"You stand at Spaceship Earth - I'll take your picture from Italy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I'm sure we've all encountered these type of people before at WDW. You know, where someone poses in front of a landmark, and their friend or relative taking the picture stands about 25 yards away, and expects you not to go in front of them until they've taken half a dozen photos.

How do you handle this?

I've become very rude and just keep walking past them. I refuse to stand there for 45 seconds while they snap pictures. I'm not proud of it, but it's become an epidemic.

WDWmazprty

Perhaps the camera they were using looked like this?

pic1_mini.jpg

Britt

<---- Is also rude. I dont worry about walking in front of them! I try and steer clear of the photo pass pics and watching out, but anyone else just taking a random pic in the park? You just might get my Derpina face while Im staring wide eyed at something else. Or giving you a dirty look because you're standing in front of my stroller ; )

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I always either go around behind the person taking the picture or wait. I'm never in so much of a hurry that it would warrant being rude. If it dawns on me at the time I'll often volunteer my son to take a picture with all of their party together [me taking the picture might not be good...]. Tourists take pictures, to expect them not to is ludicrous and it's just nice to be as helpful as possible.

ExtinctJenn

Honestly, in this day and age of digital photography, I don't think it's as big of a deal. I have pictures my family took when I was younger and some dolt was running through it or something. It was different back then though. You paid for X number of shots with your roll of film so not having them interrupted was a little more important. These days, you can take 20 shots in 30 seconds (or less) so I don't think it's right for anyone to truly get upset if someone walks between them and their subject. It's going to happen, click the button again.

And just a note, I am saying this from the perspective of the family photographer... in otherwords, I've learned to not stress when someone accidentally gets between me and whatever I'm trying to capture. Unless they've very obviously done it on purpose so what?

captainkidd

Original Poster
I wouldn't say I go out of my way to get in the way of the picture, but I will say, I'm not going completely out of my way to make room for them. You can always tell the ones that are going to be there for a good couple of minutes snapping away. There are just too many people taking pictures in the parks to stop every time someone else wants to snap one. It would take you 2 days to walk from Splash to Space Mountain.

Britt

I wouldn't say I go out of my way to get in the way of the picture, but I will say, I'm not going completely out of my way to make room for them. You can always tell the ones that are going to be there for a good couple of minutes snapping away. There are just too many people taking pictures in the parks to stop every time someone else wants to snap one. It would take you 2 days to walk from Splash to Space Mountain.
Exactly. Im not going to go out of my way to walk in front of them or stop in their pic, but Im also not going out of my way to walk around them.

I've definitely offered to take family pics for people as well. Heck, thats how we got our family pics in front of the castle. I offered to take their family pic for them with their camera, if they'd get mine...LOL

captainkidd

Original Poster
I always wait or walk around, regardless of how annoying people can be. Please don't take this as sanctimony, but I refuse to allow the rudeness or ignorance of others to dictate the principles by which I live my life.

There are places you simply can't conveniently walk around. Like the bridge from Africa to Asia in AK. People are always taking pics from one side of the bridge of their family to the other.

ExtinctJenn

There are places you simply can't conveniently walk around. Like the bridge from Africa to Asia in AK. People are always taking pics from one side of the bridge of their family to the other.
When I see things like this I try to give them a second to snap the photo. I will be polite and wait and try to allow for a good shot for anyone but if it takes you 3 minutes to set up the shot and then another 10 to snap one picture (i.e. getting it into focus etc.) then I'm sorry, I'm going. In other words, I will always attempt to allow someone a shot, even in a place where it's inconvenient for everyone else, but they only have so long. It's also a plus if they are apologizing etc. and making it obvious that they know they are causing an issue for those around them.

Kelsybelle

I just wonder how many other people's pictures I'm in because sometimes it's too late to get out of the way. I do try to be careful though!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
In all my travels, I've seen that once. :rolleyes:

I offered my son to take their picture. Didn't hurt a bit. :cool:

rsoxguy

Yes, and I understand your frustration. It is your choice to react accordingly, even as it is my choice to react accordingly. It is why I stated that I either wait or walk around.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Well In usually wait or walk behind the photographer.

But I recognise the problem. And no, sorry, you are not going to get a shot of your family with an empty Main Street in the middle of August, regardless of how many looks and sighs you give the 50000 people around you.

This exactly. :p

If I remember correctly, you usually travel to WDW with your family in July, when it's really crowded. No wonder this is your experience. ;) Thankfully, I get to go in the spring and fall, and so I can do like @Monty and wait, go around, or offer to let the photographer get in the picture. Usually I offer to take the picture, I like meeting people.

My husband will actually wait what seems like half a day to avoid stepping into someone's picture. I'll give it about 120 seconds, then I drag him around them if they haven't finished yet (and don't want help). I often wonder where he gets his patience from, then I remember how long he's stayed married to me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom