Trip Report You Can't Beat This Deal...Two Trip Reports for the Price of One! *COMPLETED*

Hi Everyone!

As some of you may know, it's been a very busy, Disney filled, end of the summer for us! After scrambling to find new vacations plans thanks to Hurricane Lane and having just returned from a solo trip to attend the Disney Institute Approach to Quality Service course, I have almost been able to get all of the photos downloaded and I'm nearly ready to report on our adventures.

Both trips we're remarkably different from what our typical Disney trip would look like but both were fantastic experiences and I'm really looking forward to sharing them with you.

I am planning on uploading the last of our pictures from the camera tonight and will start diving into the details very soon!

amjt660

Premium Member
Based on your last day I want to say thank you to @wdisney9000 for a great trip...

Wait, that was @Matt and Kelly consuming all that beer at the parks !?!?!?

I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery !!

But seriously Matt, I love both phases of the report

Thank you for taking the time to share all of the experience

I really enjoyed the DI course info - alas my company would not put up the cash for that one - they believe their systems are great already

And if you did an Aulani report I would follow along for sure!!

Max

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Based on your last day I want to say thank you to @wdisney9000 for a great trip...

Wait, that was @Matt and Kelly consuming all that beer at the parks !?!?!?

I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery !!

But seriously Matt, I love both phases of the report

Thank you for taking the time to share all of the experience

I really enjoyed the DI course info - alas my company would not put up the cash for that one - they believe their systems are great already

And if you did an Aulani report I would follow along for sure!!

Max

I did go a little crazy on the beer consumption during that final day but I regret nothing!

Thanks for reading along, Max. Always appreciate when you chime in and I hope there will be more fun to share in a few months.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
I mentioned I would post some final thoughts from my DI trip during my last post so here goes…

The trip itself was as good as I could have expected it to be. I had heard nothing but amazing things from people who have participated in this program in the past and it really lived up to the hype. I shouldn’t have been surprised but I seeing as how every comment was overwhelmingly good, I was a tad skeptical that maybe it was being overhyped. It was not.

The combination of in-class and field work, delivered by facilitators that are obviously very good at what they do because they are passionate about being with the Disney Company, made for a terrific four days. Add in all the typical Disney magic and an amazing spread of good food, it was outstanding.

True, I tend to see things through Disney coloured glasses, and I realize that even though they perched a lot of amazing lessons that not every single CM follows, case in point, the experience interacting with less than stellar CMs that @amjt660 had during his last trip, by and large, the vast majority of 70,000 employees can recite these lessons and follow the expectations that are put on them on a daily basis is beyond impressive.

The fact that I was able to participate in this course and stay at the Grand at the same time definitely added to the experience. I have nothing but good things to say about the resort, the room, the pool, the amenities. It really was a high class stay that I’ll look back on fondly for a long time. I still say that the Wilderness Lodge is my favourite resort on property but getting to cross of the Grand from the list of places to stay was a lot of fun.

Travelling on my own and experiencing WDW solo was also a very cool experience. While I missed Kelly and the girls tremendously and felt a little guilty for having such a good time without them, spending nearly a week there on my own was terrific. Going at my own pace, doing my own things and checking out a number of things I have never done before made for a very unique stay. Even with most of the days being tied up in the program, the free time between classes was so much fun, especially not spending it in the parks and touring around the property to different areas to fill my time. Not sure I’ll get to do it solo again anytime soon but if I do I certainly won’t be scared to jump in with both feet.

To close, as I’ve said numerous times, I would highly recommend this DI program to anyone who is considering potentially enrolling. I absolutely look forward to trying to return to future DI programs should it work within my role. If anyone needs a good reference for the course I’d be most happy to provide that too!

Thanks again for following along and for all your interaction. Makes writing these things a ton of fun!

Doc Disney

Sorry for all the notifications you just got from me I just got to your report today!
The girls are so grown up !! I love their outfits they had on everyday - adorable!
We are are actually staying at the Beach Club for my Mom's 65th Birthday - I thought of it when you mentioned that :)
I'm sorry about Marty...how awful :(
The DI sounds incredible!! I wish I had the type of job that would need that training (I mean I guess I kind of do but my boss would not think so!). What a fun way to experience Disney and the parks :)
Thank you so much for sharing!

LisaBelle

Thanks for sharing both reports with us. I loved hearing about your experience with the DI. My daughter wants to apply for the Disney College Program so I shared the info with her. Your final MK day seemed great! So glad you were able to experience both COP and Swiss Family Robinson Tree House for the first time. My family loves both attractions. We really enjoy walking through the tree house at night. We happened upon it the night of our first ever family WDW trip and our kids who were 4 and 8 at the time had a blast. It was a great experience because there were very few people walking through and we could really take our time and enjoy exploring. Plus it was much cooler without the sun beating down on us. On our last trip we walked through before sunset and it was not nearly as enjoyable in the heat. I will definitely follow along with an Aulani TR. I've always wanted to visit Hawaii and adding the Disney aspect with Aulani would put me over the moon! Fingers crossed for good weather.

susan lees

Day Seven – Heading Home

As I was getting ready to head out to the Magic Kingdom the day before, I noticed my DME notice hanging on my door. I looked at it in horror to see that the bus would be arriving to pick me up at 300 am the next morning.

My flight, which would take me to Toronto first, was scheduled to leave at 700 and I was not excited to be heading to the airport four hours in advance. Instead, I ended up scheduling a Lyft to pick me up at 400am so I could get a little extra sleep.

I probably didn’t fall asleep until after 11 and I knew that alarm would be going off soon. When it did I was in sad to be leaving but excited to be heading home to my girls. I quickly showered, got dressed and packed up the last remaining loose items before taking one last look around the room and heading towards the main foyer or my ride.

I stopped at Gasparilla’s to fill up my resort mug with my first cup of coffee. The restaurant was dead silent with the exception of a few CMs cleaning up and getting things ready for the morning. With my mug filled I lugged my bags to the main area and waited for my Lyft.

It was eerily quiet as I walked through the lobby. I was the only guest lumbering around and there was only one CM working the reception desk. We said hello to each other and I sat down and watched my Lyft app as the driver was getting closer to the Grand.

I was able to take a few final photos of the lobby and reflected on how fortunate I was to have an extended stay at such an amazing resort.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2b8Xqif]WDW 2018 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2b5T21Q]WDW 2018 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

With that, my phone notified me that my ride had arrived so out I went to meet her. My driver was very friendly, even for four in the morning, as she opened the trunk to allow me to stow my bags. I hopped in the car and off we went. I was quite pleased I opted for a later ride but after seeing how dead the roads were upon leaving WDW, I was kicking myself for not sleeping for another hour. Oh well. I had no issue arriving at the airport, getting through security and simply waiting to get home.

The drive to the airport was super smooth and quick. I thanked my driver and made sure to give her a nice tip through the app. I appreciated that she was willing to pick me up so early and get me where I needed to go.

The airport was a little busier than the roads but from the ticket gate to security, to hopping on the tram to head to the terminal, I was sitting at my gate in less than 30 minutes. I loved every second of this trip but I was so ready to get home and see Kelly and the kids.

Both flights, the first to Toronto and the second to Edmonton, were as easy as I could have hoped for and eventually I had touched down back home in Edmonton. As we broke the cloud cover to land I could see that the ground was somewhat covered in snow. For mid-September, this was not a welcome sight. Kelly did send me a few photos during the trip to warn me that we’d been having some unseasonable weather but I went from absolute perfection to snow on the ground in a matter of hours.

After grabbing my luggage, heading back to my car and making the drive home, I came through the back door to be greeted by all the girls. It was so nice to be home, even with the chilly, gloomy weather.

And that’s where my reports come to an end. I loved being able to relive both of these very different trips and I most certainly appreciate everyone who has stuck it out, followed along, commented and shared in our adventures. Kelly and I love being able to share our trips with you and we love having the opportunity to live vicariously through you as well as we read your reports to get our WDW fix.

At this point in time, we have no firm plans to head back but I am working towards running the half marathon in January of 2020. If all goes to plan just Kelly and I will be making that trip and it will only be a few days long, but it would be another very cool experience that I hope we are able to live out.

We are giving Hawaii another go and will be staying at Aulani from April 6-14 so we may have to create a trip report for that visit whenever we're back. Fingers crossed this one works out better than last year!

Thank you again and I will post some closing thoughts in the coming days!
Great report. Thanks for sharing. Our son is heading back over in May to be a CM in the rose and crown. He will be there for a year on the cultural representative program. This will be his second time but will have refresher training to deliver the ultimate Disney experience. He loves working over there.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Amazing report Matt. What an exciting experience, glad you shared it with us!

Thanks so much for reading!

Great wrap up for a great report!

Max

Thanks a lot, Max!

Sorry for all the notifications you just got from me I just got to your report today!
The girls are so grown up !! I love their outfits they had on everyday - adorable!
We are are actually staying at the Beach Club for my Mom's 65th Birthday - I thought of it when you mentioned that :)
I'm sorry about Marty...how awful :(
The DI sounds incredible!! I wish I had the type of job that would need that training (I mean I guess I kind of do but my boss would not think so!). What a fun way to experience Disney and the parks :)
Thank you so much for sharing!

No worries about the notification barrage! Thanks for jumping in and reading and for the kind words.

Both parts of your TR were great. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much!

Thanks for sharing both reports with us. I loved hearing about your experience with the DI. My daughter wants to apply for the Disney College Program so I shared the info with her. Your final MK day seemed great! So glad you were able to experience both COP and Swiss Family Robinson Tree House for the first time. My family loves both attractions. We really enjoy walking through the tree house at night. We happened upon it the night of our first ever family WDW trip and our kids who were 4 and 8 at the time had a blast. It was a great experience because there were very few people walking through and we could really take our time and enjoy exploring. Plus it was much cooler without the sun beating down on us. On our last trip we walked through before sunset and it was not nearly as enjoyable in the heat. I will definitely follow along with an Aulani TR. I've always wanted to visit Hawaii and adding the Disney aspect with Aulani would put me over the moon! Fingers crossed for good weather.

Thanks for reading and I hope your daughter is accepted! That would be some great experience I’m sure.

Great report. Thanks for sharing. Our son is heading back over in May to be a CM in the rose and crown. He will be there for a year on the cultural representative program. This will be his second time but will have refresher training to deliver the ultimate Disney experience. He loves working over there.

Thanks so much for reading and best of luck to your son as he heads back. Maybe Kelly and I will get lucky and bump into him if we end up doing a quick trip for the 2020 marathon in January.

susan lees

Thanks so much for reading!

Thanks a lot, Max!

No worries about the notification barrage! Thanks for jumping in and reading and for the kind words.

Thanks so much!

Thanks for reading and I hope your daughter is accepted! That would be some great experience I’m sure.

Thanks so much for reading and best of luck to your son as he heads back. Maybe Kelly and I will get lucky and bump into him if we end up doing a quick trip for the 2020 marathon in January.
Just look out for Jack from Scotland in the UK pavillion. I'm sure he would enjoy a chat.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Now wouldn’t today have been a great day to be at Magic Kingdom?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom