Yacht Club vs Beach Club - is there really a difference?

joejccva71

Original Poster
I'm thinking of upgrading to one of these resorts and I was curious as to what the difference between the two are. The reason I ask is because it appears that the Beach Club has had more positive feedback over Yacht Club. But they basically share everything and are connected internally. The views are practically the same. They share the same incredible pool and "mini water park".

Why do people prefer Beach Club? Have you stayed at both? What do you think?

OneofThree

We just came back from a stay at YC this past December, our first at the resort. From beginning to end, it was a wonderful experience. The room was nice and every interaction with staff was great (save one total breakdown in service at the marketplace). For me, the MK resorts represent the ultimate Disney experience. It may be nostalgia, but I "grew up" at those, and there's still nothing quite like being on Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon. After having returned from our last trip, I was pretty sure the cost of YC just wasn't "worth it", because the theme didn't make me feel like I was "in the bubble". Then, on another forum, I discovered an almost cult-like following for BC. It was amazing how much stronger a following that property seems to have. I just assumed they were basically the same resort but I definitely got a different vibe from those who have stayed there. So although I personally wasn't impressed with the way YC tried to pull off New England (didn't seem at all authentic, and totally felt like the convention center side of the resort), we're looking at making ressies at BC for our anniversary this summer.

2 cents

DisneyJoe

I find YC to be a quieter experience, more relaxed, BC to be a little bit louder - some of that has to do with the fact that Cape May Cafe is on the BC lobby.

Also, I believe all YC rooms have full balconies, there are some BC rooms that have no balconies or 1 person standing balconies.

eliza61nyc

There really is no difference and both resorts share ALL amenities

Gasp!! You are evil and must be destroyed. Just joking.

My opinion.

Yacht club is a bit darker, the overall color palette features blues, brass and woods. think a small yacht. lighting is much more muted
The beach club is much brighter, emphasis is on dusty pales colors. aqua type blues and greens, rose colors. bigger airy windows with white trims.

check back later tonight I'll post pictures of both. (lol, I'm playing at work and don't have pictures on my work computer)

NeedMoreMickey

We've stayed at both and found lobby of the YC to be more quiet. I love both resorts. Usually stay at BC/DVC but always make a trip over to the store at the YC. The remodel wasn't finished the last time we were there so not sure how the store, food area, bar and the restaurants are now but looking forward to seeing them in 30 days.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I have stayed at the Beach Club and walked around both while there. I will say, the YC seems to be a bit quieter. I prefer the market in the YC as they had really good coffee. :) They share pretty much everything, so its really about personal preference. I am booking the Yacht Club for my next trip :)

RandySavage

We just came back from a stay at YC this past December, our first at the resort. From beginning to end, it was a wonderful experience. The room was nice and every interaction with staff was great (save one total breakdown in service at the marketplace). For me, the MK resorts represent the ultimate Disney experience. It may be nostalgia, but I "grew up" at those, and there's still nothing quite like being on Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon. After having returned from our last trip, I was pretty sure the cost of YC just wasn't "worth it", because the theme didn't make me feel like I was "in the bubble". Then, on another forum, I discovered an almost cult-like following for BC. It was amazing how much stronger a following that property seems to have. I just assumed they were basically the same resort but I definitely got a different vibe from those who have stayed there. So although I personally wasn't impressed with the way YC tried to pull off New England (didn't seem at all authentic, and totally felt like the convention center side of the resort), we're looking at making ressies at BC for our anniversary this summer.

2 cents

Interesting you note that. Robert AM Stern designed Disney's 4 hotels themed to late 19th-Century clapboard and shingle-style coastal resorts (Boardwalk, YC+BC and Paris Newport Bay) and in terms of exterior architecture, the only one that doesn't do a decent job reflecting that theme is the Yacht Club, IMO. I like the interior design of YC, but exterior-wise YC looks too modern, ordinary and condo-like to me.

My family is probably part of that BC Cult you mentioned. I was very lucky to grow up going to Beach Club from its opening year - the Halcyon Days when EPCOT was still "Center" and MGM was fresh and growing. Vacations centered on those two parks and MK was a distant afterthought, so Beach Club was a no-brainer as far as location: with a ground floor room near the quiet pool, you could walk from your patio and be in World Showcase in three minutes. First half of the 90s it was WDW's best kept secret.

While there is a place in my heart for Original Poly (with waterfall in lobby, white beach and sunset point) & Original Contemporary (with Fiesta Fun Center and launches to River Country) - and I also really like Original GF and Boardwalk - the pool, feel, style, scents, period costumed staff, legendary greeter Art, probably makes Original Beach Club my all-time favorite resort experience at WDW.

It's no longer the halcyon days. Art has retired. The BC resort room decor, upkeep and costuming have undergone noticable downgrades. New EPCOT doesn't hold very much interest, and until Star Wars land is opened, the BC location factor is negated for us. If offered a free vacation at any WDW resort tomorrow, I'd probably go with Contemporary for its convenience (walk to MK).

OneofThree

Interesting you note that. Robert AM Stern designed Disney's 4 hotels themed to late 19th-Century clapboard and shingle-style coastal resorts (Boardwalk, YC+BC and Paris Newport Bay) and in terms of exterior architecture, the only one that doesn't do a decent job reflecting that theme is the Yacht Club, IMO. I like the interior design of YC, but exterior-wise YC looks too modern, ordinary and condo-like to me.

Nice bit of information there. I'm not familiar with the architect or the in's-and-out's of architectural styles, but I grew up (20 years+) on the South Shore of Massachusetts and just didn't connect the interior or exterior of YC with the real deal. That's not to say the interior and grounds are beautiful. For myself, I guess it's difficult not to view them as anything other than off-the-mark renditions. YC is one of the few WDW resorts that just didn't seem to have it's own "soul", IMO. It appears that BC may be a different story if consensus holds, and I'm looking forward to finding out this summer.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm thinking of upgrading to one of these resorts and I was curious as to what the difference between the two are. The reason I ask is because it appears that the Beach Club has had more positive feedback over Yacht Club. But they basically share everything and are connected internally. The views are practically the same. They share the same incredible pool and "mini water park".

Why do people prefer Beach Club? Have you stayed at both? What do you think?
Having stayed at both, it depends on what fits your style more, but essentially the stay at both is 90% the same since all the amenities are shared between the resorts.

If you're looking for something more quiet/upscale - the Yacht Club would probably be the option (as long as a convention isn't going on). If you're traveling with kids or just enjoy a more active environment, the Beach Club would be your best bet.

Personally I would take the Beach Club just because it's a few less steps than the YC to Epcot, has Cape May (one of our favorite places) in the lobby, the Boardwalk is also relatively closer walking distance, and you can cut through the Boardwalk to head to DHS as well without having to walk all the way around Crescent Lake past the YC and Swan/Dolphin.

correcaminos

While the lobby feels a little more quiet at YC and the colors are slightly different, I don't see much of a difference myself. Since we prefer Epcot to DHS, we prefer BC. That's honestly it for me. We've had fantastic service at both though.

joejccva71

Original Poster
I just realized that dogs are allowed at Yacht Club resort. This is a huge downside to me. The last thing I want is a dog barking every 2 minutes, pooping and peeing on walkways or in grass at the resort, and having that "dog smell" in rooms after guests leave.

This is NOT a good decision by Disney. Leave your dogs at home. What if people are allergic to dogs? Guess there not staying at the Yacht Club.

I understand they have particular rooms on floors where they're considered "dog rooms" and they're not allowed on other areas in the building, but what about taking your dog out to go to the bathroom? Are you policing that poop? I bet many people don't.

Who's brilliant idea was this? If I was spending $100 a night, i wouldn't really care as much, but I'm spending $500-600 a night and I don't want to hear dogs barking, or have an owner not pick up their dog poop. The resort said there are designated areas where people are only allowed to walk their dogs in. That doesn't happen. I watched a video here and people were walking their dog on the MAIN board walkway.

The Beach Club is all booked up now, but the Boardwalk Inn has rooms available and I'm debating doing that now. What a pain in the .

Last edited:

OneofThree

Who's brilliant idea was this? If I was spending $100 a night, i wouldn't really care as much, but I'm spending $500-600 a night and I don't want to hear dogs barking, or have an owner not pick up their dog poop.

Agreed -the policy is absolutely ridiculous. Knowing that Disney avoids conflict with guests at all costs, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the prospect of them effectively dealing with barking dogs in the rooms, for example.

but the Boardwalk Inn has rooms available and I'm debating doing that now. What a pain in the ***.

I don't know what your original plan "A" was, but there's nothing wrong with the Boardwalk Inn. Same access to Epcot and HS, and that resort seems to have a very strong following as well. Also don't know if you're staying club level, but many suggest that Boardwalk's concierge is on another level from many of the other resorts.

joejccva71

Original Poster
I don't know what your original plan "A" was, but there's nothing wrong with the Boardwalk Inn. Same access to Epcot and HS, and that resort seems to have a very strong following as well. Also don't know if you're staying club level, but many suggest that Boardwalk's concierge is on another level from many of the other resorts.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is concierge? Is that just Club Level where you dont really get a better room but you get extras like complimentary breakfast, etc?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom