Your thoughts: Pandora better at nighttime or daytime?

Pandora better at nighttime or daytime?

• Night

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Day

Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters

djkidkaz

Original Poster
I know the evening hours have been a big selling feature of Pandora so I'm curious for people that have seen both what time of day did you prefer to be in the area?

mergatroid

People are saying it's not as spectacular at night as they'd expected, mainly saying the colours aren't as bright and vivid as they'd hoped. Only seen videos myself but it has been repeated by quite a few. They're not saying it's bad, just not quite as spectacular as they'd hoped?

Dizney Crew

Night time was a MAJOR disappointment, especially after all the hype. If the whole land was lit up like when you first enter the land from Tiffins it would be a lot better the walkway looks cool, but the area by the rides and restaurant looks like a typical Disney park nothing spectacular. Day time makes the land look a lot larger also as you get really good views of the forced perspective which adds to the land. Day time gets my vote.

beertiki

Night was a let down. As someone who really knows how to use a camera in low light situations, including UV photos of fluorescence in corals, I was excited. Nothing I saw looked like the pictures I had seen. It was much darker. Yes, I could manipulate my camera and get some images that are better than what my eyes see in real life, but that is cheating. No different than if I was diving in green water and made it to look clear and blue. We had two nights planned for Pandora, but went to MK for the second.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I know the evening hours have been a big selling feature of Pandora so I'm curious for people that have seen both what time of day did you prefer to be in the area?

It's possible the bioluminescence will make you sick, and it's nothing more than some black lights and paint. For those reasons, my opinion is that daytime is better. Yes, I've visited both during the day and after dark.

beertiki

I just loaded some pictures on to my tablet. All of them are too blue. A yellow gel filter would be needed to get some of the photos I saw posted before the opening.

For those curious about what I was using. Olympus EM10, Rokinon 12mm F2.0, proline travel Tripod.

twebber55

i think its a matter of expectations
i went in with high expectations last night and was somewhat disappointed, the others in my group had no expectations and loved it. also heard others talking around us like this was the greatest thing disney has ever done

discos

I've only experienced Pandora during the day but after seeing all the detail of the land during the day I realized you'd probably miss a lot of that detail at night. The nice thing with the queue for Flight of Passage is that a nice chunk of it is themed to nighttime inside the mountain, giving you the bioluminescence look you'd normally see outside in the evening.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I don't know if they're finished with the lighting yet. It does feel darker than it should with having lights everywhere, so I wonder if they're still tweaking things. I've heard various reports of things being different on different nights.

Also, the concept art made it seem like there would be more "movement" in the plants and stuff but it's 99% static, so maybe that's part of the disappointment.

Dizney Crew

Is the bio luminescence on the ground disappointing or on the floating miuntains?

I would say on the ground, outside of the entrance to the land there isn't really any really any effect that grabs your attention. And even the so-called Bio luminescence ground looks just like glow in the dark paint splattered on a sidewalk with black lights shining on them. the "floating mountains" look better in person than in pics, in pics they just look like Big Rocks with Vines on them, in person, especially when standing underneath them, you get a cool floating effect that works.

twebber55

i dont understand why they cant make the trees in the land look the trees surrounding ROL at night
it looks good
like i said i was disappointed my group of 14 loved it (its all expectations)

djkidkaz

Original Poster
Is the bio luminescence on the ground disappointing or on the floating miuntains?

The floating mountains just have purple lights on them and it's not very bright. The stuff on the ground is also just not very bright which I think is the big issue. When you watch the movie and even see the way things look in the river journey it's all so vibrant, as you would expect with CGI and using black lights and fluorescent paint. But outside somehow the effect just doesn't pop as you would expect it too. Everything seems very muted.

Who knows, maybe it's not done.

FoP is frickin amaze-balls by the way.

twebber55

The floating mountains just have purple lights on them and it's not very bright. The stuff on the ground is also just not very bright which I think is the big issue. When you watch the movie and even see the way things look in the river journey it's all so vibrant, as you would expect with CGI and using black lights and fluorescent paint. But outside somehow the effect just doesn't pop as you would expect it too. Everything seems very muted.

Who knows, maybe it's not done.

FoP is frickin amaze-balls by the way.
agreed on all accounts

Oddysey

I like both but you can see more details during the day. They are each unique in their own ways.

This post mostly mirrors my thoughts. I enjoy the daytime more because one can really appreciate all the detail that was put into the land. Pandora is definitely worth seeing at night because of all the bioluminescent effects, but overall the area is very dark and it is difficult to appreciate the detail. To sum it up, in the daytime I was "wowed" by Pandora, and at night I thought it was "neat," but I was not similarly "wowed."

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Personally I think both night and day are great. You can see more details in the daytime, but I actually don't mind that the lighting is kind of dim - it made it feel like a true alien forest and not a theme park land designed for photographs. The floating islands should probably glow more though.

nelsonj3

Night was a let down. As someone who really knows how to use a camera in low light situations, including UV photos of fluorescence in corals, I was excited. Nothing I saw looked like the pictures I had seen. It was much darker. Yes, I could manipulate my camera and get some images that are better than what my eyes see in real life, but that is cheating. No different than if I was diving in green water and made it to look clear and blue. We had two nights planned for Pandora, but went to MK for the second.
I absolutely agree. I don't have a low light camera, and video that I took on my iPhone 6S (that takes outstanding video during the day) was so dark, it was almost pointless, and I can film in Tomorrowland at night with no issues with this phone. Not sure why they didn't do more with the lighting in Pandora. A huge missed opportunity, in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom