You tear down the Fountain of Nations you might as well remove the Main Street train station

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
@marni1971 Is the plan to add fountains to the water areas between future world and world showcase? Based on that concept art that was released awhile back.

The plan, which @marni1971 said is mostly accurate is the one mentioned by The Site That Can't Be Named. Namely, a water feature/walkway with Moana theming leading to The Seas.

The Empress Lilly

fwthennow1_fountain1983ww.jpg

^^^ When we are nostalgic, it is seldom for 2019 EPCOT. We have vintage EPCOT in mind.

For fun, of the top of my head a quick inventory of FW fountains:

Entrance: sculpture removed
Fountain of Nations: poor upkeep, water no longer flows underneath you into the hub waterways. To be removed
Seas: no more crashing waves, some sort of water splashing beneath the Mine Mine toon birds.
Land: indoor fountain, FW's most accomplished fountain sculpture, entirely removed
Imagination: jumping and upwards fountains really need some tlc, former sculpture replaced with a meaningless skeleton
Water = west side, back when FW had two distinct halves. East side didn't feature fountains and pools, except a pool at Energy. The pool and garden at WoL was a slightly ill-fitting 89 addition. The splash area is a precursor to turning the former rigid, sharp edged, geometric east garden area into a kiddie playground.

Cmdr_Crimson

In all honesty the first reason they don't care is when they removed this..
NET700403.jpg

And an Abandoned hotel (looming in the distance) became the symbol and icon for the park and IMO still think it's an odd move (2nd to a BAH) for it to become the icon..Yes the park changed aspects But, it doesn't mean to remove it..They could have moved it if they had wanted to and make an Earfile Tower Entrance Plaza when coming in to the park.....

flynnibus

Premium Member
Fountains are never dated. Ever been to Versailles? Trevi fountain in Rome? Fountain of Wealth in Singapore ? If done well, maintained, upgraded they are timeless. The fountains at Versailles are just as wonderful now as they were over 300 years ago.

The fountains look nothing like those examples though.

It’s possible for things that are out of style to be “classic” and desirable for their own stand out impression or impact. FoN has no stand out architecture, style, craftsmanship. FoN relied mostly on a technology gimmick that has long been dated and surpassed.

At wdw... fountains have been discouraged and mostly have been removed around property for the last 15 years or so. They are out of fashion design wise on property.

FoN is not a stand out in any dimension to make it timeless.

Spike-in-Berlin

The fountains look nothing like those examples though.

It’s possible for things that are out of style to be “classic” and desirable for their own stand out impression or impact. FoN has no stand out architecture, style, craftsmanship. FoN relied mostly on a technology gimmick that has long been dated and surpassed.

At wdw... fountains have been discouraged and mostly have been removed around property for the last 15 years or so. They are out of fashion design wise on property.

FoN is not a stand out in any dimension to make it timeless.

Disney doesn't remove fountains because they are outdated, the remove all the water elements because they don't want to pay for maintenance. Many Areas in MK for example lost their entire charme and atmosphere and became empty and unattended after the water was removed. It is not the Fashion it is the seemingly unsatiable greed of TDO who don't want to offer anything really special anymore (which needs more Money) but still increase the Prices. It is a disgrace to Walt Disneys name that they still pretend to be preserving his heritage. They spit on it almost every single day.
And water fountains are never getting out of style, they are, just as water itself is, still a major element in the design of urban Areas, parks and gardens!

HiJe

Disney doesn't remove fountains because they are outdated, the remove all the water elements because they don't want to pay for maintenance. Many Areas in MK for example lost their entire charme and atmosphere and became empty and unattended after the water was removed. It is not the Fashion it is the seemingly unsatiable greed of TDO who don't want to offer anything really special anymore (which needs more Money) but still increase the Prices. It is a disgrace to Walt Disneys name that they still pretend to be preserving his heritage. They spit on it almost every single day.
And water fountains are never getting out of style, they are, just as water itself is, still a major element in the design of urban Areas, parks and gardens!

I would guess that this is the case. They are looking at what elements of the park cost money and what elements generate money. If one area only costs money and doesn't produce anything (merchandise, food and beverage, putting visitors on an attraction, etc...), they are probably going to get rid of it eventually at this point. Just imagine the number of DVC booths you could put in that area!!!

flynnibus

Premium Member

I know why we think they do it....that doesn’t change the fact they have fallen from favor at wdw in their designs. It should be no shock that as this area comes under redesign that the big, dated, and out of favor, fountain comes under scrutiny.

Even outside of wdw.... fountain designs have gotten way more advanced and no longer are just vertical fountains in a geometric shape passable as leading designs.

Goofyernmost

Representatives from 23 nations poured water from their countries into the fountain when it was dedicated. It was a big thing to a lot of people, including EPCOT Center itself.
I suppose that it is possible, but, my cynical mind tells me that no one would haul a few quarts of water from thousands of miles away for a fountain dedication in a theme park. If I had to guess, I'd look toward the closest restroom for the source. Some things are just to hard to imagine why!

ppete1975

ok I might get flamed for this, because I might be remembering wrong... fountain of nations is behind space ship earth, but theres the other fountain in from that used to have the three crystal spires right? Or am I combining things? If they are two separate fountains (the way I remember) whats the other one called. I remember seeing concept art of it having the spires return. Oddly google isn't helping me and going every 4-6 years has me doubting myself.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
ok I might get flamed for this, because I might be remembering wrong... fountain of nations is behind space ship earth, but theres the other fountain in from that used to have the three crystal spires right? Or am I combining things? If they are two separate fountains (the way I remember) whats the other one called. I remember seeing concept art of it having the spires return. Oddly google isn't helping me and going every 4-6 years has me doubting myself.
Yes, that’s actually coming back

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom