Yikes--2 ECVs!

Yellow Shoes

Original Poster
I was planning on my elderly father in an ECV--we've done it before with no problems. Now it looks like a broken ankle in December will not be road worthy by April. Dreading the possibility of shepherding a caravan of ECVs. ( So far, I am able to walk) Trying to remember the bus situation. Can 2 ECVs be tied down on each bus?
The stink eye you get with one ECV is bad enough--not looking forward to the looks when folks have to wait for 2 of them.
Anyone know if 2 will fit on the bus?

THANKS.

Goofyernmost

Please... there is a response to the EVC stink eye and it involves a simple hand gesture. Anyway, I needed one in Sept. 2019 because of a (thankfully) temporary disc issue. I almost canceled my trip at least 10 time and then I said to myself, I am not faking this problem. It is real and I'll be damned if a bunch of ignorant people feel they can judge whether or not I actually need one. So I went and rented a EVC and it was indeed necessary. I had a great time and am looking forward to going again without the need for one, but I would have had to cut my trip short if I hadn't had the courage to ignore any and all outside reaction toward it. To be honest, I never even heard one comment about it. So maybe some of that problem is a bit exaggerated.

Rob562

All buses should fit two ECVs/wheelchairs, so unless there's someone in another party with a scooter at the same time, you're ok.

Skyliner cabins, if applicable, fit one scooter at a time, so you'd have to split up.

-Rob

Yellow Shoes

Original Poster
All buses should fit two ECVs/wheelchairs, so unless there's someone in another party with a scooter at the same time, you're ok.

Skyliner cabins, if applicable, fit one scooter at a time, so you'd have to split up.

-Rob
oh yeah--I wasn't thinking about the Skyliner. We are at Copper Creek, so won't be using them much, if at all.

NelleBelle

I wouldn't give another thought to those who are rude enough to comment on one's mobility issues. I'd go and have a great time.

But I don't think that the irritation is necessarily exaggerated either. I think where the ire comes in is when one has been waiting a while in a line for a bus and you get close enough to board the next bus and 2 ECVs pull up just as the bus does and the CM takes them and all 20 family members ahead of everyone else who has been waiting for 45+ minutes and they take up all the seating. I don't think the ire is necessarily directed at the ECVs but at the large families who didn't have to wait, who take up the seats, men who don't offer their seats to mom's carrying tiny babies who then have to try and stand carrying the babies. That's where it comes from.

Yellow Shoes

Original Poster
I wouldn't give another thought to those who are rude enough to comment on one's mobility issues. I'd go and have a great time.

But I don't think that the irritation is necessarily exaggerated either. I think where the ire comes in is when one has been waiting a while in a line for a bus and you get close enough to board the next bus and 2 ECVs pull up just as the bus does and the CM takes them and all 20 family members ahead of everyone else who has been waiting for 45+ minutes and they take up all the seating. I don't think the ire is necessarily directed at the ECVs but at the large families who didn't have to wait, who take up the seats, men who don't offer their seats to mom's carrying tiny babies who then have to try and stand carrying the babies. That's where it comes from.
Agreed. I've been in that line and gotten a bit grumpy when everything stops to load an ECV. And, to tell the truth, I am a bit sheepish and quite aware that we are being given preferential treatment. I'm from the MIdwest, and we are sensitive about that.

ppete1975

I was planning on my elderly father in an ECV--we've done it before with no problems. Now it looks like a broken ankle in December will not be road worthy by April. Dreading the possibility of shepherding a caravan of ECVs. ( So far, I am able to walk) Trying to remember the bus situation. Can 2 ECVs be tied down on each bus?
The stink eye you get with one ECV is bad enough--not looking forward to the looks when folks have to wait for 2 of them.
Anyone know if 2 will fit on the bus?

THANKS.
just remember, the people that give you the stink eye are probably the same people who stay seated when an elderly person, or someone holding babies (ill leave all females out since everyone is all for gender equality though ill always offer my seat to a female) is forced to stand because there are no seats left.

NelleBelle

Agreed. I've been in that line and gotten a bit grumpy when everything stops to load an ECV. And, to tell the truth, I am a bit sheepish and quite aware that we are being given preferential treatment. I'm from the MIdwest, and we are sensitive about that.
I really am not irritated with the ECV and a companion or 2 but when it’s an entire family of 12 loading before everyone when they just walked up (and not 10 kids mind you), there really should be a policy where it’s ECV and 1 companion (minus kids).

Goofyernmost

I really am not irritated with the ECV and a companion or 2 but when it’s an entire family of 12 loading before everyone when they just walked up (and not 10 kids mind you), there really should be a policy where it’s ECV and 1 companion (minus kids).
You can't split up families that have gone on a family reunion very expensive trip to Disney. I know it happens sometimes but I sincerely doubt that a dozen people board all at once anyway. Not everyone likes everything. That said, however, I feel that the situation you have described is not a very common experience. Besides an ECV does not get you to the head of the line. The queues at WDW are wide enough and are able to be negotiated with the ECV. If they are going to the front of the line it is because they have a FP and they all have an issued FP and would be ahead of you anyway. Do you have any idea what you do with the kids while the grown ups are riding the attraction? Free run of the parks?

RememberWhen

You can't split up families that have gone on a family reunion very expensive trip to Disney. I know it happens sometimes but I sincerely doubt that a dozen people board all at once anyway. Not everyone likes everything. That said, however, I feel that the situation you have described is not a very common experience. Besides an ECV does not get you to the head of the line. The queues at WDW are wide enough and are able to be negotiated with the ECV. If they are going to the front of the line it is because they have a FP and they all have an issued FP and would be ahead of you anyway. Do you have any idea what you do with the kids while the grown ups are riding the attraction? Free run of the parks?
She was talking about when boarding a bus. They do load ECVs (and their families) first.

Goofyernmost

She was talking about when boarding a bus. They do load ECVs (and their families) first.
Yes, they do, but that is a safety issue. Can you imagine attempting to board an ECV or a Wheelchair with a bus full of people. And again you cannot leave the children behind without their parents because you might have to wait for another bus. Just be very thankful that you don't have to use one. I can tell you by experience that you can be absolutely healthy one second and one second later you cannot walk without months of physical therapy and then sometimes never be able bodied again. Life offers no such guarantee's and Karma can be a real joy killer.

NelleBelle

Glad you took the time to read what I wrote. 🤦‍♀️ And thank you for explaining how FP works.😉 I would never suggest splitting a large family from riding together on an attraction--they've all waited together (but I do have an issue if someone is saving a place in line and 20 people try to cut in line). And to clarify, I never suggested separating children from adults when ECV board the buses if it's just 2 adults. And depending on the age of said "kids", I'd have no issue with them "running" around the parks as long as they're old enough and responsible enough. Not sure where that even came from! 🤔

NelleBelle

Yes, they do, but that is a safety issue. Can you imagine attempting to board an ECV or a Wheelchair with a bus full of people. And again you cannot leave the children behind without their parents because you might have to wait for another bus. Just be very thankful that you don't have to use one. I can tell you by experience that you can be absolutely healthy one second and one second later you cannot walk without months of physical therapy and then sometimes never be able bodied again. Life offers no such guarantee's and Karma can be a real joy killer.
We've gone to WDW many times where someone in our party used an ECV or wheelchair. In fact, now that I think of it, I think in all the years we've gone, either my mom, MIL, or myself has used an ECV/wheelchair. And frankly, I'd have no issue either waiting in line (which at times the CMs have made us do) or separate and have one of the other adults go with the person with the ECV/wheelchair and others go with the kids. And you are correct...life does not offer any guarantee's. But you'll notice my issue is not with those who use an ECV--I'm a proponent of using whatever you need to enjoy life. But just like Disney had to reassess the previous GAC, they need to reassess the boarding process of ECVs with large parties.

Goofyernmost

We've gone to WDW many times where someone in our party used an ECV or wheelchair. In fact, now that I think of it, I think in all the years we've gone, either my mom, MIL, or myself has used an ECV/wheelchair. And frankly, I'd have no issue either waiting in line (which at times the CMs have made us do) or separate and have one of the other adults go with the person with the ECV/wheelchair and others go with the kids. And you are correct...life does not offer any guarantee's. But you'll notice my issue is not with those who use an ECV--I'm a proponent of using whatever you need to enjoy life. But just like Disney had to reassess the previous GAC, they need to reassess the boarding process of ECVs with large parties.
I'm glad that you agree with a lot of it, however, no, they are doing it right and the only way they can. These people went there as a group and even if they are in a uniform line, if they are ahead of you, they can all get on before you do. Large parties spent a lot more money to be there then any of us singularly did and there is no reason to split them up. Again, I have never seen that happen in all my visits and I feel that this is a very blown-up issue. I find it upsetting to but when the bus is concerned it is obvious that, especially at closing, there will be people waiting. They load first only because of the safety aspect, not because of any favoritism and if they are traveling together they should be allowed to be together. I have always recognized the possibility of that happening mainly because I was a bus driver and I knew why it was being done that way. So, I decided to have a car, either my own or a rental that I use to travel around WDW (and other places). The times that I have used the buses from park to resort, I was aware of the limitations and in the words of Elsa I just let it go. That was the risk I took.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom