Yet another DME question...

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Ok, I know there are a lot of questions about DME but I am asking yet another. I have been to WDW many times but have never used DME. I am trying to convince the wife that we should give it a try this trip just because it would be something new and it would save us some cash on transportation.

Having not taken it before, but reading a few reviews and whatnot, I am wondering how long the typical trip takes? We are staying at the Port Orleans Riverside the first night we arrive.

The big concern is our oldest daughter, 3 1/2, has diabetes. We will have had a long day of travel coming in from Edmonton and while we know the day is likely going to be a tad challenging getting her to eat on a consistent schedule to help with her blood sugar, the main thing for us being able to get to the hotel within a reasonable time after landing to ensure we can get her a proper meal. I'm not so concerned about luggage, we will have all the essentials we'll need, more so travel time.

I've read anything from 40 minutes to 2 hours (worst case). Any feedback from more experienced DME travelers would be most welcome!

Thanks!

Weather_Lady

In our experience, waits at the airport for the ME bus to our resort are typically around 5-10 minutes, although we waited as long as 20 minutes one time. (If you find you have to wait for a bit, this would be a good time for you to hold your spot in line while DW takes your daughter for a potty break, tests her blood sugar, etc.). Once we're on the bus, the trip has taken anywhere from 40 minutes (we were the first stop) to 55 minutes (we were the third and last stop). Typically however, we're arriving at our resort about one hour after we first stepped off the plane (an average of 10 minutes to take the shuttle to the terminal, cross to the B side of the airport and get down to the ME area, 5 minutes to wait for a bus and 45 minutes to wait to the bus to load/drive to the resort).

If I were you, I'd plan on one hour (I think that's a good average touchdown-to-resort time for a family that doesn't have to pause at baggage claim), and keep a healthful snack in whatever bag you're keeping with you, so your daughter can get a bite to eat on the ME bus if it's taking too long to get to your resort. (I think the buses have signs that say no food or drink, but in the case of a diabetic child, I can't imagine there would be any objection.)

My mother was a juvenile diabetic, so I automatically have a big soft spot for your daughter. I hope you all have a smooth trip and a wonderful time! :)

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Thanks for the response, @Weather_Lady! I certainly appreciate the feedback. An hour doesn't seem to be all that bad. My guess is, assuming things do go smoothly, we likely are only gonna save 10-15 minutes by taking another form of transportation (shuttle, cab, etc.) which isn't worth the $$$ we'd pay for round trip service.

I have no doubt we will be fully stocked to ensure she has whatever she needs throughout the travel day, and with the time change that will help us a little bit in terms of having to get an actual dinner meal into her. I'm gonna push hard for DME just to try it. I think the girls will like it!

Thanks again!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Well, that didn't take much convincing! DME booked for the trip. Will likely grab our luggage to take on the coach with us just so we have it when we get to the resort.

Looking forward to a new experience!

Weather_Lady

If you're bringing your luggage with you, the ME bus driver will put it under the bus for you and get it out when you get to your resort. If you choose to tip him, $1 per bag is typical.

We take our bags with us, too -- so far, we've always had our room ready even when we arrive in the morning, and it's nice to be able to unpack and freshen up right away.

Rob562

Of the 5 or 6 times I've taken DME, I've averaged about 70 minutes from stepping off the plane to stepping off the bus at the hotel (and that includes walking through the terminal, taking the tram, bathroom stop, etc).

There's also no requirement that you head directly for the bus. If you get to MCO and find that you need food, there are plenty of food options there for you.

-Rob

SteveW

As Rob562 mentioned, there a plenty of food options at the airport should you need them. I've used DME twice and I was checking in to my resort within an hour of landing. Good luck and have fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom