked at Batteries+, Kay Jewelers, a men’s clothing store, and a seasonal mall calendar and game store, at various times...as many as 3 jobs at a time. Our Disney Store SM would make our schedule 2 weeks in advance, so I would take a copy to my other gig(s) so they could schedule around it.
I once worked for over 3.5 months without a full day off, and worked a Black Friday for over 18 hrs., only taking 5 mins. to throw down a sandwich between my last 2 gigs. :cyclops:
I look back on it now, and can’t believe how we did it, but, we had a family to support, and bills to pay, so nothin’ was gonna’ stop us.
Now, I just sit back in my comfortable office and crank out custom home designs, which is a whole other stress level on its own, which I was used to for years. It’s funny though, I’m pretty much a people person, and, although many could be a PITA, I do miss the public interaction I had workin’ retail, as so many people are still good, and it was a pleasure to serve them...and retail opened me up to a whole other world that I wouldn’t trade for anything...!!! :)
Oh--to have a CM discount would be awesome!!
Wow--you were quite busy, that's for sure!!
There is a lot of interaction in retail. Usually it's pretty good. But, there are those days.....
As always I enjoyed your report! My dream is to see Halloween and Christmas decorations all in one trip. Someday! It was so much fun to see all of your meet ups with other Magicians! Glad you’ve already started another TR!
Thank you!! I was excited to see both, for sure!! The meet ups were a blast & I'm so happy to have got them all in!!
Thanks--I need to get a move on it now!!
That's totally not true! Especially right now...You have such an essential job. People depend on you to make sure they have access to necessities! And you really made magic happen with my immunocompromised friend! You are a magician!! It may seem small to you, but I assure you it's not.
Thank you for saying that!! It's just that it can get dull sometimes. Make an order, put up an order, make an order, put up an order & repeat, over & over again!!
Thanks for inviting all of to join in. Had a blast! Great TR.
Thank you for being here!! I'm glad you liked it!!
Thank you for the great report! I loved seeing all the magic meet ups! You are looking fantastic BTW! Looking for your new one now. :)
Thank you for following!! The meet ups were awesome!!
Thank you--I run around like a madwoman at work most of the day & it's helped me to shed a few pounds!! I hope it continues!!
This happened to us in September, and we were able to walk around the corner and eat our food at the Liberty Square Market, which has a decent amount of seating. Just a tip if this happens to anyone else in the future!
Good idea--thank you!! It never seems as crowded over there now that you say that!!
The treehouses certainly look like a cool place to stay!
They really are!! We really enjoyed them. We are staying there again in July!!
A few days after this I learned the lesson not to wait until closer to closing. We got in line near the Crystal Palace 🤦🏻‍♀️

Oh, and I am also not a fan of the Ooey Gooey toffee cake 🤷🏻‍♀️
And you waited in it??(of course, that probably compared to The Disney Store line!!:hilarious:

I don't know what it is about that but I just can't bring myself to like it either!!

donaldtoo

Oh--to have a CM discount would be awesome!!
Wow--you were quite busy, that's for sure!!
There is a lot of interaction in retail. Usually it's pretty good. But, there are those days.....

Yep, the CM discounts were great, even as a Disney Store CM...!!! :)

Indeed, crazy-busy, but, the mortgage and other bills had to be paid...!!! ;)

Yes, I definitely had more good interactions with Guests (even at my other retail jobs) than bad. One interaction, particularly, stands out...
I asked a Disney Store Guest for her I.D. for a credit card purchase, as it was company policy at the time. She got very upset, and started ranting rather loudly. I explained that it was company policy and that I was required to do so. Still ranting, she finally produced her I.D. I finished the transaction and wished her a Magical day...without even gritting my teeth or a hint of sarcasm in my tone...!!!!! :hilarious:
About 15 mins. later she was back in queue (one overall queue for 3 registers). I thought “Good grief, WTH now...?!?!?!” She waited patiently (it was during the holidays, so we were packed) and it was obvious she was waiting specifically to get to me. When it was her turn I greeted her politely and with another smile. She then began to profusely apologize (and not quietly ;)) for the way she had treated me earlier. I told her it was OK, we all have bad days, etc., and it spoke to her character that she took the time to come back and do that.
My fellow CM’s on either side of me (I had the middle register) looked at me like “Did that really just happen...?!?!?!” They told me later that no Guest had ever apologized to them before.
And, I assisted that Guest (always a joy and so sweet) many more times after that when she came into the Store during a shift I was workin’...kinda’ cool how that all turned out, actually...!!!!! :happy:

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

Thanks, Patti, for a wonderful trip report, again!!! I love to see J just having fun and dancing along with the cavalcades.
We forget just how much fun it is to do spontaneous things when we are happy.
Your TR was much appreciated while we are waiting to thaw out here in N. Mn. It was 35 degrees today, Wheweeee!
Can't wait for your next adventure:)

riverside

Original Poster
Yep, the CM discounts were great, even as a Disney Store CM...!!! :)

Indeed, crazy-busy, but, the mortgage and other bills had to be paid...!!! ;)

Yes, I definitely had more good interactions with Guests (even at my other retail jobs) than bad. One interaction, particularly, stands out...
I asked a Disney Store Guest for her I.D. for a credit card purchase, as it was company policy at the time. She got very upset, and started ranting rather loudly. I explained that it was company policy and that I was required to do so. Still ranting, she finally produced her I.D. I finished the transaction and wished her a Magical day...without even gritting my teeth or a hint of sarcasm in my tone...!!!!! :hilarious:
About 15 mins. later she was back in queue (one overall queue for 3 registers). I thought “Good grief, WTH now...?!?!?!” She waited patiently (it was during the holidays, so we were packed) and it was obvious she was waiting specifically to get to me. When it was her turn I greeted her politely and with another smile. She then began to profusely apologize (and not quietly ;)) for the way she had treated me earlier. I told her it was OK, we all have bad days, etc., and it spoke to her character that she took the time to come back and do that.
My fellow CM’s on either side of me (I had the middle register) looked at me like “Did that really just happen...?!?!?!” They told me later that no Guest had ever apologized to them before.
And, I assisted that Guest (always a joy and so sweet) many more times after that when she came into the Store during a shift I was workin’...kinda’ cool how that all turned out, actually...!!!!! :happy:
That's a neat story!! I had one a few years ago ripping me a new one over a card transaction. She claimed the money came out of her account(like this happened while she was still in the store). I told her it was in "limbo" & it would be in her account shortly. She didn't want to hear it & called me, quite loudly, every name in the book. She finally left & the employees were telling me how bad they felt for how she treated me. Things like that don't bother me. I stay calm b/c if not it only makes things worse plus I always want to set a good example for my team members. Well, less than 10 minutes later she came back & asked for me. Everyone was bracing for the worst figuring I was going to get it again. She actually came in to tell me that not only was the money in her account but more than anything she wanted to apologize for her behavior. It was to the point where she was embarrassing me b/c she was apologizing too much. To this day she still shops there & I purposely go out of my way to be nice to her. All's well that ends well!!

riverside

Original Poster
Thanks, Patti, for a wonderful trip report, again!!! I love to see J just having fun and dancing along with the cavalcades.
We forget just how much fun it is to do spontaneous things when we are happy.
Your TR was much appreciated while we are waiting to thaw out here in N. Mn. It was 35 degrees today, Wheweeee!
Can't wait for your next adventure:)
Thank you for reading!! It is fun to watch the things he does!!
I couldn't agree more!!
Oh no!! Spring has finally arrived in dreary Pittsburgh. We almost hit 70 yesterday. Today's high is 61 but we are under a wind advisory(could gust around 50 mph) & it is absolutely nuts. It's garbage day in my neighborhood & my drive to Starbucks this morning was quite eventful trying to dodge all the garbage cans all over the streets!!
I'm working on it & really hope to get it done before I head back "home" in 19 days!!

donaldtoo

That's a neat story!! I had one a few years ago ripping me a new one over a card transaction. She claimed the money came out of her account(like this happened while she was still in the store). I told her it was in "limbo" & it would be in her account shortly. She didn't want to hear it & called me, quite loudly, every name in the book. She finally left & the employees were telling me how bad they felt for how she treated me. Things like that don't bother me. I stay calm b/c if not it only makes things worse plus I always want to set a good example for my team members. Well, less than 10 minutes later she came back & asked for me. Everyone was bracing for the worst figuring I was going to get it again. She actually came in to tell me that not only was the money in her account but more than anything she wanted to apologize for her behavior. It was to the point where she was embarrassing me b/c she was apologizing too much. To this day she still shops there & I purposely go out of my way to be nice to her. All's well that ends well!!

Wow, cool, and very similar story...!!! :)
Yea, I had blown it off well before she got back in queue, about 15 mins. later...wasn’t the first time dealing with an unhappy Guest, and wouldn’t be the last. But, when she got back in queue I was prepared for the worst.
Some people are just naturally jerks, like to complain, etc., but, others may just be havin’ a bad day, week, month, etc.
Ya’ just never know what folks may be goin’ through.
It still kinda’ warms my heart the way we sorta’ were buds any time she came into the store after that...!!!!! :hilarious:

On a side note...
I was raised to treat everyone with respect, and to not look down on or be condescending to others in any situation, especially those serving/attending to you...!!! :)

riverside

Original Poster
Wow, cool, and very similar story...!!! :)
Yea, I had blown it off well before she got back in queue, about 15 mins. later...wasn’t the first time dealing with an unhappy Guest, and wouldn’t be the last. But, when she got back in queue I was prepared for the worst.
Some people are just naturally jerks, like to complain, etc., but, others may just be havin’ a bad day, week, month, etc.
Ya’ just never know what folks may be goin’ through.
It still kinda’ warms my heart the way we sorta’ were buds any time she came into the store after that...!!!!! :hilarious:

On a side note...
I was raised to treat everyone with respect, and to not look down on or be condescending to others in any situation, especially those serving/attending to you...!!! :)
I was raised to be respectful also & always keep that in mind. My grandma was a waitress & always said what a hard job it was & consequently I remember that to this day & always think of that when dining out(which is daily with me 🤣) I appreciate how hard they work!!

When I get ripped a new one by a customer & team members question why I take it I always tell them you never know what someone is going through & we all have problems but there's could be worse than ours. I just take it in stride & "Let It Go".... Yes, some are total jerks but I still feel the need to set a good example for my team regardless of the person/situation. If anything, I would hope that my team members(esp. the younger ones) who may not see it now will one day look back & think of how I handled something & know what to do from there. I'm not a teacher/principal(like R is) but I think as an adult in a leadership role it's also my job to teach the youth that are working with me not only how to put those "beans on the shelf" but also how to deal with these types of things.

donaldtoo

I was raised to be respectful also & always keep that in mind. My grandma was a waitress & always said what a hard job it was & consequently I remember that to this day & always think of that when dining out(which is daily with me 🤣) I appreciate how hard they work!!

When I get ripped a new one by a customer & team members question why I take it I always tell them you never know what someone is going through & we all have problems but there's could be worse than ours. I just take it in stride & "Let It Go".... Yes, some are total jerks but I still feel the need to set a good example for my team regardless of the person/situation. If anything, I would hope that my team members(esp. the younger ones) who may not see it now will one day look back & think of how I handled something & know what to do from there. I'm not a teacher/principal(like R is) but I think as an adult in a leadership role it's also my job to teach the youth that are working with me not only how to put those "beans on the shelf" but also how to deal with these types of things.

Hahaaa...!!!!! :hilarious:
Yea, I’ve never had a job in food service, but, it’s clear the vast majority of folks in that industry work their tails off, and deserve respect...!!! :)

And yep, I learned well before I ever worked retail that gettin’ all twisted up about stuff just clogs your mind, makes you less focused, and you’re not able to do your job as well.
I was also aware of the example I felt the younger CM’s needed to see from my ol’ bad self ;), even before I became a Lead Manager.
My 1+ year stint as a Lead Manager (I was allowed to step down to regular CM, and work only weekends, after the architectural firm hired me back full-time) could be some hard work, especially opening or closing shifts when I was the only manager on duty. And, that got even WAYYYYYYY crazier during the Holidays...!!!!! 🤪:hilarious:
But, it was also REAL cool to have a key to the Disney Store...!!!!!!! :joyfull::D;):hilarious:

riverside

Original Poster
Hahaaa...!!!!! :hilarious:
Yea, I’ve never had a job in food service, but, it’s clear the vast majority of folks in that industry work their tails off, and deserve respect...!!! :)

And yep, I learned well before I ever worked retail that gettin’ all twisted up about stuff just clogs your mind, makes you less focused, and you’re not able to do your job as well.
I was also aware of the example I felt the younger CM’s needed to see from my ol’ bad self ;), even before I became a Lead Manager.
My 1+ year stint as a Lead Manager (I was allowed to step down to regular CM, and work only weekends, after the architectural firm hired me back full-time) could be some hard work, especially opening or closing shifts when I was the only manager on duty. And, that got even WAYYYYYYY crazier during the Holidays...!!!!! 🤪:hilarious:
But, it was also REAL cool to have a key to the Disney Store...!!!!!!! :joyfull::D;):hilarious:
Yes--holidays make retail even crazier!!

That would be super amazing to have a key to a Disney store!!

lindawdw

You have such a great attitude Patti and you really are setting an incredible example for the young people that work for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom