Trip Report You Are Braver Than You Believe, Stronger Than You Seem, And Smarter Than ... Nope. Piglet Goes Dopey

Hi everyone, welcome to my trip report. I’ve been reading lots of other reports and have really enjoyed them so thought I’d join in the fun. We’ve been back home for a week now, photos are sorted and it’s about time I got round to doing this.

I did write a pre-trip report (A Dopey Dream) but I’m a bit technically challenged and don’t know how to link it, so I’ll go over a few details.

Who:

3D238753-070D-4D33-9FD3-B60176AD043E.jpeg
A00A438E-80FC-4E1D-BA68-875A160D93E7.jpeg

Me, Sharon aka Piglet. About to celebrate a scary big birthday (50) next month. This was one of the reasons for the trip. Husband, Darren, older than me 😂. Alice, turned 13 while we were there, and Lexi, 10. We live in Milton Keynes, UK and are DVC members. One day I will find a photo of all of us together that isn’t completely hideous.

Where and When:

Saratoga Springs Resort January 1st to January 13th
Cruising on the Disney Dream January 13th to January

Extras bits:

While we were there I just happened to run a couple of little races. 5k, 10k, half marathon, first ever full marathon. Just the sort of thing that normal people do while they’re on holiday.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
Day 1 cont.

After finally getting the TiW card, it was well into our window for our next FP, Mission:SPACE. The original plan had been to ride the green side on standby first with Darren, then just me and the girls on orange using the FP. He’s tried the orange side once, loved it, but it set off a migraine which ruined the day for him. But the queue for green was crazy, over 30 minutes, it’s always been pretty much a walk on when we’ve done it. This did make me realise though that this would possibly be the case with queues, at least for the first few days, because people were still on their Christmas/New Year breaks.

Anyway Darren knew the girls would prefer the orange side, so I took the girls on. He’s not that bothered about going on a lot of rides, quite happy to sit and chill in the sunshine. The ride was awesome as usual. It was just the three of us in the space capsule, so I had to try and push the spare buttons.

Then it was time for our Test Track FP. No sitting together for the girls on this one, they wanted to design a car each. I was with Alice, so I offered to help her and was told that I could choose the colour. Not much faith in my design skills from my daughter.

F11224EC-8F0B-4D1B-B2A0-EAE98C9CE07B.jpeg
724D28B9-8381-4F29-B314-63CD3F2FE103.jpeg

One day I will remember to tie my hair back during this ride, the ride photo always has either my hair in my face or me trying to hold it down. We beat Darren and Lexi 220 v 210. I like to think the colour made the difference

On the way out we saw a car Lexi really liked. She loves anything yellow, the only thing better would be a rainbow unicorn car.

5BBC624F-4E0D-4DA6-8E09-742F440364B1.jpeg

Now it was time for lunch at Coral Reef. The girls chose this, I wasn’t sure because our experience here has been a bit inconsistent. But wow, lunch was excellent today. We started with some calamari to share, which everyone mostly shovelled in before I could get a picture

26D651B4-CD03-4F49-8889-EAC641FFEC11.jpeg

Then shrimp and grits for me. Lexi wasn’t very hungry so she had a side of the lobster mac and cheese

9C4C3C1E-703E-4EA6-A9A6-943D0781583E.jpeg
0AF95767-621B-4422-8E8B-74A9BEC3C3FA.jpeg

Alice had the lobster boil, and Darren chicken and bread pudding.

FE7BFB47-9D6B-43BC-8A62-76E496C91C0F.jpeg

I loved my shrimp, but was a bit jealous of Alice’s lunch, she absolutely raved about it.

We were all pretty full after this, so no desserts today. This was definitely the best meal we’ve ever had here and I’m glad I was persuaded to book it. The only slight downside was that we were on the top tier so didn’t have the best view of the tank, but I’ll take good food over the view.

While we were in the queue for Test Track I’d managed to get an extra FP for Nemo for after lunch, so this is where we headed next. It was a cute, fun ride as usual and we spent some time afterwards wandering round inside the pavilion. I tried to get another FP, but nothing was available until much later. Standby lines were crazy and we were all a bit tired so we decided to leave and spend the rest of the afternoon at the pool.

A short wait for the bus and back to Saratoga. As we got off the bus, there were three kids just stomping through the flower beds with no sign of any parental supervision. I was pretty angry at this, I love Disney landscaping and it’s just so destructive. Thinking back I kind of wish I’d said something, but I’m always a bit wary of telling other people’s children off. You never know if they’ve got a crazy parent just round the corner.

The weather was absolutely beautiful and we then spent a lovely couple of hours by the Grandstand pool which had hardly any other people by it. The girls spent the whole time in the pool or splash area, Darren fell asleep, and I relaxed with a book and a pina colada.

Unfortunately the sun did start to go down quite early, and it got a bit chilly so we headed back to the room. We didn’t have any dinner plans so just headed over to Artist’s pallette. I can’t remember what the others had, but I had the special which was a turkey dinner. It was just about edible. Luckily I wasn’t that hungry after the big lunch. Then back to the room and had our Garden Grocer order delivered.

We stayed up a bit later this night, it was 9 o’clock when we went to bed. I could hear the fireworks from Epcot as I was reading. We needed plenty of sleep as we had an early start and a busy day planned at Magic Kingdom.

Attachments

• A5D0BBD3-9EFA-4191-B782-03CF57BA939A.jpeg
    A5D0BBD3-9EFA-4191-B782-03CF57BA939A.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 77

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
Day 2: Friday 3rd January

So we were starting to adjust to the time difference and managed to sleep until 5.30 this morning. The girls were still asleep so Darren went to the gym, we had plenty of time before we needed to go out. The plan was to leave about 7 since it was Magic Kingdom EMH starting at 8. The girls were showing no signs of waking up even though I was making quite a lot of noise, so I had to give them a nudge to wake up. By the time they got going and Darren was back and ready it was closer to 7.30 when we left.

A casual stroll to the bus stop turned into a sprint as we saw a MK bus approaching. Luckily we just made it. Then the usual journey around all the bus stops, and the bus was pretty full by the time we left the resort. It wasn’t a very pleasant journey because I had a guy standing next to where I was sitting who was constantly twirling around with a ginormous backpack. I am blaming him for the gross wind type smell that kept drifting over as well 🤢.

The slightly late start hadn’t helped our chances of an easy entrance into MK. The bag check area was absolutely mobbed. Darren had gone through the no bags line, while we waited. I noticed after we’d been waiting a while that the no bags line had got crazy as well. The holdup was a family taking a huge double stroller through with the underneath basket filled up. I think security was very nice letting them through, I would have made them wait in the regular line.

If we’d gotten to MK earlier we were thinking of queuing for Mine Train. But by the time we were actually in the park the queue was huge. So off to Little Mermaid. We do really like this ride, it’s quite fun, and the girls always like to play the little games in the queue. Even when we don’t have to wait, we stop to play and just let everyone go past us.

By then we were quite hungry, so where better to stop for a snack than Gaston’s Tavern. This is our usual early Magic Kingdom breakfast stop. And what else would we eat than ridiculously huge cinnamon buns.

2CDB087F-319A-4173-B9E5-DE7909F82A29.jpeg
88CAA413-FE0E-43E7-A441-5AD94B2FA708.jpeg

I always read about people saying these are too big for one person and that they have to share. Crazy people. I can eat a whole one and I’m piglet sized. This time I had to finish Darren’s as well. All that running does have its benefits.

The girls don’t like cinnamon rolls 😲, so they had chocolate croissants.

F4D80652-342C-4350-982E-795F70DD9174.jpeg

A trip to Gaston’s wouldn’t be complete without a photo on the chair

6796A8A5-D99E-4710-8095-561C56C6C414.jpeg
AA129F21-6C31-4B0F-9508-1A250F2EDEDF.jpeg

And by the teeny, tiny door

91EC8283-6656-447E-9738-FE5FD81499A1.jpeg

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
I'm following along!!

Thanks for following.
Following along! Looking forward to hearing about your races

There will be lots about the races. I’m probably putting it off a bit because I’m still quite emotional about the marathon.

Following along. A cruise and a WDW holiday, a perfect combination. When you said your 20 year old was at uni, I thought you meant Universal, and that made no sense to me. Then I remembered you're from the UK and meant university. :hilarious:

So funny, lost in translation a bit. It’s strange because I Americanise a bit at home, I tend to say stroller, parking lot and diaper. I’m kind of stuck in the middle a bit. And yes, a cruise was wonderful after the parks and especially after all the running.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
Day 2 cont.

So, full of sugar and with it still being quite early, we head out into Fantasyland to see which rides have a short wait.

First stop is Pooh, and Alice is feeling a bit gloomy

92639244-A176-4352-84C3-C92E8132D417.jpeg

Everyone still enjoys the interactive queue

94608C17-DB9E-4CEC-944B-0AB5EDB839AD.jpeg
60CB0891-059B-4B5E-B07D-2C0E5278CCF4.jpeg
5CF0BCB3-0E98-4E63-A132-0EFF1EE23355.jpeg
518E6E3D-7063-4FAC-95AC-11BB29915E12.jpeg
FE65DAD0-9474-4022-8A6B-500BC402FD7A.jpeg

After Winnie the Pooh, the girls wanted to ride on the teacups. Neither Darren or myself can do this ride anymore, so they went on by themselves.

21769308-9C79-4381-9BA8-F72D4CB742F6.jpeg
3CCB46C3-CF3F-4F66-9CEC-40FC7B6A67D4.jpeg

By now Fantasyland was starting to get a bit busy so we just had time for one more ride before heading to our first FP of the day. Lexi decided it should be one of her favourites, Small World, in our family also called the scary dolls ride. The name came about because one of our older daughters, when she was quite little, would talk about what she remembered from previous holidays and what she wanted to do again. She would have quite a long list but said “mummy, not the the dolls ride, that’s really scary”. Now, at age 14, she still hates the ride, so as lovely parents we tried to FaceTime her so that she could share in our enjoyment. Unfortunately we couldn’t connect to WiFi so she missed out.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
Day 2 cont.

It was now time for our first FP of the day, Big Thunder. Darren didn’t want to ride, so it was just me and the girls. Lots of fun as usual. While we were riding I had received a notification that our next FP ride, Pirates, was currently down. We discussed whether to use the now anytime FP for something else, but decided to wait and see if we could ride Pirates later.

There was now a bit of a wait until our next FP, Jungle Cruise, and because it had been quite a while since we’d had our sugary breakfast, it was definitely time for ice cream. Mickey bars and ice cream sandwiches all around. The castle show was just about to start, so we happily ate our ice creams watching the show in the sunshine.

Strangely, I did not take any photos of the ice creams, but I did take these and have no idea what was going on.

BA58DBC3-724F-4E4E-A298-646F6532950D.jpeg
0FF9C0C4-DB1A-41B8-8848-F7DCF9456AAF.jpeg

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
Day 2 cont.

We still had a bit of a wait until our Jungle Cruise FP, so we browsed through the Emporium for a while, (I know it’s not very Disney but I always want to call it the Emporium Galorium). The girls had some Christmas money to spend and wanted to get some ideas. I discouraged them from spending saying they should wait a while, they still didn’t know about the cruise and I didn’t want them to regret spending their money too early. Then Jungle Cruise, with an excellent skipper.

By then it was time for our lunch adr at my favourite character meal, Crystal Palace. We checked in, only waited a little while, and were taken to our table. Food was usual buffet food, but character interaction was a lot of fun.

FBF8FC13-0C3B-452E-A190-CD687CCF0CC0.jpeg
4D7EAF47-34A8-40A0-A3E1-055653597EEA.jpeg
B96A1EE5-05CD-40ED-89E8-0AE26F094805.jpeg
CABF3A0D-FB57-4C80-B10F-3553E5853DFD.jpeg
EA6DF471-1630-4282-B3FA-FED9BC821DBC.jpeg
135C078A-F0B6-4C7E-8399-9DF582966176.jpeg
74CCEBCE-AB22-4BBE-B189-D8D08809549C.jpeg
B7844402-BD9A-4F0B-843A-B1463BFF41BC.jpeg
424CC13E-0D96-4CEF-894C-78FCE5787DFD.jpeg
2546EFE1-E897-40AD-B441-BC03DD0DE884.jpeg

MySmallWorldof4

Day 2 cont.

We still had a bit of a wait until our Jungle Cruise FP, so we browsed through the Emporium for a while, (I know it’s not very Disney but I always want to call it the Emporium Galorium). The girls had some Christmas money to spend and wanted to get some ideas. I discouraged them from spending saying they should wait a while, they still didn’t know about the cruise and I didn’t want them to regret spending their money too early. Then Jungle Cruise, with an excellent skipper.

By then it was time for our lunch adr at my favourite character meal, Crystal Palace. We checked in, only waited a little while, and were taken to our table. Food was usual buffet food, but character interaction was a lot of fun.

View attachment 448155View attachment 448156View attachment 448157View attachment 448158View attachment 448159View attachment 448160View attachment 448161View attachment 448162View attachment 448163View attachment 448164
Beautiful pictures of your girls with the characters.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
Day 2 cont.

I do love the little themed desserts at Crystal Palace. They are so cute.

84B8857E-36EC-4E85-A4B8-17BD57AC8DC1.jpeg

By the time we’d finished lunch, Pirates was working again. So we headed over singing our version of the song, “yo ho, yo ho, a pirate’s after me”. Alice misheard when she was little, so we’ve sang it that way since. Straight on the ride, which we love (although we preferred the old redhead scene). Our photopass picture didn’t turn up for this but we weren’t too bothered, I don’t think we’ve ever had a good photo from this.

I’d tried to get another FP after checking in for Pirates, but like the day before there was nothing until much later and all the current wait times were crazy. The plan had originally been to go straight to Port Orleans Riverside for a food court dinner and to watch Yeehaw Bob. But it was still only early afternoon and we were feeling a bit tired. So we agreed to head off back to the resort, and then decide later what we wanted to do about the evening.

Tragically I had to spend another afternoon lazing round the pool in the sunshine sipping a cocktail. Strawberry daiquiri today.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
Day 2, evening

Feeling refreshed after our afternoon by the pool, we decided that we still wanted to head over to Riverside for the evening. We’d debated where to have dinner, and agreed to wait until Riverside because their food court had a better selection. We didn’t want to have to spend ages getting there (it would have required a bus or boat change at Disney Springs) so we walked over to the main building to get a cab.

Took this while we were waiting, I think this was the only photo I took of Christmas decorations the whole holiday

A13A23DE-2CEC-4690-9B23-54DC82A56249.jpeg

So we arrive at Riverside and walk through to the food court. I’d decided to get one of my favourite meals here, the create your own pasta, so head over to that window. This was to be one of my biggest ever Disney food disappointments, they don’t do it anymore 😭, only have premade pasta meals. I’ve been getting this for years, the last time about 18 months ago. When did it go away? None of us were really sure what we wanted to eat now, so ended up just ordering a family pizza. Huge mistake, they’ve changed the pizza as well. The frozen pizza we’d had in our room a few nights ago was much better. I managed a few bites, then just ate a breadstick. The girls ate some of it. It was lucky we’d had such a good lunch at Crystal Palace, so we weren’t super hungry. I was really upset by this point, Riverside had always been our resort of choice before becoming DVC members and it had always felt so welcoming. It just felt like it wasn’t the same any more.

In the hopes of salvaging the evening we headed over to River Roost Lounge to wait for Bob’s show to start. Luckily someone was leaving so we managed to get a table in the side area. We ordered some drinks, beer and wine for the grown ups, mocktails for the girls

08F6E8CC-3CB3-4B89-9A9B-0270A804798C.jpeg

The girls went to browse around the shop while we relaxed.

Bob’s show was the usual loud, fun nonsense. And his hair still looks good 😂. I’m so glad we decided to go, it completely turned the mood of the evening around for us. I first remember seeing it almost 15 years ago and it’s hardly changed, and I don’t want it to.

The girls still get up and dance

EAF52D67-C34D-4133-93F1-89B82D698E48.jpeg
66B1CDB6-414C-4F10-8683-57D3548F84E6.jpeg

The songs he plays

FA6F6575-8279-4547-ADBE-107A39E5E7A8.jpeg

Only Lexi wanted a photo at the end

69A78BD0-55A0-4168-B3E5-77681B6641CD.jpeg
46873A07-67D2-4547-B408-4451E2B089FF.jpeg

Everyone was tired by now, it had been a pretty long day, so we got a cab back to Saratoga. Straight to bed as we had another busy day planned tomorrow.

Attachments

• A5CBF91F-6DE0-4B0D-84CE-378EBBA66C6E.jpeg
    A5CBF91F-6DE0-4B0D-84CE-378EBBA66C6E.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 2B6C1F25-E874-4950-A7E2-A4CBBDAA83FD.jpeg
    2B6C1F25-E874-4950-A7E2-A4CBBDAA83FD.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 68
  • E07386CF-63B8-4B2B-9EE3-932E532CE84D.jpeg
    E07386CF-63B8-4B2B-9EE3-932E532CE84D.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 68

riverside

So we arrive at Riverside and walk through to the food court. I’d decided to get one of my favourite meals here, the create your own pasta, so head over to that window. This was to be one of my biggest ever Disney food disappointments, they don’t do it anymore 😭, only have premade pasta meals. I’ve been getting this for years, the last time about 18 months ago. When did it go away? None of us were really sure what we wanted to eat now, so ended up just ordering a family pizza. Huge mistake, they’ve changed the pizza as well. The frozen pizza we’d had in our room a few nights ago was much better. I managed a few bites, then just ate a breadstick. The girls ate some of it. It was lucky we’d had such a good lunch at Crystal Palace, so we weren’t super hungry. I was really upset by this point, Riverside had always been our resort of choice before becoming DVC members and it had always felt so welcoming. It just felt like it wasn’t the same any more.
The Riverside Mill has changed so much & it's definitely not for the better. I always loved both the create your own pasta & salads there. Both gone. The flatbreads were great & they're gone too. R got the pizza recently & didn't care for it. At this point I much prefer FQ's food court over Riverside's.
Bob’s show was the usual loud, fun nonsense. And his hair still looks good 😂. I’m so glad we decided to go, it completely turned the mood of the evening around for us. I first remember seeing it almost 15 years ago and it’s hardly changed, and I don’t want it to.
Gotta love Bob!! I love his show also!! I'm glad it hasn't changed either--unlike the food court! :cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom