YOUR vision for New Fantasyland

DisneyJunkie

Original Poster
I have to admit, though I do like Beauty & The Beast, it wouldn't have been my first choice as the main focus of New Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom. I probably would have made the theming of the area more "fantasy" in nature along the lines of focusing on Neverland or Wonderland. "Peter Pan's Flight" could have been retired and/or reimagined at the center of it with a more technologically advanced dark ride flight into Neverland. Beauty & The Beast could be a dark ride in itself that replaces the new Little Mermaid attraction (and it would be more interesting than TLM too). I'd also have taken away Belle's Village and put in an AiW ride there, something similar to the one in Disneyland. (MHTP might be removed altogether.) As far as a restaurant in concerned, something like The Wonderland TeaRoom (based on Mad Hatter's tea party) or The Neverland Terrace (decorated to look like a dining hall on the Never Tree, overlooking all of Neverland.....something similar to the design of the ballroom in BoG now).

What would your vision have been?

EricJ

I have to admit, though I do like Beauty & The Beast, it wouldn't have been my first choice as the main focus of New Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom. I probably would have made the theming of the area more "fantasy" in nature along the lines of focusing on Neverland or Wonderland. "Peter Pan's Flight" could have been retired and/or reimagined at the center of it with a more technologically advanced dark ride flight into Neverland.

...DARK RIIIIIIIDE!

Beauty & The Beast could be a dark ride in itself that replaces the new Little Mermaid attraction (and it would be more interesting than TLM too).

....DARK RIIIIIIDE! :p

(Y'know, it wouldn't have killed them to leave the Pixie Hollow tree up--
Maybe less of the play area that was supposed to go with it, and not so far out on the fringes, but it would've made the Fairies seem less like poor displaced characters, would've fit with the Dumbo/Mermaid scenery, and had a lot longer shelf-life than watching Aurora open her birthday cards.)

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

I like Be Our Guest for what it is, and the Belle attraction has grown on me. The Mine Train looks pretty decent. Mermaid is kind of a bust (hope the new upgrades will successfully address its failings). As for new stuff, I still think a Frozen attraction, with an Ice Palace and a dark ride and falling snow, would be great, and a major expansion and rebuild of Peter Pan's Flight would be awesome. Also, a Disney Villains attraction could be the "Potter Swatter" TDO has (reportedly) been looking for (forget Avatar. I daresay most people already have). The Bald Mountain idea should be resurrected into a dark ride featuring most of the iconic Disney villains. Chernobog could be perched on top of it in giant AA form, growling down at everybody (epic coolness). The part of the area it's built in could be the flip side of the Enchanted Forest - a Haunted Forest. Wow, I get chills just thinking about this. Disney's villains are just as memorable as its heroes. It's time something was done with them for the parks.

EricJ

I like Be Our Guest for what it is, and the Belle attraction has grown on me.

I actually liked Belle's old Enchanted Garden show at the little out-of-the-way Castle alcove (first discovered it by surprise, since I never knew where that little Garden spot was)--So when they announced Belle's Tales, I already knew what was coming, and DIDN'T turn into one of those disgruntled dark-riders who heard a new attraction being built, went to see it and said, "Wait, this isn't an E-coaster, no fair!"

Also, a Disney Villains attraction could be the "Potter Swatter" TDO has (reportedly) been looking for (Disney's villains are just as memorable as its heroes. It's time something was done with them for the parks.

Uh, how much of that is ACTUAL Disney fan thought, and how much of that was subconsciously planted in our heads during the Paul Pressler era, when he tried to find a marketing theme for each age demographic, and thought grownups were "grumpy Beasts" who "hated" and were "bored with" the parks and dreamed about being Cruella DeVille? (Before PP, Fantasmic was originally envisioned as just a general World of Color pageant of Disney scenes, with a lot less Frollo and Ratcliffe.)
Also, have to remember, this would be during the contentious early-00's, when most of the Pressler complaints were dumped straight on Eisner's already loaded doorstep by default, and the pop-cultural Eisner-bashing made it seem "funnier" to joke about "Yeah, wouldn't it be cool to have Captain Hook shoot all the Small World dolls with a cannon, and Maleficent surround the Castle with thorns?"...In addition to all the Tim-boiz (there were a lot more back then) who wanted the whole park to be turned into Nightmare Before Christmas.

Disneydreamer23

I like NF take out Mermaid put some thing else Little Mermaid looks like they just needed to fill the spot quick to me. I don't hold it to DISNEY standards.

CP_alum08

Also, a Disney Villains attraction could be the "Potter Swatter" TDO has (reportedly) been looking for (forget Avatar. I daresay most people already have).
I honestly don't believe Disney has a "potter swatter" franchise EXCEPT for marvel...and I don't think marvel has a place at MK.

Slightly off topic I know :)

Magenta Panther

Uh, how much of that is ACTUAL Disney fan thought, and how much of that was subconsciously planted in our heads during the Paul Pressler era, when he tried to find a marketing theme for each age demographic, and thought grownups were "grumpy Beasts" who "hated" and were "bored with" the parks and dreamed about being Cruella DeVille? (Before PP, Fantasmic was originally envisioned as just a general World of Color pageant of Disney scenes, with a lot less Frollo and Ratcliffe.)
Also, have to remember, this would be during the contentious early-00's, when most of the Pressler complaints were dumped straight on Eisner's already loaded doorstep by default, and the pop-cultural Eisner-bashing made it seem "funnier" to joke about "Yeah, wouldn't it be cool to have Captain Hook shoot all the Small World dolls with a cannon, and Maleficent surround the Castle with thorns?"...In addition to all the Tim-boiz (there were a lot more back then) who wanted the whole park to be turned into Nightmare Before Christmas.

I think it's an established fact that Disney has created/adapted some incredibly memorable, even iconic, villains. Maleficent (in both her human and dragon forms), Jafar, the Queen from Snow White, Lady Tremaine, Scar, Chernobog, Stromboli, Captain Hook, just to name a few. Walt wasn't afraid to mix light with dark, so why shouldn't that darkness be represented in New Fantasyland in a meaningful, entertaining way? I'm not talking about targeting or demographics. Potter appeals to all ages, and so does Disney. But maybe Disney needs to develop all aspects of its creations for its parks in order to appeal to all ages. That would be better than bringing in outside, non-Disney created/adapted junk like Marvel or Avatar. Disney Parks don't need that stuff IMO. They just need to be MORE Disney. As the successful rebuilding of DCA proved...

Magenta Panther

I honestly don't believe Disney has a "potter swatter" franchise EXCEPT for marvel...and I don't think marvel has a place at MK.

Not really. But Marvel...come on. Marvel has crap villains. Doctor Octopus and the Green Goblin? LAME. Maleficent and Jafar could totally kick their cans. Part of Potter's appeal is that it has an eldritch, slightly sinister flavor. Disney has that too, but the parks don't focus on it much. Maybe they should. That's all I'm suggesting.

Thrill

Here goes my Fantasyland expansion within some degree of reason. It's expensive, but stays within Disney's bounds of things they would actually build (i.e. there are meet and greets and I'm not building a ride based on something out-there).
The no-brainers:
- Gut Toontown completely, and level the Speedway (Tomorrowland would keep about half of the Speedway's footprint, give or take). This opens up a lot of land to work with.
- Full overhaul for Peter Pan's Flight
- Philarmagic upgrades (perhaps a Star Wars 2-style randomized set-up; this is a bit challenging given the flow of the movie, but is probably do-able with some work)
- Leave the Beauty and the Beast area pretty much as it was built; Be Our Guest is wonderful, and I see the appeal of the Belle's tales thingy; move its location if needed, but the content is fine
- Drop Little Mermaid, not because it's a bad ride (it's a fine Fantasyland ride), but because it's a clone

There are a few things that still need to be addressed:
- Snow White's Scary Adventures, it's a smalll world, and Dumbo
- Some kind of presence for other princesses; particularly those from The Little Mermaid, Tangled, and Frozen
- Something original would be nice
- Meet-and-greet location

So here goes my attempt at fixing the last few things:
- Rebuild a proper it's a small world; I want a full exterior facade, at the very least
- Thanks to the relocated it's a small world, a larger Rapunzel's tower could also house a meet-and-greet
- Have a rebuilt Snow White in a Fantasy Forest mini-land, putting the other princess meet-and-greets over the existing Snow White ride
- Frozen dark ride
- With some smart Imagineering, dueling Dumbos can be done without building out a full circus land and without ruining sightlines; after all, I'm gutting basically everything

I like Be Our Guest for what it is, and the Belle attraction has grown on me. The Mine Train looks pretty decent. Mermaid is kind of a bust (hope the new upgrades will successfully address its failings). As for new stuff, I still think a Frozen attraction, with an Ice Palace and a dark ride and falling snow, would be great, and a major expansion and rebuild of Peter Pan's Flight would be awesome. Also, a Disney Villains attraction could be the "Potter Swatter" TDO has (reportedly) been looking for (forget Avatar. I daresay most people already have). The Bald Mountain idea should be resurrected into a dark ride featuring most of the iconic Disney villains. Chernobog could be perched on top of it in giant AA form, growling down at everybody (epic coolness). The part of the area it's built in could be the flip side of the Enchanted Forest - a Haunted Forest. Wow, I get chills just thinking about this. Disney's villains are just as memorable as its heroes. It's time something was done with them for the parks.

I actually really like Be Our Guest, and I think that The Little Mermaid is fine for what it is - a Fantasyland dark ride. As for the villain's attraction, I like the idea, but I feel the best spot for this is in Hollywood Studios, which has a pretty low-draw animation area and needs ride help as it stands. To me, Fantasyland is built around lower-end dark rides, and that's its charm. The expansion should build on that with improved atmosphere and a couple of new attractions (though nothing too out-of-place).

erasure fan1

I would say Star Wars would be more of a "Potter swatter" than Marvel but it has no place in the parks except the studios. A full blown Star Wars land would trump anything Potter in my opinion.

As for Fantasy Land, I just wish we would have got a real expansion. We really only got a new place to eat. I think I would have been happy with 1 new major attraction and the 2 replacements we got.

CP_alum08

I would say Star Wars would be more of a "Potter swatter" than Marvel but it has no place in the parks except the studios. A full blown Star Wars land would trump anything Potter in my opinion.
If it was done well, I'd agree with that. If it was done like NFL, I don't think so.

I think Star Wars has more of a longevity factor, whereas Marvel is super popular right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom