Trip Report You'll never guess what happened at Animal Kingdom!

This isn't exactly a vacation report, since I'm a local annual passholder and just dropped in to Animal Kingdom for a couple of hours at night, but this is the only spot it really fits. Yesterday, Saturday August 27th, I was on the nighttime version of Kilimanjaro Safaris, thinking, "This is so exciting!", as I'd never been on in the night time before. We saw various animals and birds gathered up to sleep. Then there were a couple of addax (addaxes?) frolicking. In the dark, they looked like ghosts darting back and forth in front of the vehicle. The driver was making sure not to hit any. Then one addax ran by the transport, slid in the mud, and wound up stuck underneath our vehicle! The driver braked and called in for help. We just sat there, looking down over the poor creature, who was struggling to get himself out. Two game wardens arrived, the addax worked his way free and walked away a little. The passengers applauded and the driver shushed us for making enough noise to wake the animals, but then added sincerely, "I'm glad you're happy." I think the addax was briefly checked out by the wardens to make sure it was okay, then it reunited with its friend addaxes, which everyone found touching and said, "Awww!" I was wound up by the incident; it was on one hand an inconvenience, as I would get home later than planned and miss church the next morning sleeping the excitement off. On the other hand, it was a real life adventure and no one seemed to be hurt. If the poor addax was injured or killed, it would have been traumatic for everyone instead of an adventure. I thought of reporting it to the news, but they might blow it out of proportion, and make it seem like there was a good guy and a bad guy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom