YOUR OPINION WOULD MEAN A LOT TO ME....OKW vs All Star

andrelaplume

Original Poster
Sounds weird I know. We are not Rockefellers but are fortunate enough to return to Disney. Last time 3 of use used a friend's timeshare at OKW; a deluxe villa. We couldn't have been happier.

This time there will be 4 adults. I am concerned the deluxe will be a little too close for 4; especially with only one bathroom, commode etc. We were trying to get something with two baths. We are fortunate enough to be able to rent for $7 a point! Still, to get an OKW 2BdRm villa w/2 baths gets pricey (I know in reality its a great deal at $7 per point)

So we could try for2 deluxe villas - - but we'd want them to be close to one another, or a 1 bedroom villa...still only one commode area but at least a couple of places to get ready I guess. Or go all out with a 2 bedroom villa which seems like a little overkill...but everyone gets an actual real bed and we have 2 baths. The other option is to book 2 All Star rooms, perhaps connecting.

Ironically, 2 all star rooms actually cost more than the OKW 2 bedroom, by my estimation (at say $140 a night or $280 for two rooms vs OKW 2BDRM $220 @ $7 per point) So why even consider such a move....

Well, someone mentioned that if we pay full price for 2 All Star rooms; again $140 per night roughly per room, we might get a free basic dining plan that I believe is values at $50 pp per day....ie I'd have no free food for 4 for our trip....a minimal saving to use of maybe $700...we are not big eaters though...and may not take advantage of the plan...

I am not sure what makes the most sense to do.. The trip is in December...All Stars has free food, everyone gets a bed and bathroom, OKW 2 bedroom, again everyone gets a bed/bath but no free food but certainly more room to spread out,,,or OKW 1 Bedroom....perhaps the latter is even the best compromise at $157 a night..

Thoughts...

-Laplume

carriebeth

i am pretty sure the free dining promotion is expired and no longer bookable for this year. Even if it is not expired, at this late date after its release i highly highly doubt you would be able to get a room, much less two rooms that are open in a value resort.

DisneyPrincess5

If I were in your position, I personally would choose the Old Key West option. If it's affordable enough for you and your party and you have the opportunity to stay there, go for it! @carriebeth spoke about the dining, which I am not well versed in, but it sounds like it's expired so your best bet is OKW here.

CaptainAmerica

Are you four single people, one couple with two single people, or two couples? If you're four single people, I'd go with the two All Star rooms so everyone is sleeping on a real bed.

andrelaplume

Original Poster
Wow...did not know dining plan was evenoffered yet or could sell out...thought the deals came late August....we got old key West but just barely...almost no dvc availability.... wow...I thought Dec was a low peak month till Xmas! Hope lines are not long week of December 11...

kimberlymautz

I would choose Old Key West. Any free dining is long gone by now (last year I called the day after it was released and all of the value resorts were already completely booked booked up) and even then I don't know if DVC members are eligible for it, not sure how ito works if you're renting points.
I've stayed at OKW and at value resorts and my only complaint with OKW is that depending on where your room is there are a lot of times that the buses would be already full by the time they got to our stop so we'd end up waiting quite some time (our stop was the furthest away).

Minthorne

Wow...did not know dining plan was evenoffered yet or could sell out...thought the deals came late August....we got old key West but just barely...almost no dvc availability.... wow...I thought Dec was a low peak month till Xmas! Hope lines are not long week of December 11...

For DVC early December is one of the hardest times to book. Low point cost and holiday decorations make it appealing to people.

DisneyPrincess5

For DVC early December is one of the hardest times to book. Low point cost and holiday decorations make it appealing to people.
Plus people have caught on over the past many years that it's a historically slow time. Then they all started going then... and when everyone starts going during a slow time, it ceases to be a slow time. So sad!

correcaminos

Plus people have caught on over the past many years that it's a historically slow time. Then they all started going then... and when everyone starts going during a slow time, it ceases to be a slow time. So sad!
For DVC it has always been one of the busiest times to book though. They have meetings the first week for members and they also have the lowest points. It's always been tough, and particularly for studios. The crowds have increased, but it hasn't affected DVC bookings as a whole then. It's always been bad.

@andrelaplume I am a huge fan of OKW and would pick it in a heart beat over All Stars - been to both and they are world's apart. What type of room depends on the breakdown of the people. The studios have 2 queens beds (not a sleeper sofa). The 2 bedrooms are HUGE and would be like living in a house for a week. The 1 bedrooms have 1 bed, one queen pull out sofa and one really comfy sleeper chair (2 beds have that too but also 2 queens in the 2nd bedroom). The trip to Disney Springs is nice and honestly the staff at OKW has always been nothing but wonderful to us. So if prices are similar or even a little more for OKW I'd stay there, no questions asked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom