Pre-Trip Your country just turned 150 - what are you going to do? I AM GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!!!

Hello All

As the title suggest the Max family is going back to Disneyland:):):):)

(I know the country birthday thing doesn't make sense but if Superbowl MVPs can go to Disneyland - so can I !!)

upload_2017-7-26_22-11-2.png

High level plan:
Arrive on Saturday August 26, spend 4 days at DLR, then drive to San Diego for 4 days of relaxation and beach time!!

( A ginger on a beach - Lobster time!!)

So before I go into the details I want to take the time to tag some of the wonderful people on this board who have been so nice to me.

You put up with my bad jokes, sarcasm, really bad puns, typing errors and apparently love watching me lose discussion board fights with @Tuvalu

So here comes the list (in no particular order) - I hope I was able to get everyone

@LisaBelle @RedNoseMickey @abzoo @samantha788 @Kiwiduck @Sheriff Woody @Tuvalu @TrolleyFollower91 @Woodywrkr @Zipitidoda @MinnieM123 @bee @wdisney9000 @Courtney6682 @DisneyBound2017 @Laurenciaa @Vivian_apfm @Plowboy @Missy_May @dmatt87 @blgauger @becca_ @PacNWTigger @ajrwdwgirl @Doc Disney @DonnaOnTheRocks @Mr Ferret 88 @fractal @Swissmiss @dizfan917 @Ciara @Songbird76 @TheMouseFan @littleroo @dddisney @prfctlyximprct @Princess Leia @stephmax975 @MiniMax @LadyBelle @21stamps @joshsprincess921 @gdisneyfans @mlegerto @Second Star to the Right @luvinthemajik @MySmallWorldof4 @Monty @Matty30 @Jess G @myhappyplace @gwhb75 @*Flynnderella* @Jae99 @disneyshe @lostpro9het

More details to follow - stay tuned

Hang on to your hats and glasses cuz this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness

Max

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

We love Disneyland. Obviously it's easier and cheaper for us travel to California. We went twice the the year of the 60th anniversary. We have stayed at Paradise Pier once and was lucky enough to stay at the Grand Californian. Now it's been two years since we have been back. Hoping to make it down next year.

Longers

Details, Details, Details
We start with a Throwback Thursday shot from 2006
View attachment 219028

This was from our second trip to Disneyland in August 2006. Our first visit was in August 2005 for the 50th.
As you can see the castle is still decorated in gold - the 50th was a thing for over a year.

WHO:
For those who do not know us we are the Max Family.
My DW goes by T (less typing) circa 2007
View attachment 219030
@Longers - this BTMRR shot is for you!!

and Indiana Jones in 2007
View attachment 219035

DD 22 is S (@stephmax975 ) This one is 2006 USH
View attachment 219031

And at Mr Toad's Wild Ride in 2007
View attachment 219036

DD 20 is C(@MiniMax ) 2007 the original California letters at the entrance to DCA
View attachment 219037

And on Alice dark ride in 2007
View attachment 219038

A more recent family shot in 2015
View attachment 219039

So a little background / update on the clan.

S has graduated from university with a Bachelor of Music Therapy. She is currently working at a summer camp and will be starting her internship in September (1000 hours) and then writing her exam to be certified.

C is finishing 2nd yr of Biomedical engineering ( Coop program so school term during the summer) and will start her next work term the day after Labour Day.

T is a public health nurse who has the last 2 weeks of August off on vacation.

And I am an engineering manager at a Toyota plant here in Ontario Canada and I also have the last 2 weeks of August off.

WHEN:
For the last 3 years we have enjoyed a Disney Christmas vacation ( WDW in 14 and 16, DLR in 15)
Alas the streak must end this year with my work over Christmas starting to peak.

So after much delay ( exam schedules, work schedules, etc) we decided on the last week of August.

This will be trip # 10 to DLR since 2005 ( we missed some years and doubled up on others).

and T loves San Diego so after not being there since 2010 it was time to go back

That's it for now
More details to follow

Max

Thanks for BTMRR shot - it seems everyone wants to remind me how much I miss it - but now in double digits until I return :) hoorah.

Looking forward to hearing about Disneyland having never been before! Following along

75disney

East coast US here. We are going to San Diego on 8/15 and then DL on 8/20. We leave for home the day you arrive. DH and I went to both places 18 years ago. A lot has changed since then. First trip for the girls. It might be another 18 years before I make it back so we definitely want to make the most of this trip. Looking forward to your trip report... It will help fuel my own excitement and help me relive my trip afterwards. Thanks!

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
East coast US here. We are going to San Diego on 8/15 and then DL on 8/20. We leave for home the day you arrive. DH and I went to both places 18 years ago. A lot has changed since then. First trip for the girls. It might be another 18 years before I make it back so we definitely want to make the most of this trip. Looking forward to your trip report... It will help fuel my own excitement and help me relive my trip afterwards. Thanks!
Sounds great - where are you staying in SD and Anaheim?

(and based on timing you should be doing your TR first!!!)

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for BTMRR shot - it seems everyone wants to remind me how much I miss it - but now in double digits until I return :) hoorah.

Looking forward to hearing about Disneyland having never been before! Following along
Not meaning to rub it in your face - just trying to keep you excited for your trip.
DLR would be an extra long flight for you and your family but I think you should try it sometime.

I know you also like ice cream so maybe a combination of favourites in is order.

I challenge you to eat ice cream while riding BTMRR!!

Max

Figaro Family

Well depending on where you are it probably will cost more than a trip to WDW.
The Disney portion might be less ( you can do most of it in 3 days) and then have time to explore sunny SoCal.
For us the plane flight is usually an extra 150 per person

But, (and it is a big but)

Note: That is but with only 1 T (keep it PG out there - #babygotback)

Disneyland is Walt's park - He put his heart and soul into it (and every penny he and Roy had or could borrow)
It opened in 1955 and his opening address is priceless and timeless.

View attachment 219503

As most know he left us in 1966 ( I was a baby at the time).
Although he was involved in the land purchase and early planning he never set foot in an operating Florida park.

So the history, the magic and the nostalgia that you feel as you walk under the railroad tracks, see sleeping beauty's castle and look up at the fire house is real

And hits hard.

Max
We always go to the fire house first thing on our visits to Disneyland. We take pictures on the fire wagon and think about the office upstairs. It's an amazing feeling. On my son's first visit to Magic Kingdom he made a beeline for the fire house there and was very sad that it's not the same.

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
We always go to the fire house first thing on our visits to Disneyland. We take pictures on the fire wagon and think about the office upstairs. It's an amazing feeling. On my son's first visit to Magic Kingdom he made a beeline for the fire house there and was very sad that it's not the same.
Great story
Thanks for sharing!
Max

hanwill

I'm from the southeast US and I am looking forward to your observations about all of CA. We went this spring, and loved it. I remember thinking before we went that I could never really picture places in CA and compare them to FL because I could not visualize any of it... So now, that I will be able to visualize where you are inside the park, I am excited to hear about your trip. Have a wonderful trip!

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm from the southeast US and I am looking forward to your observations about all of CA. We went this spring, and loved it. I remember thinking before we went that I could never really picture places in CA and compare them to FL because I could not visualize any of it... So now, that I will be able to visualize where you are inside the park, I am excited to hear about your trip. Have a wonderful trip!
Thank you for following along
I will do my best to show the park to you through my report

Max

75disney

Sounds great - where are you staying in SD and Anaheim?

(and based on timing you should be doing your TR first!!!)

Max
I know I should do a trip report but the kids and I go right back to school (I'm a teacher) when we return so it might be awhile before I have time to do it.

In SD, we are staying at the Catamaran Resort on Mission Bay. It reminds of WDW's Polynesian. There is so much to do at the resort that my kids won't want to leave the resort to do all of the activities we have planned for San Diego. In Anaheim, we are staying off site at the Howard Johnson. I wanted to stay at the DLH, but my husband bulked at the cost. I chose the HoJo for the water playground for the kids. I also booked a Disney view room so I will hopefully be able to see the Mattethorn from my room. I am not planning on being at the hotel too much anyway since I plan on being in the parks all day (I feel like I am rationalizing so I don't get too bummed about not staying at DLH). On our non-park day, we are doing an all day LA and Warner Bros. Studio tour.
Enjoy the Grand Californian. You are so lucky!

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
I know I should do a trip report but the kids and I go right back to school (I'm a teacher) when we return so it might be awhile before I have time to do it.

In SD, we are staying at the Catamaran Resort on Mission Bay. It reminds of WDW's Polynesian. There is so much to do at the resort that my kids won't want to leave the resort to do all of the activities we have planned for San Diego. In Anaheim, we are staying off site at the Howard Johnson. I wanted to stay at the DLH, but my husband bulked at the cost. I chose the HoJo for the water playground for the kids. I also booked a Disney view room so I will hopefully be able to see the Mattethorn from my room. I am not planning on being at the hotel too much anyway since I plan on being in the parks all day (I feel like I am rationalizing so I don't get too bummed about not staying at DLH). On our non-park day, we are doing an all day LA and Warner Bros. Studio tour.
Enjoy the Grand Californian. You are so lucky!
The hotel on Mission Bay sounds great.
We are staying in SD at the.... (wait I haven't reveal that yet - you will have to wait a bit more for that detail!!)

We looked into the HOJO for our first trips to DLR but they were booked.
We ended up at the Candy Cane Inn (yes - real name) for two trips in a row.
It is located on Harbour and is directly behind Carsland in DCA)
Hopefully the google map below helps.
upload_2017-8-1_12-22-13.png

Max

Longers

Not meaning to rub it in your face - just trying to keep you excited for your trip.
DLR would be an extra long flight for you and your family but I think you should try it sometime.

I know you also like ice cream so maybe a combination of favourites in is order.

I challenge you to eat ice cream while riding BTMRR!!

Max
It's fine I didn't take it personally. I literally feel like I've been waiting ages for my trip (which I have) but it's a month before I can book fast passes which makes it feel closer.

You're right it would be a long flight but I didn't think it was as big as WDW and I think everything would be compared now and wouldn't come close for me but will follow along as it will be good to see different things from the Florida trips.

And you know what I love that challenge but I think they would make me finish an ice cream before I'd be able to ride.......
Spoil sports...

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
It's fine I didn't take it personally. I literally feel like I've been waiting ages for my trip (which I have) but it's a month before I can book fast passes which makes it feel closer.

You're right it would be a long flight but I didn't think it was as big as WDW and I think everything would be compared now and wouldn't come close for me but will follow along as it will be good to see different things from the Florida trips.

And you know what I love that challenge but I think they would make me finish an ice cream before I'd be able to ride.......
Spoil sports...
Ice cream not allowed on the ride?
Only if they catch you!!!

The challenge stands

If you choose to hide behind a rule then judgement will be passed

Lol

Max

75disney

The hotel on Mission Bay sounds great.
We are staying in SD at the.... (wait I haven't reveal that yet - you will have to wait a bit more for that detail!!)

We looked into the HOJO for our first trips to DLR but they were booked.
We ended up at the Candy Cane Inn (yes - real name) for two trips in a row.
It is located on Harbour and is directly behind Carsland in DCA)
Hopefully the google map below helps.
View attachment 219940
Max
Considered the Candy Cane Inn as well. It looked really charming and had the free breakfast, but I ultimately chose the HoJo for the pool and Disney view, plus I really liked the whole retro feel to it.

If you say that you are staying at the Del in SD, I will be super jealous. You would be going on my dream trip to SD and Anaheim!

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Details , Details part 3:

Well @75disney is asking so I will let everyone know some more details of the trip.
So we left off with staying at the Grand Cali for the first 4 days of the 8 game trip.

The second half you say - well we are not staying at the Del Coronado
But I have visited it on our last trip in 2012
Here are a few pictures of the very famous hotel that hosted the filming of "Some Like it Hot" which starred Jack Lemon, Tony Curtis and a relative new comer named Marilyn Monroe.
P1050761.JPG
P1050762.JPG
P1050763.JPG
P1050764.JPG
P1050777.JPG
P1050780.JPG

The Usain Bolt pose was the thing to do in 2012 with the Olympics in London a month before.

So if we are not at the Del then where are we staying

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Details cont'd

We have gone to SD a few times and always stay in the same spot
Just north of Mission bay and just south of La Jolla is Pacific Beach - home of the Pacific Terrace Hotel

IMG_1311.JPG
IMG_1389.JPG
IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_5122.JPG
IMG_5134.JPG
IMG_5138.JPG
IMG_5166.JPG

P1020829.JPG
P1020830.JPG
P1020835.JPG

The last one is a man and his beach!

The Pacific Terrace is pretty much right on the beach
A small hotel with only 73 rooms - it has 4 diamond status
We love it (and pay dearly for it)
But you know what they say - you can't take it with you!!

Up next I'll go through the day by day plan and meals

Max

Kiwiduck

You are so right
Back in 2008 ish we had an American on loan to our plant from Kentucky
Normally they make off like bandits when they work up here and still get paid in US dollars
He was not fairing so well with our dollar at or even above par

Older graph but you get the point
View attachment 219515
Will do my best to have fun - your family has a trip coming up right?
I have not seen any updates on your PTR for awhile though ( hint hint)

Max
The NZD is around $.74 at the moment which is the highest it has been for a while. I'm desperately hoping it holds up until my trip in December!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom