You better travel to WDW now, 2011 going to get more expensive.

ChrisM

I think a select few on this thread need to go live in communist China where they can tell people what to do based on social class. Some of the comments on here about only the wealthy should be allowed in Disney World are ridiculous.

I think you're misreading this a little bit.

The idea isn't truly that "only the wealthy" should be allowed in Disney World. The idea is that it really should cost more and would result in a superior product.

For those of more modest financial means this would equate to less frequent visits and a interregnum necessary for saving the money to go. That's how I remember my parents handling it when I was a child. And the experience was premium compared to that of today.

As an aside, it's also worth keeping in mind that the American economy is almost unique in its allowing of individuals to move amidst economic levels, unlike a great many other economies.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I don't think the "elitist" sentiment expressed by a few (of my now favorite) posters in this thread is any more crass or rude than the perpetual circle jerking we constantly got from the "discount" crowd about the dizzying array of pins, discounts, free dining, etc and how it's allowing them to put their Nth Disney vacation in X months on the credit card which they probably can't really afford anyway.

You embraced and constantly celebrated the Walmartization of what was once a premium entertainment experience while we sat on our hands and bit our lips. Don't be too put off by a little celebrating from the other side at measures we hope will, at least, staunch the incessant diminishing by degrees that has been going on.

Going to Disney is not a right. And it once cost more and was a better product. There's a correlation there.

I'm assuming the terminology is reflective of the class then?

And you're celebrating keeping people out of the parks by price increases when the discounts obviously kept attendance and occupancy at WDW up in the middle of an economic downturn?

Oh, and the FLE and other future projects now in the works are being initiated before these price increases are to (supposedly) take place. So the incessant diminishing is being more than offset. Again, supported by attendance and occupancy numbers kept in place by the discounts....

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

The idea isn't truly that "only the wealthy" should be allowed in Disney World. The idea is that it really should cost more and would result in a superior product. .

He wasn't misreading anything in this thread:

Originally Posted by geubux
They need to both get rid of discounts and raise the rack rate. When the discounts abound, you tend to get a lower class of guests who expect the top service for low dollar and no tips.

It will be good to get where only the elite can go again.:cool:

misterID

The idea isn't truly that "only the wealthy" should be allowed in Disney World. The idea is that it really should cost more and would result in a superior product.

For those of more modest financial means this would equate to less frequent visits and a interregnum necessary for saving the money to go. That's how I remember my parents handling it when I was a child. And the experience was premium compared to that of today.

No, that's not what's been said in this thread.

If Disney raised their prices don't think you'd be getting anything superior than you're getting now. You'd just have shorter wait times for attractions. Again, WDW is and always going to be a theme park that depends on middle class families. You want to feel "elite" you need to travel to Paris and Tokyo from now on.

justdru

I think Disney has walked a fine line with the discounts they've offered. There are many who began going to Disney during the economic slump that will stop going if the discounts are removed. Additionally, those Disney veterans have enjoyed the discounts so much that they'll likely stop attending as much when the discounts fall away.

They certainly had to do it in order to stay afloat but it will be interesting to see if they're able to move forward with the same attendance/occupancy they had before the economy fell.

It's easy in business to set prices high and discount them. It's a lot harder to raise them.

ChrisM

He wasn't misreading anything in this thread:

Originally Posted by geubux
They need to both get rid of discounts and raise the rack rate. When the discounts abound, you tend to get a lower class of guests who expect the top service for low dollar and no tips.

It will be good to get where only the elite can go again.:cool:

I'm aware of what he wrote, but am endeavoring to read behind that bit of triumphalist spleen venting.

This is a Disney board, after all. I'm trying to be magnanimous.

misterID

I don't think the "elitist" sentiment expressed by a few (of my now favorite) posters in this thread is any more crass or rude than the perpetual circle jerking we constantly got from the "discount" crowd about the dizzying array of pins, discounts, free dining, etc and how it's allowing them to put their Nth Disney vacation in X months on the credit card which they probably can't really afford anyway.

You embraced and constantly celebrated the Walmartization of what was once a premium entertainment experience while we sat on our hands and bit our lips. Don't be too put off by a little celebrating from the other side at measures we hope will, at least, staunch the incessant diminishing by degrees that has been going on.

Going to Disney is not a right. And it once cost more and was a better product. There's a correlation there.

Okay, this is seriously a joke... These new posters sound very, very similar to a certain poster here who is as fake as can be... and who loves making polls. He is as fake as his fake "fans."

myto2cutekids

I absolutely agree with you. I was reading on another board yesterday where a poster was actually seeking advice on whether or not they should pay off bills or take a 2nd trip in four months. I would love to go several times a year but we are a single income military family so guess what that does not happen. In fact until recently we went every 3 years and stayed at SOG. Now we are able to go once a year and while we love SOG with husbands rank it is cheaper for us to stay at a moderated and do the dinning plan then to pay the $131.00 , parking fee, and pay out of pocket for all our meals. I just really think that it is all about priorities and while yes it would be nice if everyone could visit WDW it is not fair to have watered down parks and restaurants for the sake of making that happen.

Oh and we are as middle class as it gets!!

Korfar

Lets look at it this way. The wealthy that love Disney world are already going and spending a lot of money. Raising prices won't change that. However it will reduce the amount of people that are on tighter budgest from going so in turn reducing occupanies and attendance. That will hurt Disney.

On another note. In my observations on the years the weathly are the most stingy with thier money. They are the first to complain about price increases. I can say with confidence that the wealthy visitors use these discounts as well. I think they need to get off thier high horse a little bit with the discounts.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm aware of what he wrote, but am endeavoring to read behind that bit of triumphalist spleen venting.

This is a Disney board, after all. I'm trying to be magnanimous.

That ship's pretty much sailed.....:brick:

ChrisM

I'm assuming the terminology is reflective of the class then?

Incipient nanny-ism at an attention getter, eh? Assume whatever you wish, I suppose.

And you're celebrating keeping people out of the parks by price increases when the discounts obviously kept attendance and occupancy at WDW up in the middle of an economic downturn?

Attendance and occupancy are not my concerns. Perhaps discounts would never have been necessary had the Disney bean counters invested in better attractions? Perhaps occupancy would not be as much of an issue if they never began their Value resort building spree?

I want as high quality of an entertainment experience as possible from Disney. Any move that assists in that regard I will applaud.

Oh, and the FLE and other future projects now in the works are being initiated before these price increases are to (supposedly) take place. So the incessant diminishing is being more than offset. Again, supported by attendance and occupancy numbers kept in place by the discounts....

Alternatively, this occurred because a very few people noticed that the quality of the experience had fallen so low that doing something to improve it was critical and had to be undertaken immediately.

PHSCoach

I would really hope that some of you do not truly believe that WDW is only for the wealthy. It is a place that should be enjoyed by all no matter what their income status. I have bee going every year since 1981 and I first I could only afford to stay at the campground. I have been fortunate to now stay in DVC resorts and am able to go often. My daughter grew up on Disney and the enjoyment on her face every trip we made was worth every penny I saved to make sure she got to go. WDW is for everyone and if it takes discounts for some to go so be it.

Korfar

I would really hope that some of you do not truly believe that WDW is only for the wealthy. It is a place that should be enjoyed by all no matter what their income status. I have bee going every year since 1981 and I first I could only afford to stay at the campground. I have been fortunate to now stay in DVC resorts and am able to go often. My daughter grew up on Disney and the enjoyment on her face every trip we made was worth every penny I saved to make sure she got to go. WDW is for everyone and if it takes discounts for some to go so be it.

Well said Coach!! That is my view on it as well. Although it has been an interesting thread to see different opinions from people all over the world. In the end I think discounts in some form or another are hear to stay.

fosse76

No, that's not what's been said in this thread.

If Disney raised their prices don't think you'd be getting anything superior than you're getting now. You'd just have shorter wait times for attractions. Again, WDW is and always going to be a theme park that depends on middle class families. You want to feel "elite" you need to travel to Paris and Tokyo from now on.

Hmph! You beat me to it! Anyone who thinks that Disney was ever an elite destination is ridiculously delusional. It's a theme park first and foremost (the "elite" offerings are subpar compared to real elite destinations). People looking for elite vacations don't go to Disney World. The deluxe hotels were originally built to cater to the market who only stay in those type of accomodations, but were certainly not built as an indicator of the market they were trying to attract for the parks.

The discounts are not simply representative of the economy, though that is the klargest component. Simply put, Disney has overpriced itself. The cost of a Value room (rack rate) would get you a Moderate-type quality hotel room off-site. The admission tickets, as a whole, don't give you a good value based on park offerings. Food is overpriced and of mediocre quality, even for a theme park. And maintenance is terribly inconsistent (even the rides at my local Six Flags don't break down as often).

The fact that the tickets are never discounted should clue people in. That "poor" family is going to go to Disney whether or not the hotel rooms are discounted. There are plenty of affordable off-site hotels and motels that are cheaper and even nicer than Disney's offerings. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that during all this discounting, off-site occupancy rates were down substantially. I imagine those occupancy rates will increase once the discounting stops.

KevGuy

DVC membership allows me to go EVERY year to Disney, discounts be dammed lmao!! :king: They need to offer us more DVC discounts imo. :ROFLOL:

geubux

I am a FL resident and I will nver move out of Fl just so I can get the FL resident rate always.

See? discount rates. YOU'RE part of the problem. You need to pay full price for full use of the full amenities.

If you're a FL resident, you probably don't even help support the WDW hotels, do you?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Incipient nanny-ism at an attention getter, eh? Assume whatever you wish, I suppose.

Nanny-ism? How about not using terms from a p#rn movie to make your points.....

Attendance and occupancy are not my concerns. Perhaps discounts would never have been necessary had the Disney bean counters invested in better attractions? Perhaps occupancy would not be as much of an issue if they never began their Value resort building spree?

Well, unfortunately, they are the concerns of Disney. And whether you like it or not, Disney wil accept any guest, regardless of their socioeconomic status. And again, as you ignored, the fact that the discounts allowed WDW to maintain occupancy and attendance levels also meant that it allowed them to spend on such projects as the FL expansion, a new reosrt hotel, and quite possibly a new MI coaster at DHS....

I want as high quality of an entertainment experience as possible from Disney. Any move that assists in that regard I will applaud.

And this is achieved by keeping people out of the parks? Okay.....

Alternatively, this occurred because a very few people noticed that the quality of the experience had fallen so low that doing something to improve it was critical and had to be undertaken immediately.

Undertaken immediately? First of all, the fact that the discounts weren't going to be infinite was never a secret. Essentially, Disney put them in place to keep them going through the economic downturn. But to say that they caused a reduction in the overall experience is a fallacy, especially in the light of what WDW is bringing in for new attractions, resorts, restaurants and parades.

---

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
See? discount rates. YOU'RE part of the problem. You need to pay full price for full use of the full amenities.

If you're a FL resident, you probably don't even help support the WDW hotels, do you?

They should just be banned from the parks for all of eternity, eh?

MCC1

What I love is that why all this bickering is going on on this thread, the top of the page has nothing but rotating animated banners from WDW on all the great discount deals...:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom