Your Kids and The Barnstormer

jkl2000

Original Poster
I'm expecting my 4 YO son to be a little hesitant about a lot of the rides at WDW this Fall. I'm sure I can get him on slow rides (he knows he can cover his eyes if he wants) but my wife tried to get on the little kiddy rollercoaster at another amusement park last summer and he knew right away he wasn't into it. So I'm wondering if there's any chance of getting him on The Barnstormer, and if he likes that, being able to get him on something like Soarin'. I'm pretty sure he's over 40" now though I need to double check. He'll actually be abou 4 1/2 when we go.

Anyway, just wondering how your kids (if they're close to 4 or 5) did with the Barnstormer, how that got them ready for other rides, or if there was another "gateway" ride, what was it?

Knothead

My 2 year old loves that ride, but he's the adventurous type. He's already told me many times that he's ready for tower of terror, but I'm not so sure. My 7 year old however is afraid of his own shadow. He refuses to do anything remotely thrilling, and prefers to sit and eat a dole whip and take the sights in. Who wouldn't??

Basically, each kid is different, and the fastest way to ruin a vacation is to try to force someone to experience something they are uncomfortable with. Just take it easy, and soon enough he will be begging YOU to ride with HIM for a change. Best of luck!

copcarguyp71

Back in '06 our DD (then 3) who was rather sheepish about rides in general got hooked on this ride. It is kind of like a "gateway drug" for beginning theme park junkies!!!!:D

Go with your kids input and don't force it but it is a great entry level ride for the next evolution from slow rides and spinners.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We took my almost 3 year old on Flight of the Hippogriff at Universal and she did great. She looked scared the whole way but said she had fun. We asked if she wanted to go again and she said "Maybe next time" Since then she has done other kiddie coaster no problem, but she never wants to go twice. As long as they aren't screaming or crying in fear as we are in line and loading we take the kids on to try it out.

HouCuseChickie

My older daughter (my more timid one) was about 4 1/4 the first time she rode it. It took no convincing to get her on there...and while I was nervous, she loved it...so much so that we rode 2 or 3x right after that first ride. DD4 was 2 at the time and too short...and it was closed on her next trip, but she rode it shortly after her 4th bday this past Nov and loved it. She rode BTMR for the first time just a couple hours after that and loved that as well. So, I think it's a decent primer.

Mawg

My 3 year old did tower of terror, space mountain, thunder mountain and splash mountain at Disneyland. He loved them all and did them multiple times. Teenagers were giving him high fives afterwards for being so brave. However, my 7 year old would not go on Splash Mountain or Tower of Terror as he has a fear of drops. It's different for every kid. Going to Disney World in 4 days, they are so excited!

DRC68

When we were there in August '10, my DD had just turned 3 in June. She made the height and i sat with her. Pretty sure she held her breath the entire ride...while smiling! I was way more afraid for her than she was. This past July, just after turning the big 0h-five, she wanted to go on Splash Mtn., then BTMRR! Next day...she begged to go on Everest..TWICE...in a row! Arms up screaming the whole time! Needless to say, I have a new riding buddy! Forgot...she loved ToT even more!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
When we were there in August '10, my DD had just turned 3 in June. She made the height and i sat with her. Pretty sure she held her breath the entire ride...while smiling! I was way more afraid for her than she was. This past July, just after turning the big 0h-five, she wanted to go on Splash Mtn., then BTMRR! Next day...she begged to go on Everest..TWICE...in a row! Arms up screaming the whole time! Needless to say, I have a new riding buddy! Forgot...she loved ToT even more!

Yeah, that's what I used this for. To test out my kid's "coaster legs". If she didn't like Barnstormer, no way would I even suggest the more intense rides (assuming she is tall enough, which she was at 5 for all but RnR, which she couldn't do until last year.

But, now she's addicted to coasters. She was upset at Universal when she couldn't do Rip Rocket or Hulk. At age 7! That's my girl!

popcenturylover

I'm expecting my 4 YO son to be a little hesitant about a lot of the rides at WDW this Fall. I'm sure I can get him on slow rides (he knows he can cover his eyes if he wants) but my wife tried to get on the little kiddy rollercoaster at another amusement park last summer and he knew right away he wasn't into it. So I'm wondering if there's any chance of getting him on The Barnstormer, and if he likes that, being able to get him on something like Soarin'. I'm pretty sure he's over 40" now though I need to double check. He'll actually be abou 4 1/2 when we go.

Anyway, just wondering how your kids (if they're close to 4 or 5) did with the Barnstormer, how that got them ready for other rides, or if there was another "gateway" ride, what was it?
DD was just a month shy of 4 on our last visit to WDW. She rode the Barnstormer ,(AKA Goofy's rollercoaster) Soarin', HM, Splash Mnt., BTMRR, & many others although the latter two she did not care for.

jkl2000

Original Poster
Yeah, that's what I used this for. To test out my kid's "coaster legs". If she didn't like Barnstormer, no way would I even suggest the more intense rides (assuming she is tall enough, which she was at 5 for all but RnR, which she couldn't do until last year.

But, now she's addicted to coasters. She was upset at Universal when she couldn't do Rip Rocket or Hulk. At age 7! That's my girl!

Yeah, that's what I wanted to use it for too. I'd never expect him to ride a more intense coaster or thrill ride if he wasn't comfortable with this one first (or something similar). BUT, I think he'd like rides like Soarin' but I want to get him comfortable with a ride that's a little bit scary looking but that he can "conquer." I haven't been on Soarin' yet, but from what I've read it might look a little intimidating, and it's probably hard to grasp what the ride is like until riding it.

The dark rides, too, I think he'd like, but I expect him to be a bit hesitant to get on them. PotC, for example, and Peter Pan. Once he feels safe on them he'll probably be good for most rides. I actually think a key ride for him will be Jungle Cruise, because it won't scare him, just fascinate him. So once he's gone on that we can just tell him PotC or Haunted Mansion are basically the same, just in the dark.

RedBaron

The last time we went my son was 3 and my daughter was 6. My son said he liked Barnstormer, but did not necessarily want to go on again, but my daughter would have gone on again and again. I am anxious to see what he thinks when we go in August. He will be 6. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom