Yelling at Your Kids at Disney

FoxTheNerd

Original Poster
So, as I'm typing this, I'm getting ready to leave for my last day at Disney world, and I'll be fair when I say that some of the guests are horrible. But, the ones that are the most annoying and the most attention grabbing are the parents that yell at there kids.

Kid has some sort of issue.
Parent gets a bit snappy.
Kid cries.
Parent begins to yell.

That's how it works. Basically, these people are making a bigger fuss than their kids are. I can get past a kid crying. It happens. But I'm not use to seeing fully-grown men and women yell at their kids because they're crying. I mean, they don't know any better? It's like telling a dog not to eat your food. Your dog doesn't know what you're saying, thus he/she doesn't know any better.

Once, we were heading out for The Country Bear Jamboree, which was getting ready to begin. As I walked in, there was a little kid walking out, probably way to young to know she was astray from her mother. Suddenly, a women jumps in front of the door, firmly grabs the girl by the arm, and yells, "Do not run off like that! You almost gave me stroke!" Ok, I see two things wrong with this.

1. Your kid walked off, that's scary, but did it really almost give you stroke?
2. A kid walking is not the attention of the spotlight. This women yelling at her kid so everyone can hear at the entrance to a ride, blocking everyone from entering, is stealing the spotlight.

As we were walking into the Haunted Mansion, I heard two voices. I hear a young kid say, "Is The Haunted Mansion going to be scary?" Following that was a adult, female voice saying, "It's not going to be scary." In all honesty, I think she knew that it was going to be scary for a younger kid. I really think she just wanted to ride it. My mother also told me about one kid who was literally bawling in the stretching room, and the parents still wanted to ride. For those of you who don't know, there is an exit in the stretching room, and it is made for kids who are too scared. It's pretty visible, too. XD

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Berserker3.jpg

Andrew M

2. A kid walking is not the attention of the spotlight. This women yelling at her kid so everyone can hear at the entrance to a ride, blocking everyone from entering, is stealing the spotlight.

Do you have kids?? Have you ever been in a public place with multiple young children, say under the age of 5? They tend to run off if they're not strapped into a stroller, usually in opposite directions. Even if its for a split second and you know you're in an enclosed area, there is nothing scarier than turning around and not seeing your child.

I assure you she's not trying to steal the spotlight from Henry & the gang, she's just trying to keep her small child from running out into a huge sea of people. This isn't exactly someone standing up and yelling at a premier of a Broadway show.. Keep in mind you are in line to see a show performed by animatronic bears in a family theme park, it's bound to happen.

And as for the Haunted Mansion @AshaNeOmah is correct. My 4 year old runs around the house singing grim grinning ghosts and telling his 3yr old sister that he is the ghost host. It's not scary if you present it in a silly way.

Jedi Stitch

Was this to be about abusive parenting? or another level of loud talking/yelling on rides for no reason (to you)? I hate seeing over baring parents not letting their kids have the fun, but then I'm just annoyed by the the parents who forget they are supposed to be parenting on the family vacation. Sometimes it does take putting the fear of god into them, to keep them behaved. Some parents need to scold their children. does it have to be in public, parents prerogative. Volume level of the scolding is a curve based on the louder volume to the closer time to the act. My wife, Daughter, and I had out outs at the start of the rock-in roller coaster, it wasn't pretty, we re composed and magicked on. That just me, working every day, jumping on this board for my Disney fix, until that next sweet time.

ninjaprincesst

So, as I'm typing this, I'm getting ready to leave for my last day at Disney world, and I'll be fair when I say that some of the guests are horrible. But, the ones that are the most annoying and the most attention grabbing are the parents that yell at there kids.

Kid has some sort of issue.
Parent gets a bit snappy.
Kid cries.
Parent begins to yell.

That's how it works. Basically, these people are making a bigger fuss than their kids are. I can get past a kid crying. It happens. But I'm not use to seeing fully-grown men and women yell at their kids because they're crying. I mean, they don't know any better? It's like telling a dog not to eat your food. Your dog doesn't know what you're saying, thus he/she doesn't know any better.

Once, we were heading out for The Country Bear Jamboree, which was getting ready to begin. As I walked in, there was a little kid walking out, probably way to young to know she was astray from her mother. Suddenly, a women jumps in front of the door, firmly grabs the girl by the arm, and yells, "Do not run off like that! You almost gave me stroke!" Ok, I see two things wrong with this.

As we were walking into the Haunted Mansion, I heard two voices. I hear a young kid say, "Is The Haunted Mansion going to be scary?" Following that was a adult, female voice saying, "It's not going to be scary." In all honesty, I think she knew that it was going to be scary for a younger kid. I really think she just wanted to ride it. My mother also told me about one kid who was literally bawling in the stretching room, and the parents still wanted to ride. For those of you who don't know, there is an exit in the stretching room, and it is made for kids who are too scared. It's pretty visible, too. XD
Okay if my kid wanders of she is getting yelled at,if you just let it go,or do the pathetic dont do that, they are just going to do it again because they dint get in trouble so why not do it again, and I don't know are talking about, kids are not stupid they know when they start bawling and throwing a tantrum they know why they are getting yelled at or punished.I would much rather see a parent yell at or discipline than do nothing and let them keep being brats. And the haunted mansion thing, kids are overly dramatic, making them ride the Haunted Mansion is not going to hurt them and chances are once they get on the ride they are going to like it.

FoxTheNerd

Original Poster
It was at this moment, Fox knew what he had started.

To: Andrew C
--------------------
What can I say? I'm a natural critique. XD

To: djdan888
------------------
Diffidently not. Having your kid walk off can be scary. However, if I were in that situation, I would have probably moves aside and talked to my kid quietly about the dangers of walking off. Then again, I'm not a parent, so what can I say?

To:AshaDeOhma
------------------------
Well, it scared the crap out of me. o_o Then again, I'm super sensitive.

To: Andrew M
-------------------
Fair point, actually. No, I don't have kids, because I'm irresponsible, and I did not mean to suggest that is what the mother intended to do.

To: AJH219
---------------
Well, I'm no parent, but that is a fair point. On the other hand, it also determines who your child is. If they don't follow rules, I'm sure more discipline would be needed.

FoxTheNerd

Original Poster
To: Jedi Stitch
-------------------
Goodness no. I really don't like using the word abusive. This is more for me to find out if I'm the only one who finds it kind of repetitive.

To: ninjaprincesst
-----------------------
Yeah. If my kid wondered off, I would lose my living crap. Like I said earlier, though, some kids are easier to work with. I understand this child might have not been very responsive, but at least don't yell at her in a public place, louder than any of the guests, in front of two people trying to get in to the door you're blocking. XD As for The Haunted Mansion, kids can be over dramatic, but it depends who's perspective you're viewing this from. It's real enough for the kids.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Something always worth bearing in mind when you see things in the parks is that you don't know the whole story. You are just seeing a moment of that group of people. You generally have no idea what has happened earlier that day or week. Something if you know the whole story, things can look very different.

Andrew M

Yeah. If my kid wondered off, I would lose my living crap. Like I said earlier, though, some kids are easier to work with. I understand this child might have not been very responsive, but at least don't yell at her in a public place, louder than any of the guests, in front of two people trying to get in to the door you're blocking. XD As for The Haunted Mansion, kids can be over dramatic, but it depends who's perspective you're viewing this from. It's real enough for the kids.

I'm sorry, I should probably leave this be, but I'm in a bad mood from the Yankees winning last night.

If you don't have kids you have no idea about kids being 'easier to work with' or how to properly discipline a small child. Priority number 1 is not having your kid run off into a large crowd and number 1a is reinforcing the fact to your child that this is not acceptable behavior, in some cases raising your voice is the only way to properly convene this message to a toddler in an urgent matter. Delaying people entering an attraction for all of the 10 seconds that this took to unfold is not the priority for the parent. If they wanted to have a long discussion on why we don't run off in public, then sure they should step aside and let everyone pass.

I guess I should know better, but it never ceases to amaze me that amount of 'adults' on this board complaining about the interactions with parents and small children around them in the park. If you can't deal with large families and young children around you and all the shenanigans that may ensue, perhaps Disney World is not the place for you.

Phonedave

I see you do not have kids. It is really easy to say "this is what I would do". Then comes the time when you really have to do it, and all plans go right out the window.

I just went through re-certification for interviewing potential hires at work, so this is fresh in my mind. If you ask a person "tell me about at time you had to deal with an irate customer" they need to answer with an example of when they did so. A "story" of "well, this is what I would do if I had an irate customer" is not acceptable. It holds very little weight in scoring the interview. Why, because people talk a good game, but when things actualy happen, that is the true character of the person.

Should kids be screamed at all the time, of course not. I am a very calm person, but I have raised my voice with my kids plenty of times when they were younger. Sometimes in response to a potentially dangerous behavior, sometimes after repeated "nice" requests to change an action and the same action occurs. Sometimes it is because the kid is looking for a response - so you dont give them one. Other times they need that "shock" of a parent raising their voice to make them realize that you do indeed mean business.

FoxTheNerd

Original Poster
Hey, everyone! I'm going to be deleting the thread in a bit because I think I have worded a few things wrong, and caused unnecessary drama.

JIMINYCR

At Disney you see and hear from all kinds of parents with a variety of parenting skills, dealing with all kinds of children with a vast range of personalities. Some good, some bad. As a parent whose DS is now an adult... I can look back and I will admit there were times I overreacted to situations and times I made mistakes. Parenting is the most difficult job on earth and no one can say their method of parenting is better than an others. Sometimes you make the right call and other times you totally blow it. Hopefully you have a good enough relationship with your child where you can admit your mistakes and can move on and are forgiven. When you do make the right calls and everything works out right, lessons are learned and growth takes place. When your child grows up, you hope you made enough good calls and had enough good influences where you leave the world a responsible, well mannered adult.
If and when you have your own children, your parenting skills will come from how your parents raised you or how that affected you to do things differently. When you are at Disney and see things you dont like.... promise yourself that when you become a parent youll remember do it differently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom