Trip Report You Can't Beat This Deal...Two Trip Reports for the Price of One! *COMPLETED*

Hi Everyone!

As some of you may know, it's been a very busy, Disney filled, end of the summer for us! After scrambling to find new vacations plans thanks to Hurricane Lane and having just returned from a solo trip to attend the Disney Institute Approach to Quality Service course, I have almost been able to get all of the photos downloaded and I'm nearly ready to report on our adventures.

Both trips we're remarkably different from what our typical Disney trip would look like but both were fantastic experiences and I'm really looking forward to sharing them with you.

I am planning on uploading the last of our pictures from the camera tonight and will start diving into the details very soon!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Looking forward to both aspects of your TR - family and training course/solo trips!

Thanks for following. John!

I will probably be in but I am confused about this trip report price you speak of...

Will it be in US or Canadian dollars?

Max

This is a good question! Either way, Canadian or American, with the way things are going now no matter what I decide it's likely a tariff will be added to the price.

I'm ready to see your adventures!

Thanks for reading!

Can’t wait to hear all about both trips!!

Thanks!

I'm here! Can't wait!

Thanks!

Such a deal, I'm in!

I'm a deal maker...glad you're in!

I'm in too! Can't wait to hear about both trips!

Awesome...thanks!

Time to get something going!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
PREAMBLE

For those of you who may have read my pre-trip report, you would have known that in June I learned I was being sent to Disney World to participate in the Disney Institute Approach to Quality Service course taking place in at the Grand Floridian in early September.

I was beyond excited to receive this news and thankful that when nobody else in my department put in a request for Professional Development this year that I fired my shot by requesting this program. When it was approved I was pumped to be going back, and even more excited to be staying for an extended time at the Grand.

Kelly and the kids, rightfully so, were pretty jealous and were trying to find a way to tag along with me. The issue was we already had a trip to Hawaii (Aug 24-Sept 2) planned for the week before and the kids would just be starting school when we returned from that vacation. We decided it wasn’t the best idea for them to come so we’d look at a surprise Disneyland trip in October.

As the months slipped by and my trip got closer, I planned as much as I could. Reservations, FP+, figuring out cool things that I’ve never experienced before to fill in some of the free time I’d have after our course ended each day. As our Hawaii trip approached, I was as ready as could be.

The week we were supposed to leave for Hawaii, we started following the reports of Hurricane Lane and the possibility that Honolulu was to be hit the day we were to arrive. We sat back and read the reports, hoping everything would be ok. Less than 48 hours before we were to take off, our travel agent called to say she was receiving a warning from our airline that they were about to cancel all flights in and out of Honolulu for the next several days. She gave us two options, wait it out and hope we get there a day or two late or figure out other travel plans.

Our travel group included the four of us and both of our Mom’s so we quickly got on the phone with both of them to figure out plan B. We discusses someplace warm and beachy but with little time to figure something out, we decided to return to a place we knew and loved and could almost guarantee we’d have a great time, Disney World!

We spent quite a bit of time on the phone with our travel agent but by the end of the day we had made changes and had finalized our trip to Disney with rooms booked at Port Orleans French Quarter and all of our park passes, Disney’s Magical Express, and flights all secured. Definitely not the relaxing beach holiday we had in mind, and truthfully with the exception of the kids who were over the moon excited, we were all pretty bummed to be heading to Disney. We were all looking forward to Hawaii and it took some time to get geared up for this one.

Our only issue now was scrambling with less than 24 hours to go, to figure out if we could find some decent ADRs and FP+ for us to enjoy when we arrived. After a night of moping, Kelly and I quickly flipped the switch to planning as much as we could.

Gurt

Im looking forward to your report, years ago my uncles company sent him to the Disney Institute and I still remember things he told me about it.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Im looking forward to your report, years ago my uncles company sent him to the Disney Institute and I still remember things he told me about it.

It was very inspiring. Really got me thinking of even the slightest improvements we could make to deliver the best possible experience for the people we work with. Sounds like your uncle had a similar experience to me. It was awesome.

Thanks for reading!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Travel Day – August 24/25

Now that everything was finalized and we were all set, Kelly and I were both off the day of August 24th as we were supposed to be in the air headed to Hawaii. Our flights to Orlando were not going to be leaving Edmonton until midnight and after a short layover in Toronto, our connecting flight would get us into Orlando around 10 am on August 25th.

We spent the day adjusting what we had already packed in our suitcases while constantly checking the My Disney Experience app to try and arrange FastPasses and dining reservations. While most of the good FastPasses were already spoken for, we were able to put together a patchwork plan for the week knowing that we may still get lucky with rides we couldn’t book, like Flights of Passage, using Ella’s guest assistance pass.

Surprisingly we were able to find at least one restaurant a day that we were looking for. Meal times weren't ideal, mainly around 400-430 pm but we were hoping we might be able to make some changes leading up to each meal after other reservations were dropped by guests or modified. The only places we really wanted that were not available were dinner at ‘Ohana and lunch at Beaches and Cream. We put in reservation requests though Touring Plans for both restaurants and crossed our fingers.

When we finally had as much in place as possible and the luggage ready to go, we pretty much had to sit and wait for the late trip to the airport. One last thing we had to do before getting ready to head out was to drop off our dog, Marty, at the dog sitter. This is always a tough thing for Kelly to do but we knew the old boy would enjoy being in a house where he’s the centre of attention, not down a few rungs with the kids at home.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/28tiBsY]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

It was finally time to head out and get ready to go. We made it to the airport a few hours before our first flight and slowly made our way through security. It wasn’t busy at all but with all of the extras we have to bring to help manage Ella’s diabetes, it always ensures we receive a little additional scrutiny which we’ve gotten used to.

After we got through we found a place to grab a beer and a bite to eat before boarding our first plane. The flight to Toronto is about three and a half hours and we were really hoping the girls would sleep or the next day could get really interesting. Because we were landing so early and our rooms were unlikely to be ready, we planned to head straight to the Magic Kingdom to have some fun. Any rest they could get would serve them well.

Right around midnight we were ready to get this trip rolling!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2aBVqoE]WDW 2018 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/27WDxzd]WDW 2018 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

And thankfully the girls did sleep on both flights so when we did touch down in Orlando their excitement level was through the roof!

We were essentially the last row on the plane which allowed us to have all six seats across the row but made for a long wait to deplane. This didn’t sit well with the kids who just wanted to get off and find our way to the Magical Express! It did take us a little while to get our way through the airport and finally scan our MagicBand before being given our lane to wait for our bus. I’ll admit, I was pretty sleepy myself at this point so my picture taking was limited but that all changed as soon as we pulled into the resort and things really got real!

Zipadeelady

I have to admit, I stalked Edmonton. Sadly i've never heard of it. I'm sure it's very beautiful and after just seeing where it's located I promise to quit complaining about Indiana's winters.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
I have to admit, I stalked Edmonton. Sadly i've never heard of it. I'm sure it's very beautiful and after just seeing where it's located I promise to quit complaining about Indiana's winters.

Edmonton is a beautiful city but being where we are, our winters can be cold and snowy. Definitely not for the faint of heart! But even in the winter, the city is lovely. The river valley running through the city is amazing all year long.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Because of how late we booked this trip we weren’t able to take advantage of the luggage delivery so when we landed at MCO we had to rent a pushcart to stack as much of the six checked bags we had between all of us. Pushing this cart towards the DME check-in made me long for the simplicity of pushing the stroller. Usually we wouldn’t bring so many checked bags but we get free checked luggage on Westjet flights with our rewards card so figured why not. And it was decided that this would definitely be the last trip with the stroller so Lennon better enjoy it while she still could!

The bus ride into the resort has become a favourite for the girls for some reason. I guess it signifies the true beginning of being in Disney. I was just happy to get everything loaded up and hop aboard. Now that we were in the humid Orlando heat, the disappointment of missing out on Hawaii was becoming a distant memory.

After about 30 minutes we made our way through the welcome gates and we were on the property! Port Orleans French Quarter was the first stop which is always nice. Not as much waiting around hopping from resort to resort. As we were quickly planning the trip our options for resorts was pretty limited. We obviously had no chance of securing DVC accommodation with our points on such short notice and we didn’t really want to stay in a value resort, though a family suite Art of Animation was tempting. We had the chance to stay in a Savanah view room at Animal Kingdom Lodge but that would increase our trip price rather significantly. Since we had stayed one night at the French Quarter years ago and really enjoyed what little time we had around the grounds we decided to head back and stay there. The debate between French Quarter and Riverside was closely contested but the fact that French Quarter only has the one resort transportation bus stop influenced our final decision.

We pulled up, unloaded and clumsily wheeled all of our luggage into the foyer. We had yet to receive a notice that our rooms were ready but we decided to check in at the front desk anyways as Kelly’s mom needed a MagicBand and my mom was very concerned about getting a room close to ours. Kelly will be the first to very loudly point out that my mom still babies me…quite a bit. I don’t see it that way, but Kelly definitely does so it wasn’t much of a surprise that my mom’s first request when at the counter was a room near ours!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/29B72no]WDW 2018 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

We were told the rooms wouldn’t be ready for a little while, which we expected, so we all decided to change and great ready to head to the Magic Kingdom. As we waited for everyone to get ready to go, I explored the lobby area. French Quarter is quite nice and I was excited to stay there.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2aavgGh]WDW 2018 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/29ATzh1]WDW 2018 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

The girls were given coins to toss into the fountain and make a wish. This became something they wanted to do on a daily basis.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/27VZLXG]WDW 2018 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/29BcSkd]WDW 2018 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/29j34k2]WDW 2018 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Once everyone was ready we left our luggage at Bell Services and made our way to the bus stop just outside the front entrance. It had already been quite a long night of travel but some second winds were kicking in as we were about to start the trip right, at the Magic Kingdom!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
It didn’t take long for the bus to arrive at the hotel and we were on our way to the Magic Kingdom. The bus ride was only about ten minutes or so and we arrived shortly after 1230. By this time the security lines and the admission gates were not overly busy so it didn’t take us much time to get our bags inspected and head through the gates.

Upon scanning our bands for the first time, the Mickey head at the gate not only flashed green but purple as well, which prompted a “Welcome Home” greeting from the Cast Member. A nice touch that I don’t recall from our December visit, our first as DVC members.

Our first FP+ window was already open and we wanted to make our way to Pirates before the 120 expiration. Before we could do that, we wanted to get Ella’s guest assistance pass all set up so we jumped in line at City Hall only to be told by the friendly Cast Member working the line that GA was now available by visiting the Chamber of Commerce next door. There was no line at the CoC and within a matter of moments we were all set for the trip and ready to head down Main Street for the first time.

Just as we were about to round the corner near the Emporium, a voice called out “MATT!”. TO say I was confused by this was an understatement. We had literally just arrived and not five minutes into our MK visit someone was calling my name. Even as a familiar face approached I was still completely out of it. It didn’t kick in until I heard “it’s me, @Tuvalu ”. Kelly and I were both very excited to bump into yet another friend from WDW Magic and we had a great, albeit short, chat before we went our separate ways. We definitely couldn’t head off without taking a photo to commemorate our visit.
WDW 2018 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr

What a great way to start our Disney trip!

With that, we slowly made our way down Main Street toward the turn to Adventureland. Soaking up the sights and sounds of the best walk in Disney put a smile on all of our faces. And the smells definitely started to make us pretty hungry after the long travel day. I left the group and hurried my way to the Mine Train to get a return time while the rest of the girls made the stroll toward Pirates.

We figured we’d jump on our first ride before grabbing something to eat. Pirates is one of my mom’s favourite Disney rides and the girls have gotten into it now that they know that first drop isn’t so scary. That was something that used to terrify them both! Not a bad attraction to start us off.
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_413085175992 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr

Since we were already in the area, we decided to pick up the perfect treat to satisfy our hunger, a Dole Whip! It was a smoking hot day and the line was huge so we tried out the mobile order option from the MDE app. First time using this feature and I gotta say, it was definitely convenient and a nice time saver. Our Dole whips were up at the counter and ready for us to enjoy in less than five minutes.

Again, sweltering hot outside so we figured we’d jump into the tiki room and eat our treats in the nicely air-conditioned venue. Pirates, Dole Whips and the Tiki Room, definitely a solid start for our first park visit.

With the Dole Whips behind us and the Tiki Room finishing up, our return time for the Mine Train was opening up and Lennon couldn’t wait to get on her favourite ride. Off we went towards Fantasyland. The moms were worried the entire walk as they don’t do well on roller coasters. Constant complaints about neck aches and headaches would be the norm throughout the trip but we convinced them they would be just fine on this one so we all got in the FP+ queue upon our return.

You could tell they were nervous but the ride was a blast…can’t you tell!?
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8261728243 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8261728231 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr

Since we were in Fantasyland and the kids were on a roller coaster kick, the Barnstormer was our next stop. On our way through the queue you could see some of the construction going on for Tron. I’m super excited about this addition to the park and I ended up getting a backstage look at the construction site when I returned for the Disney Institute course. Looks like it’s going to be pretty impressive once it’s ready to go.

I think the moms screamed more on the Barnstormer than the Mine Train!

Because it was so hot the girls were more than happy to jump in the splash park for a bit. Although it did take some coaxing from Kelly at first!

And Kelly was quick enough to spot our future rides to help us around the park 30 years from now.

After the girls were done cooling off in the water, we wandered through the Big Top gift shop and ended up picking up more treats for Kelly and the kids. A cake pop for Lenny, a Halloween rice krispie treat for Ella and a chocolate covered Strawberry for Kelly. All were very happy and so was I as I finished the leftovers that Ella and Lenny couldn’t’.

You could see some clouds pushing in and the blue sky was getting darker as we arrived at Winnie the Pooh for our next ride. We bounced through the Hundred Acre Wood and stepped off just as some big thunder and lightning were cracking around. Instead of getting caught in the imminent downpour we quickly hustled to Mickey’s PhilharMagic hoping that the storm would be quick and the show would allow us to miss it all.

PhilharMagic is still the best 3D show on the property in my opinion. From what I could see, Lennon agreed as she was singing and dancing along and reaching out trying to grab all of the effects.

With the wait leading up and then the show itself we were likely indoors for about 20 minutes before heading back outside. It had rained but not very much by the looks of things. I retrieved the stroller and our next plan of attack was to head back down Main Street, hit up the shops and then make our way over to the Wilderness Lodge for our 520 dinner reservation at Whispering Canyon.

As we walked past the castle the skies started to open up and it started raining buckets! We raced into the shops near Casey’s Corner and slowly made our way down towards the Emporium exit. The moms ended up buy ponchos for themselves and the girls (smart call) before leaving the store. Everyone spent quite a bit of time inside but I enjoyed watching the rain under a canopy as Lennon dozed off in the stroller.

It was coming down hard but we had to eventually make a move towards the exit or else we would be late for our reservation!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom