Your Dream Park Expansion

britdaw

Original Poster
Let's pretend that YOU got chosen to come up with the concept for an expansion in your favorite WDW park! What would you put in? Annnnd GO!

Me? Instead of the Avatar world being added to Animal Kingdom, I'd theme it after Disney's own animal-themed movies, such as "The Jungle Book" and "Tarzan". There would be a new "Tarzan"-themed ride that simulates the way he moves through the trees, and maybe a recreation of the amazing ruins that King Louie and the other monkeys inhabit in TJB.

What about you?

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I'm going to say a facelift to Epcot, Everything before the showcase lagoon is dated. It doesn't have to be all torn down but the rides and shows are from the 1980s and its showing its age. I mean they still have Captain EO playing.

mavlax20

While I agree that Epcot needs it, so does Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. I am still not a fan of Avatar being part of WDW, but I can't change that. I would try to implement the plans that were discussed with Beastly Kingdom as part of AK, BUT....I would give it to HS and expand the park, add in the Star Wars and Pixar sections, make them pretty big, thus HS becomes a full day park, but one that people will visit multiple times over the course of a 7+ day long trip. Then, after that is completed (and I would put teams on the job, enough to complete the HS expansion in less than 3 years, I would concentrate on updating Epcot. I feel that updating a 1/2 day park before a full day park would be priority so that gives more options for people to go during expansion. But that is just me

DarthVader

Sith Lord
While I agree that Epcot needs it, so does Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.
Agreed it really doesn't fit the theme of that park, and yeah we can't do anything about it. I suspect Disney is looking to increase visitors to that park. My kids don't really care for AK and we'll probably skip that park the next time we go.

.I would give it to HS and expand the park, add in the Star Wars and Pixar sections
I think they are moving to refurbish HS, whether that's to really increase Star Wars and Pixar I can't say but they are working to update that park

mavlax20

maflynn, Disney has got to be feeling heat since Harry Potter opened at Universal. Now they have the 2nd addition to HP and a Simpsons section that have come up, and all Disney has done is expand Fantasyland. I think that Disney is seeing that more people are splitting their vacation between the two parks instead of their time at one. I honestly have never been to Universal, but I want to go, more thrill rides, Harry Potter, stuff like that. One thing that does confuse me is that Disney still moves at a snail's pace to finish their rides. For example: How long after the New Fantasyland opened was the SDMT still under construction? When my wife and I went in 2013, it was still under construction, and I believe it was almost a year after that before it officially opened. I know that I'm not the only one that gets frustrated with the pace that work is being done. Is it that Disney doesn't hire enough people, or should they maybe try to do different shifts, such as a day team and a night team, so getting almost non-stop work being done? I don't know, but let's say they announce the expansion of HS at D23 next month. Are they going to try to have it completed by 2021 for the 50th Anniversary of WDW? That would be 4 years...how much more will be added at Universal in that time? Maybe a 3rd expansion to HP for sure.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Disney has got to be feeling heat since Harry Potter opened at Universal
Agreed, and that's good news for us vacationers, i.e., competition is a good thing.
I think that Disney is seeing that more people are splitting their vacation between the two parks instead of their time at one
Yes, but Disney always had this issue, Whether we're talking about SeaWorld or when Universal first opened up, or expanded to the second park. Yes, the HP stuff represents a huge change in the competition, for once we see Universal creating a viable incentive to attract people.

blueboxdoctor

AK would get the fantasy creature theme it was originally intended for. Mainly because dragons are and always will be awesome. There's just no denying that, and fantasy animals are a timeless theme whereas Avatar is a fad that has basically passed and been overshadowed by Disney's own Marvel movies and most likely Star Wars later this year.

EPCOT should have a big tech expo all year round. Get the big companies to take over Innoventions and actually make it innovative and up-to-date (if GM can show off their average vehicle lineup then I think they can justify getting some tech companies to show off their products). Yeah, it'll be like a giant store but so what? Technology is clearly moving too fast for EPCOT to keep up, why not bring in some companies to bring in the latest tech that people like to use and mess around with?

Hollywood Studios needs some major attention. From what I can gather, the American Idol thing is closed so that whole strip with the Drew Carey show is empty, so put something there. The courtyard around Ariel's show (the one you take to get to the character meet and greet area and some of the drawing stuff, which that part with all the production stills and concept art is pretty cool) is kind of boring, so update that. The whole city street stage setup is great at night during Christmas time, but the rest of the year it is kind of empty. At the very least maybe put in some shops down that end instead of it being all fake storefronts? And maybe consider changing Indiana Jones for something more modern. I like Indiana Jones as much as the next person, but things have to be updated over time, especially movie related things.

MK, not much really. Maybe keep the noodle station at the entrance of Tomorrowland open all the time, cause it's sort of weird with this big, empty area. Oh, and open Aunt Polly's again, thank you.

Matt_Black

I also would add to DAK, but instead of going the straight mythological route, I'd go with cryptozoological animals to expand on what's already been established with Expedition Everest. A ride or two, like a dark ride that takes you "underneath the waters" to see various lake monsters like Nessie or Ogopogo. Beefed up with exhibits and such detailing actual cryptozoological studies with, if possible, a section meant to emulate that one region of Vietnam where scientists are continually discovering previously undocumented species, and big ones too, like deer and oxen, possibly with animals from that region if that's feasible.

britdaw

Original Poster
I also would add to DAK, but instead of going the straight mythological route, I'd go with cryptozoological animals to expand on what's already been established with Expedition Everest. A ride or two, like a dark ride that takes you "underneath the waters" to see various lake monsters like Nessie or Ogopogo. Beefed up with exhibits and such detailing actual cryptozoological studies with, if possible, a section meant to emulate that one region of Vietnam where scientists are continually discovering previously undocumented species, and big ones too, like deer and oxen, possibly with animals from that region if that's feasible.

Oooh I love the idea of a water ride at AK that would showcase something like Nessie!! That would be amazing!

britdaw

Original Poster
I'd add more Pixar related attractions to Disney Hollywood Studios.
Yes. I think the "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" park would be better suited for "A Bug's Life". Today's kids probably haven't even hard of HISTK.

I would also love to see maybe a replica of the "Up" house that you could walk through. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom