"You didn't build that"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassagoula-Rvr

Original Poster
Wherever you fall on politics I found a quote in the quotable Walt Disney book that is eerily similar to the quote that President Barack Obama took so much flak over.

"I'd like to add one thought to the subject of success and the claims made for it as a deserved reward for effort and understanding. It seems to me shallow and arrogant for any man in these times to claim he is completely self-made, that he owes all his success to his own unaided efforts. while of course it is basic americanism that a man's standing is in part due to his personal enterprise and capacity, it is equally true that many hands and hearts and minds generally contribute to anyone's notable achievement. We share, to a large extent, one another's fate. We help create those circumstances which favor or challenge us in meeting our objectives and realizing our dreams. This is great comfort and inspiration in this feeling of close human relationships and its bearing on our own mutual fortunes a powerful force to overcome the "tough breaks" which are certain to come to most of us from time to time."- Walt Disney
(Taken from Quotable Walt Disney book I purchased last summer)

So is it possible the president is a Disney buff? :)

Magenta Panther

Wherever you fall on politics I found a quote in the quotable Walt Disney book that is eerily similar to the quote that President Barack Obama took so much flak over.

"I'd like to add one thought to the subject of success and the claims made for it as a deserved reward for effort and understanding. It seems to me shallow and arrogant for any man in these times to claim he is completely self-made, that he owes all his success to his own unaided efforts. while of course it is basic americanism that a man's standing is in part due to his personal enterprise and capacity, it is equally true that many hands and hearts and minds generally contribute to anyone's notable achievement. We share, to a large extent, one another's fate. We help create those circumstances which favor or challenge us in meeting our objectives and realizing our dreams. This is great comfort and inspiration in this feeling of close human relationships and its bearing on our own mutual fortunes a powerful force to overcome the "tough breaks" which are certain to come to most of us from time to time."- Walt Disney
(Taken from Quotable Walt Disney book I purchased last summer)

So is it possible the president is a Disney buff? :)

Dunno about that...but I remember something I saw on the "Snow White DVD". One of the Nine Old Men said that all of the artists and writers and craftsmen and songwriters and so on that worked on "Snow White" weren't really all that important in the end...because the film would never have happened, had there not been a Walt Disney.

So while almost any successful enterprise depends on a talented group of people...it's likely that enterprise won't get anywhere without a visionary leader to guide it. It's important to remember that entrepreneurs take enormous risks that ordinary working folks don't. That's why they're admired so much (by most people) when they do succeed. Walt is to be commended for giving so much credit to his employees for his company's success. But the company bore HIS name, and after all he risked and suffered and sacrificed, he deserved that accolade. I believe that HE built his company, using his talents and the talents of his employees (many of which he personally oversaw and developed and pushed to be the best they could be). After all, a tool is only as good as the person who wields it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom