Your most challenging weather conditions on a Disney run?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just wondering what your most challenging weather conditions have been on a Disney run?

GoofyFan1

This past Marathon when the temperature in Florida was 19 degrees at race start. That was 19 degrees without the wind chill factored in. Not as bad though, as the day before with rain, sleet and snow for the half.

lukacseven

I actually thought the 2010 marathon was worse than the half. Although there was sleet/snow for the half, the actually temps and subsequent wind chill were not as cold. I think the shorter distance and the precipitation braced me better for the conditions. For the marathon, the sun came out, but the wind was brutal and temps never got into the 40's. After the half, I was merely wet/cold. After the marathon, the sweat on my clothes had turned to ice. This was the most challenging race I've ever ran - anywhere.

In comparison, the 2007 WDW marathon temps were 89 degrees and humid at the start.

mraphael

the 2010 half conditions were brutal! Standing outside for 2 HOURS before actually running didn't help either. But, I got lots of clothes from Goodwill and shed them along the course once I got going. I was chilled to the bone once I finished, but the handwarmers I picked up at the expo were the best ever!

dreamfinder

Hands down, 2010 marathon weekend. Personally though, the half was worse. That was cold the whole time, the full warmed nicely towards the end, made for good running weather.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
19 degrees wouldn't really bother me...other than the fact it shouldn't be 19 in Florida.

My Turkey Trot last year was done totally in temps below 10 degrees.

It's a matter of being dressed for the conditions.

Blueliner

I'm signed up for the Wine & Dine. My only other Disney race was the 2007 Marathon.

It sounds like we had the opposite conditions of 2010. It was foggy, warm and humid at the start, about 70 degrees as I recall.

The out and back on Osceola Parkway at about miles 20-22 were pretty brutal. By the time I got there, the sun and heat had burned off the fog and humidity. I imagine that same stretch was pretty unforgiving in the cold.

dreamfinder

The out and back on Osceola Parkway at about miles 20-22 were pretty brutal. By the time I got there, the sun and heat had burned off the fog and humidity. I imagine that same stretch was pretty unforgiving in the cold.

Thats just the worst part of that course hands down. It is so hard to just see a stream of runners heading in the opposite direction. I think the pacers know it to as they provided more encouragement during that one stretch than any other part of the race.

Phonedave

Thats just the worst part of that course hands down. It is so hard to just see a stream of runners heading in the opposite direction. I think the pacers know it to as they provided more encouragement during that one stretch than any other part of the race.

There is a 5k by me that has a short (maybe 1/4 mile) out and back section.

I hate those. Nothing worse than making the turn onto that section and seeing people already heading off the out and back to the rest of the course.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
This October 2nd race is my first Disney race... but so that I can participate, we had 2 straight days of snow this past year for the Mercedes. Snow in Alabama is rare. I mean very rare. It wasnt 19... but I think it was 30 at start. Still cold, but in no way as brutal as what Disney makes you do. I think I only had to stand outside for about 15-20 minutes at the most.

I also went and spent about $8 on some clothes at the Mission:possible Store to shed at the start line.

MKCP 1985

Sleet in this year's half marathon at the start was crazy. To me, the half weather was much worse than the full marathon the next day, but maybe that was because I knew what to expect. :shrug:

And for all of that, I'd rather be cold than hot, so I'm going back in January to do it again. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom