You're One Thing to Make EPCOT Better?

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
OK, I'm a fan of EPCOT, but only the countries, as the front can be kind of boring due to the giant open spaces full of nothing and the supposedly innoventions for innovations that are really dated by time they get there. I ask you all, if you could do one thing to make this front area better what would you do?

I'd say either get companies (i.e. Sony, Microsoft, Apple, etc...) to set up sections in innoventions, that way they'll be able to update them in a timely fashion or incorporate some cool sci-fi stuff (they already are get Doctor Who shirts in the British section, which is awesome, now only if they'd convince moffat to stop being the head writer, but that's for another board). Yes, it will be like advertising if companies get in there, but that's where the cool tech is, and they can also have lesser publicly known companies come in. If they go the sci-fi way then I'm sure they could work out something to have Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, (sadly) Tron (horrible movies), and other sci-fi shows incorporated (come on, they have American Idol in Hollywood Studios, they could probably even get Firefly if they were so inclined).

invader

I forget what the front part of the park is called, but it's the part with test track, soarin', aquarium, and spaceship earth. Then the back part is the countries (I think it's called world showcase).
Future World.

The (living) Seas with Nemo and Friends*

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
Future World.

The (living) Seas with Nemo and Friends*
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure what it was called, I've been reading about the park and came across that it used to be called Project Gemini before being made, so I wasn't sure if that stuck or not.

MarkTwain

Probably the Imagination pavilion as a whole. Imagination ride + new attraction for the 3D theater + reutilization of upstairs ImageWorks.

Close seconds would be a new World Showcase pavilion or a redo of the main entrance.

awoogala

real science. Hard science.facts. With a sprinkle of whimsy, and a dream for the future. Engineering marvels that could be. Cutting edge technology. Stop dumbing down. Find a way to write scripts that entice us again into being better, doing better. Epcot to me, as a child, in future world, was a dreamworld of possibility...do better, be better, learn more, invent, push forward, attain knowledge.
I love sci-to, but I would rather it stay in DHS, leave epcot for reality.
future world should be real science, the countries should be as close to a taste of the actual country.
mk has fantasy, DHS has Hollywood's version of reality, and ak and epcot have more reality.
Just how I see it ;-)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure what it was called, I've been reading about the park and came across that it used to be called Project Gemini before being made, so I wasn't sure if that stuck or not.
You're confused. Gemini was a part-real proposal about 8 years ago to retheme Futureworld. Soarin was the only thing that happened.

Right now Futureworld needs about a half a billion of well spent money just to get back on its feet again.

Jason21783

Redo the Imagination Pavilion. The character icon of the park deserves a better attraction.

OR

Add a new country to World Showcase, with a new attraction. We've had so many teases over the years. Austalia, Russia, Brazil, Spain....

OR

Redo and Reopen the Wonders of Life or ceate a completely new palivion over there.
That's 3 One Things..

The Empress Lilly

Take back future world from corporate sponsorship and let unchained imagineering have their way with it.
But hasn't FW always been driven by corporate sponsorship? Down to the very choice of which pavilions, which concepts to include.

Also, recent improvements (at least attempts at that) have been corporate driven. Disney is sleeping, it only wakes up when an outside party wakes it with shaking a deep purse. Disney gave us Imagination 2.0 and Nemo. Corporate investment gave us M:S, which wasn't a cheap attraction, SSE's refurbishment, which for all the criticism did mean SSE has been saved from ending up as 'Stitch's Communication Adventure', and now TT.

copcarguyp71

But hasn't FW always been driven by corporate sponsorship? Down to the very choice of which pavilions, which concepts to include.

Also, recent improvements (at least attempts at that) have been corporate driven. Disney is sleeping, it only wakes up when an outside party wakes it with shaking a deep purse. Disney gave us Imagination 2.0 and Nemo. Corporate investment gave us M:S, which wasn't a cheap attraction, SSE's refurbishment, which for all the criticism did mean SSE has been saved from ending up as 'Stitch's Communication Adventure', and now TT.

This is pretty much my point...take control of FW and stop using corporate money as a crutch. It is a pipe dream at best but in keeping with the thread intent it is my one "wish". I know initially the intention was to have a "worlds fair" type of approach where corporations want to wow the world with their inventiveness and ingenuity but I think in light of the global economy those days are over and perhaps they need to re-examine the intent and focus of FW. It is really the only way I see any improvements coming anytime soon. I know they are a HUGE corporation with tons of subsidiaries but when they have spare cashola on hand to make the types of corporate acquisitions and DVC build outs they have been doing recently I think they should be able to re-allocate some of those funds towards getting out of the rut the parks have been in for some time and Epcot is as "rutty" as any.

michmousefan

This is pretty much my point...take control of FW and stop using corporate money as a crutch. It is a pipe dream at best but in keeping with the thread intent it is my one "wish". I know initially the intention was to have a "worlds fair" type of approach where corporations want to wow the world with their inventiveness and ingenuity but I think in light of the global economy those days are over and perhaps they need to re-examine the intent and focus of FW.
I think that Lilly's point was that the corporate money does work some of the time... as it appears to be the case with the renewed TT (at least from very early reports). I think one of the benefits of corporate sponsorship is that it requires Disney to be a at least a little accountable to an outside party -- so when United Technologies pulls out of Seas we get a Nemo makeover. At least Siemens basically kept SSE intact. Who knows what it might have been if was funded by the cheaper in-house TDO funding.

I liken it to the Star Wars prequels - Lucas ran the whole thing (essentially a giant Indie filmmaker) and didn't have any outside checks; it was just his yes-men and him making those movies, no real studio involvement. And we know how those turned out.

That said, I'd really like to see a new sponsor for Imagination, and a whole new attraction in the pavilion. Obviously, there are other places in FW that could benefit from cash (Energy), but I think if you are looking for the biggest bang for the buck you have to start at Imagination.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom