YOUR 4th park

Tramp

Original Poster
Rewind 12 years or so.....Imagine yourself, a Disney executive sitting around a huge conference table in Anaheim, and the question is asked of you:

"Ok, we have 3 successful parks in Central Florida. We want to create a 4th park on the West side of the property. What theme or type of park should we build?

(I'm curious if others feel as I do that a "ZOO" would have been the last choice.)

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by Tramp
Rewind 12 years or so.....Imagine yourself, a Disney executive sitting around a huge conference table in Anaheim, and the question is asked of you:

"Ok, we have 3 successful parks in Central Florida. We want to create a 4th park on the West side of the property. What theme or type of park should we build?

(I'm curious if others feel as I do that a "ZOO" would have been the last choice.)

sorry But I feel animal Kiingdom is fine unlike my typing :). I love the place and I think they did a great job with the park. Give it time to add atttractions and such and I'm sure it will top all parks. :)

markymark

Yeah, I have to say Tramp, that AK is great. It's not really a zoo as such is it? I think it's a really nice park, and with a few more additions I am sure it will win more and more people over.

Perhaps 12 years ago, if they had realised IOA was going to arrive, they may have decided to go with a "Coatser Kingdom".

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by markymark
Yeah, I have to say Tramp, that AK is great. It's not really a zoo as such is it? I think it's a really nice park, and with a few more additions I am sure it will win more and more people over.

Perhaps 12 years ago, if they had realised IOA was going to arrive, they may have decided to go with a "Coatser Kingdom".

quit following me lol :) lets hope disney doesnt get a coaster kingdom. iI'm not for that at all.

Tramp

Original Poster

Please don't misunderstand me....I think the AK is a great park too....but would have it been YOUR first choice if you had the power to build the 4th park....

The Animal Kingdom seems out of character with the other theme parks....taking care of mechanical rides is one thing, taking care of wildlife is a different ballgame. Some don't like to call it a ZOO but a 'zoo' is a collection of animals usually for public display...AK may not be your NORMAL zoo by definition, but it's a zoo nonetheless.
I don't see the same degree of enthusiasm when people talk about the AK as I do when they talk about the other three parks and I wonder if it's sub-conscience disappointment in the park.

None of this is important, of course, just a curiousity.

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by Tramp

Please don't misunderstand me....I think the AK is a great park too....but would have it been YOUR first choice if you had the power to build the 4th park....

The Animal Kingdom seems out of character with the other theme parks....taking care of mechanical rides is one thing, taking care of wildlife is a different ballgame. Some don't like to call it a ZOO but a 'zoo' is a collection of animals usually for public display...AK may not be your NORMAL zoo by definition, but it's a zoo nonetheless.
I don't see the same degree of enthusiasm when people talk about the AK as I do when they talk about the other three parks and I wonder if it's sub-conscience disappointment in the park.

None o
this is important, of course, just a curiousity.

hmm maybe u can tell me casue I DONT know. but what did the people think when the other 3 parlks opened up. PLUS I'm not sure when Busch Gardens open up either. But Disney likes to me diffrent from everybody elso. So I think it was a good choice now and in the long run a real good choice. What 4th park would u build? Just curious!

Tramp

Original Poster
Jay-rod...

I would love to see a replication of the old Coney Island or Palisades Park....

wood coasters and a tunnel of love....all with modern technology of course....big band music playing or perhaps 50s or early 60s...
10 cent cokes....and 20 cent hot dogs....

not only would a park like this appeal to the millions of baby boomers and old farts like me, bringing back a ton of memories, but it would be a great historical lesson for future generations so they could see how the old parks were designed....and, at the same time, it would satisfy all the thrill ride seekers who find WDW lacking in this regard....

ahhh....life is great as I sit here humming...."Under the Boardwalk"

Ariel

I think I know what you're saying Tramp...although I do love AK too, I don't know if that would have been top on my list as being a fourth park. I really don't know what I would want to see in a fourth park, although I've always had an interest in mythology and things like that, so maybe some sort of mythical kingom of sorts, bringing in ideas from Greek Mythology (someone had this idea on the boards not too long ago) and unicorns and things of that sort. A park of rides, attractions, etc that are based on things that never existed. I don't know. Just a thought.

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by Ariel
I think I know what you're saying Tramp...although I do love AK too, I don't know if that would have been top on my list as being a fourth park. I really don't know what I would want to see in a fourth park, although I've always had an interest in mythology and things like that, so maybe some sort of mythical kingom of sorts, bringing in ideas from Greek Mythology (someone had this idea on the boards not too long ago) and unicorns and things of that sort. A park of rides, attractions, etc that are based on things that never existed. I don't know. Just a thought.

hmmm ur on! But anyways thats another story, but orginally in animal kingdom there was supposed to be beastly kingdom which contained Unicorns and such. but do u cut back that land was gone out the window and in its place camp minnie and mickey. but theres still hope for BK

dopey

i don't know that ak would be my first choice, but it is a legit choice.

first off, i agree it is a zoo. disney doesn't like calling it a zoo, but it is what it is. besides, if you'll recall, much of the talent they brought in to run the place came from zoos.

that said, ak is an appropriate choice because disney owes its existence to animals. you know that walt quote, "...it all started with a mouse." then "lion king" came out and was a smash hit, confirming what i imagine they had already in the works.

i like ak. i like epcot. i'll bet i'd even like eurodisney (or whatever it's called) and dca. it just seems fashionable to bash the latest disney theme parks because there are soooooo many people who know soooooo much more about creating theme parks than disney.

i'm not saying it's unfair to criticize disney; actually, sometimes it's fun to take a shot at the mouse. but nothing disney does is ever going to top magic kingdom because no other park will be able to generate the emotional attachment millions of people have for the mk. everything else is just derivative. i consider everything outside of mk to be a bonus, which allows me to appreciate everything.

the ideal fourth park? i'm not sure. but it would have to be disney related. lots of people talk about "coaster kingdom." but i can go to six flags for roller coasters. mk represents the idyllic past. epcot represents the future and technology. disney-mgm is the movies and tv. they've got cruise ships and a big video gameroom. pleasure island is geared toward adults....

i got it! how about an anti-disney park! it's similar to the mk except everything is run by the villains. call it disney's divine villadom. you can probably come up with a million ideas off that.

one last thing: tramp, there is no way disney is going to sell 10-cent cokes and 20-cent hot dogs. you seen disney's balance sheet lately?

jay_london

I know that some people are not great fans of AK but I kinda think the concept is a great idea. Like Epcot after a few years of growth and enhancment I think AK will be as loved as the other parks. If I were and Imagineer all those years ago I would have hope that I could have come up with such a forward thinking plan

jay

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Originally posted by dopey

i got it! how about an anti-disney park! it's similar to the mk except everything is run by the villains. call it disney's divine villadom. you can probably come up with a million ideas off that.

Actually that sounds like one of the rumored concepts for the fifth park. It's called Shadowlands. It even is rumored to include a dark and twisted villian castle. :)

Disney Maniac

Originally posted by Eeyore
Actually that sounds like one of the rumored concepts for the fifth park. It's called Shadowlands. It even is rumored to include a dark and twisted villian castle. :)

Are you serious?? Where did you hear that? I don't know about that, it seems to really go against everything Disney stands for, don't you think? It's probably just a legitimate rumor (is there such a thing??:D :D ) that got really warped beyond the point of recognition.

But, hey. Eeyore, if this really does have merit, let me know of any sites that have info on it. I'd actually like to see a park like that, one that's not magical, but one thats not steeped in mystery. Something dark and evil but funny and comical at the same time. You know what I'm sayin'?:) :)

dopey

if the rumor is true that a villains park is under consideration, i think that's great. i know there have been several posts about a villains park, though i admit i haven't read them all, so i confess it's not a very original idea.

but my concept of the villains park being a bad version of the magic kingdom is what i think makes it unique and extremely marketable to both disney fans and the non-believers (mostly teenagers). it calls for high camp and self-depricating humor.

for example, the dark and twisted villain castle that eyeore said is part of shadowlands would make a great park icon.

instead of dumbo, you can have crows (not the singing lads from the movie dumbo, but the fella who hung out with the witch in snow white). the parade could include scar leading a troop of goose-stepping hyenas. a dark ride based on nightmare before christmas or hunchback (traveling through the cathedral of notre dame) would be cool.

somebody -- sorry, i can't remember who -- had a post in the imagineering section about a ride based on monstro. the villains park would be the place for it!

anybody got any other ideas?

DisneyFreak

I think Disney went with AK to draw some of the crowd away from Busch Gardens. Disney up to that point didn't have much along the lines as BG did with the animal attractions. That's why I think the 5th park will be Disney Seas to draw crowds from Sea World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom